Got permission to buy my dream bike, a 2013 Multistrada

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ULEWZ

Reaction score
Warning, this is long winded, so I apologize in advance.

So I finally got permission from the finance minister to get my dream bike, a 2013 Ducati Multistrada S. What's better than to find a motorcycle that has lots of gadgets (suspension, traction control, etc.), a decent range (5.2 gallon tank), is lighter than the FJR (by about 100 pounds), and can handle touring as well as the occasional track day? Plus it is a sexy, great looking Italian.

I found a used 2013 for sale that had some minor damage from a tip over. After reviewing the pictures the guy sent me, I looked up the cost of replacement parts at Pro Italia’s online parts site. The cost, $1,705, but as all the damage was cosmetic, I could fix them in time. Problem one averted.

So I go to look at the bike and he advised me that the skyhook suspension system is malfunctioning (DSS error) and there is a recall, but it will be fixed under warranty. He also said it just came out of the shop for another warranty issue for a chaffing wire, and there was a third recall for some fuel tank issue, but parts were not yet available. (So this is a 2013 model with these problems?). So I tell myself, no problem, it will all be fixed (remember this is my dream bike).

Then came the test ride. I immediately notice the vibration at idle through my hands. No problem, I don’t sit at stop lights much right? Then I take off. Not bad at first as I twist the throttle, then all of a sudden an 800 pound gorilla throws the bike forward at warp speed and nearly rips my arms out of their socket. Did I mention that the front end gets light really easy?

Not a smooth delivery at all, but I can manage me thinks.

Then I used the now patented one handed mechanism to set the windscreen height on the fly. It basically involves squeezing two levers together and moving the screen up or down. Sounds easy, but I needed to wiggle the squeezed handles fore and aft to get it to move. An annoyance, but I can manage. So did the windscreen block any wind, heck no. I was better off with it all the way down than up. I can buy an aftermarket windscreen though, so all is good.

Then I hit the brakes, and the front end dove down. I thought this skyhook thingy was supposed to keep that from happening (must be the broken accelerometer in the recall?). I can always put more fluid or heavier springs in right?

The seat was not too comfortable, but neither was my FJR when I first got it, so an aftermarket seat would be required. No biggie, I do that for all my bike when I first get them.

But my FJR has cruise control that I really like. No problem, there is a company called TuneBoy that has a $400 dollar mod to enable a makeshift, but functional cruise control using the starter button. Another problem averted.

Then the real test. I like to hang off in the twisties, moving side to side in my seat. So how was that? Not good. This seat is made for Lilliputians, not someone of my height of 6 feet tall. It was very difficult to move around, as the front to back seat distance is very limited.

So why my interest in this Multistrada. BTSOM.

I will be keeping my 2007 FJR1300 for some time until the mood strikes or something is so good, I can not resist.

My FJR with Penski shock, and racetech fork internals, handles better than the Multi, it is way more comfortable, has greater range, an electric wind screen that actually blocks the wind, and a VERY smooth power delivery. I didn’t use to think so, but after riding the multi, it definitely does.

The Multistrada 1200 is definately a fun bike to ride, with the 4 different modes you should be able to set it for the type of riding you will be doing.

Sounds like that puppy has been rode hard and put away wet. That is not my experience with the Multi, still I wouldn't trade my FJR for one.

I test rode a Multi last year in New Orleans...I don't get what the attraction is to it. Twas not really impressed, especially at the retail price they were asking.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Friend of mine swapped his FJR for one. He wanted a change.

Click on image for larger view]

I nearly fell over laughing when he asked me to rotate his wheel while he sprayed his chain.

So why my interest in this Multistrada. BTSOM.

I will be keeping my 2007 FJR1300 for some time until the mood strikes or something is so good, I can not resist.

My FJR with Penski shock, and racetech fork internals, handles better than the Multi, it is way more comfortable, has greater range, an electric wind screen that actually blocks the wind, and a VERY smooth power delivery. I didn’t use to think so, but after riding the multi, it definitely does.
You forgot maintenance costs. One of my friends has a 2013 MS and the 7500 and 15000 service costs totaled $2300.

From reading the post....
It sounds like he has permission, but is not buying it.

Can't say as I blame you after reading through your thought's and fixes in the post.
uhoh.gif
Why, somebody actually read the whole long winded rant. Thank you, and yes, you are correct. NO multi for me even though I have clearance.

I read the whole thing and found it quite well done and not long winded at all. I thought it was an excellent post.

I have suffered the pain of discovering that a "dream bike" is actually a nightmare. That feeling sucks. Perhaps the example you tested is not representative of the MultiStrada. Perhaps that one was just junk, and not all of them are.

The problem I have with the FJR and my own ST1300 is that these bikes are so competent and do so much so well that when you switch to something a little more "specialized", that bike will come up short in other categories. In short, the FJR spoils us. It is hard to give up so much two wheeled goodness.

I will repeat what is all over this forum, the difference between the Gen2 and the Gen3 ES is big. And that difference might be worth looking into if you are wanting to upgrade your Gen2.

Of course, nothing sounds like a Ducati. And I like the MultiStrada quite a lot though I have never ridden one.

Sounds like a good one to pass up...too many gotta fix-its.

I've ridden a MS during Ducati demo days, fun bike and with short seat-to-bars dimension it definitely locks you into place. Not my cup of tea...

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats. A few riders I know have MS's and really like them. The newer models like your 2013 are improved over the originals.

From reading the post....
It sounds like he has permission, but is not buying it.

Can't say as I blame you after reading through your thought's and fixes in the post.
uhoh.gif
After re-reading the posting and figured out what was meant by "So why my interest in this Multistrada. BTSOM." I agree.

Permission? What are you 6?
Married 27 years. You?
angel.gif
Of course, when you've been married getting on for 45 years, She doesn't just give permission, She buys it for you
smile.png
Will be married 40 years this coming April.
That is true. FJR was my birthday present last year. She didn't ask me. Of course she bought herself a F800GS for her birthday this year. She didn't ask me.

Latest posts