Got pulled over for headlight modulators...a week before leaving TX for GA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
About a week and a half ago I got pulled over for having "flashing lights". The cop was coming the other way, saw my headlight modulators, and flipped on his lights, turned around, and had me pull over.

He started out with a bit of a "tough guy" attitude (understandable since the area I was in seems to have a lot of hotheads, and a fair number of the "sportier" looking bikes have idiots riding them). But I talked and explained that it was for safety. He said that flashing lights were illegal in TX except on emergency vehicles. I counter-explained that it was a federal law that motorcycles are allowed flashing headlights, provided that they strobed with a certain rate of (I guessed) around 240 times a second, and that it specifically said that it supercedes any local laws that would prevent it.

Of course, stupid me didn't have a copy of the law on me or with the bike :headbonk: . Well, he just asked for my phone number since the address on my license was no longer current and asked what unit I was in (I'm in the military and it was right outside the military base) and that if he didn't find the law, I'd get a phone call with a court date. I asked him that if he didn't find it, could he somehow make sure the court date was as soon as possible so I could appear and bring a copy with me and fight it before I left TX.

He didn't call (I'm sure he just asked his motorcycle cop buddies who helped him learn something new). I don't blame him for not knowing. You can't know EVERY law. But he at least was respectful (I'm sure it helped that I was respectful in return).

So if you have modulators....BRING A COPY OF THE LAW WITH YOU!

I learned and now have TWO copies (so they can keep one if they want). Should've had it before, but oh well.

Just a successful pull-over story. It's nice to win when you're right instead of having to PROVE that you were right (another thread made me think about that so I put this up.

If you have a "win", let us know. Might be nice to read some just for fun.

Alexi

No wins, but no losses either.

I only began running the modulator last month, the beginning of this riding season. I do carry a copy of the law with me.

One of the local LEOs has since begun to wave to me as we pass one another. At least I think it's a wave, could be he's just shielding his eyes from the evil flashing lights. :dntknw:

I Like 'em but took them off when my last set of bulbs had to be replaced. I have personally had several instances of idiots pulling over and almost hitting me in steady 20-25mph traffic on the main road leading to the interstate. After blowing my top in each case I was met with a sincere apology that they looked in their side view mirror and thought I was 'flashing" my lights as approval for them to come over to my lane. Three different occasions in just 6 months and the last one came feet from tagging me.

I know they have their advanatges but that's 3 to many close calls for me in 6 months. I put them on to be noticed, not sideswiped. They may g back on eventually...we'll see.

No issues around here with the police but I have had several cuss words thrown my way after exiting the interstate by people who thought I was a cop coming up behind them when they were speeding.

On topic, it does pay to play nice when pulled over. Of course, being a big boobed yound beautiful gurl doesn't hurt either.. :rolleyes:

Edit - not that you're either of those.. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had anyone mistaking my modulator for a 'please cut me off' signal, though in combination with my HID driving lights, I have had a number of cell phone users (and just regular speeders) pull over and stop, thinking I was a cop.

I think my next helmet will be white.

And, your guess at least had the right number, even if it was 60 times the legal rate of 240 fpm (4 per second).

Just a thought, but suppose a cop pulls you over and you prove him wrong. Just possible he'll look real close at all your other equipment, unless you're VERY diplomatic about the lesson you just gave him. :rolleyes:

This is the copy I keep in my tank bag. Was that wonderful Killeen PD that pulled you over? I was an MP on Fort Hood for many years and I know Killeen was never a real big fan of soldiers, which I never understood.

Print this page to keep with you on your motorcycle in case you get stopped by the Police.

This Federal law supersedes all state laws and makes motorcycle headlight modulators legal in all 50 states. FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section. Title 49 USC 30103 (b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108. Click here to see the regulation.

Code of Federal Regulation - Title 49, Volume 5, Parts 400 to 999 - Revised as of October 1, 2000

From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access [CITE: 49CFR571.108] [Page 236-307]

TITLE 49: TRANSPORTATION - CHAPTER V, NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

PART 571, FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS - Subpart B--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards - Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108;

Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment - S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.

S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a

lesser intensity, provided that:

(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 <plus-minus> 40 cycles per minute.

( B) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.

© The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.

(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.

(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.

(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.

(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.

(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.

S7.9.4.2(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum

wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g)

when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so

that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.

( B) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the

road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.

A number of years back, not on the FJR I got pulled over in the State Of Jefferson, I-5 just south of Yreka. Fuzz was northbound, I was southbound ...he zipped around like I had just robbed a bank and pulled me over. Said he thought I was an emergency vehicle and coldn't make out what dept/jurisdiction because the blue bike silver helmet he did not recognize. He let me go, he said my modulator was going to slow --which was BS and the fuzz knew it, he just needed an excuse. He let me go with no further hassle.

Now wiser and more mature, I really limit modulator use. They're more of a distraction than they're worth and cause many a motorist to freak out which is more dangerous than not having one. On one non-FJR bike I do run a modulator in ONE headlight, which cuts down the drama considerably.

The "Hey Look At Me" is not anything I want, I prefer stealth. Maturity I suppose.

I installed a modulator last summer. I have noticed a few LEOs take a long look as I go by, and even saw one LEO point it out to his partner in the car. So, I guess they know they are legal around here but don't see them very often.

It is a little different riding with a modulator. I have car drivers pull over for me once in a while. I don't know if they are being polite (not normal around here), annoyed by the flashing in their mirror, or think I'm some sort of emergency vehicle.

One of the keys is to steer the discussion away from the term "flashing" and point out that the design of modulators is, by law (another point for you), made to never completely turn off the bulb; it simply dims it at about 240 times a minute. It's this fast dimming that makes them different from emergency vehicle lights which really to flash off and on. It's also why it's a DOT allowance.

One of the keys is to steer the discussion away from the term "flashing" and point out that the design of modulators is, by law (another point for you), made to never completely turn off the bulb; it simply dims it at about 240 times a minute. It's this fast dimming that makes them different from emergency vehicle lights which really to flash off and on. It's also why it's a DOT allowance.
And it also is a lot easier on light bulbs.

Was that wonderful Killeen PD that pulled you over? I was an MP on Fort Hood for many years and I know Killeen was never a real big fan of soldiers, which I never understood.
Yup. And they still aren't fans. To the point of actually calling my colleague a liar to his face when he tried to report his car as stolen since he was carjacked at the local mall. They found his car three days later, and when he asked where it was (since he ran away from his captors), they responded, "Right where you left it." I wish I was there to ream that cop a new one. But I digress....
I haven't had anyone mistake it for me flashing to "let them in" yet, but I HAVE had three occasions (in the three months that I've had it) where a car started to pull out in front of me and then for some reason NOTICED me and hit the brakes sharply and backed up back into the cross street to wait for me to go by. I've also had people pull over in front of me probably mistaking me for a policebike. Which is FINE with me if they want to get out of my way and let me pass. Just one less car in front of me I have to worry about.

And I'm all about getting a white or hi-viz helmet as my next one. I'll probably put some reflective tape on that one too.

And yes, if you're gonna teach a cop about the law and why it's allowed, be VERY diplomatic about it. Lest they write you for that 56 in a 55 mph zone after you call him a "moron for not knowing the law".......

Alexi

I have a police type of light on my bike. 3 little LED 3 watt lights. They have about 6 different flash settings. Some that mimick a police strobe. (got pulled over using that one) The one I use pulses at 2 times per second. The law allows you 240 pulses per minute (both in the US and Canada). I carry a copy of the law from both Countries. Just like a Police light , you can see this for miles!I purchased the light locally and the vendor has put me on his website. Take a look.

|

|

|

\ / then go to the Galleries page and look for "Yamaha Motorcycle"

https://stealthtech.mybigcommerce.com/produ...ning-Light.html

I have a police type of light on my bike. 3 little LED 3 watt lights. They have about 6 different flash settings. Some that mimick a police strobe. (got pulled over using that one) The one I use pulses at 2 times per second. The law allows you 240 pulses per minute (both in the US and Canada). I carry a copy of the law from both Countries. Just like a Police light , you can see this for miles!I purchased the light locally and the vendor has put me on his website. Take a look.
|

|

|

\ / then go to the Galleries page and look for "Yamaha Motorcycle"

https://stealthtech.mybigcommerce.com/produ...ning-Light.html

You only need to meet (and presumably carry a copy of) the statute as it applies to YOUR country because there is a reciprocal agreement in place, though it doesn't hurt to carry both, since it will familiarize the officer with his own laws. I suppose.

However I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if it doesn't modulate the headlight according to the specific rules and if it doesn't have a light sensor, then it just isn't covered by the Federal statutes - what you have MAY be legal in some states, or it may not, but the section dealing with headlight modulators does not describe your installation.

The headlight modulator is a very specific device and operates (and fails) in a very predictable way and can ONLY be used on your high OR low beams during the period from a half hour after dawn to a point 30 minutes before dusk, controlled by the ambient light sensor, which itself has specific mounting requirements.

I have a police type of light on my bike. 3 little LED 3 watt lights.
I can vouch for Robs strobe. That sucker gets your attention. But I'm afraid Bram is probably right in stating that its illegal.

That being said. So what. I'd much rather have to pay a fine than have some stoned ass, fart canned civic, racer boy wanna be pull out and put me down for the count.

As for the modulators, I still haven't been pulled over for mine, but I don't use them all the time either. Light to medium traffic in town, or on a 2 lane straightaway with a dotted line I'll use them. Otherwise their off. Oh, and occasionally I'll flip them on if somebody needs to move their ass over. :D

4313217092_4b44c42152.jpg

4313217096_5c5aa08206.jpg

Latest posts