• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

GP Suspension 8th Annual FJR Forum Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoke with a lady on the phone today at GP (wish I would have gotten her name...I suck at that) and she answered all the questions I had, even the really dumb ones. I even got tips on how to ship my forks. I'm really looking forward to seeing how big of an improvement this is going to make.

Spoke with a lady on the phone today at GP (wish I would have gotten her name...I suck at that) and she answered all the questions I had, even the really dumb ones. I even got tips on how to ship my forks. I'm really looking forward to seeing how big of an improvement this is going to make.
That would be April, Barry's wife.

That would be April, Barry's wife.
That's it, thanks. Very nice lady, very knowledgable too.

Yes, she has been around the race track with Barry since he started road racing in the mid 90's. And you are correct, she is a very nice lady.

AND.... not only is she Barry's wife, she's also a rider, racer and enthusiast: https://www.kfgracing.com/staff.asp
Very cool. I didn't know April had raced.
bike.gif
punk.gif
smile.png

OK gentlemen. I have been going back and forth with April at GP on the Ohlins. Apparently Ohlins wouldn't commit as to the YA707 working on the 2013 model. I know we have a few suspension experts here. Do you think it would be advisable for me to have her order the YA707 and assume it will work just like it would on a 2012? Or is the risk to high that it will not work on the 2013 and I will be stuck with a non-installable shock?

I have done the basic work, checking the parts fiche and the relay arm is the same P/N for the 2012 and the 2013. Swingarms are the same. Is the 2013 pretty much the same as the 2012 except for the revised factory shock???

Last edited by a moderator:
OK gentlemen. I have been going back and forth with April at GP on the Ohlins. Apparently Ohlins wouldn't commit as to the YA707 working on the 2013 model. I know we have a few suspension experts here. Do you think it would be advisable for me to have her order the YA707 and assume it will work just like it would on a 2012? Or is the risk to high that it will not work on the 2013 and I will be stuck with a non-installable shock?
I think there is a 99.9 percent chance that if the YA707 works on a 2012 it will also work on a 2013......especially since someone on this forum installed a 2013 shock on a earlier year FJR.

Thanks MC. I talked with April and I am going with the Ohlins YA707. I will confirm fitment when it arrives here in the cold frozen north.

Good call on the Ohlins! I have one (YA707) on my 2013 that I purchased from a gentleman who had it on his 2009 Gen 2 and it fit perfectly.

No worries....it fits! And WOW what a difference!!
punk.gif

Forks only for my '09 this year. My winter daily driver and year-round grocery getter ate it's #3 cylinder on Nov 11 so I had to buy a replacement. Nissan Altima in excellent condition that should take care of my car needs for some time. The upgraded valves and new spring for the forks may make it difficult to wait, I'll find out when it warms up some. 26F this morning.

1426473_10153499184270103_183899527_n.jpg

I have a set of Gen2 forks with the new 25mm Fork Cartridge Kit with Upgraded Fork Caps on loan from GP for anyone in the PNW to try out, I just installed them on my bike and need to get them dialed in by GP.

Update, I rode in to GP to get the forks setup and they ride great, I will be putting on more mile when it's a little warmer. We will be having a demo ride at our PNW Spring Tech Meet and we will have different springs rates to change out for riders weight.

Thank you Barry for setting this up for us.
punk.gif

My big box arrived today. Inside was a golden sight to behold...if it weren't -3F right now I would consider going out in the garage and working on the install right now...but -3F??? Sorry, it can sit in the nice warm house with me.

My big box arrived today. Inside was a golden sight to behold...if it weren't -3F right now I would consider going out in the garage and working on the install right now...but -3F??? Sorry, it can sit in the nice warm house with me.
Besides, I don't guess you would be able to ride it anyway. Right? A little white stuff around?

Hi April/Barry,

After waiting a few weeks for my kit to arrive I was able to have them installed by Jim at Catalyst the day after Xmas. Over night turn-around so no down time.

I road back up Saturday to have him double check the settings and after some additional pre-load was dialed in he called it good. Wow ... I can't believe how

this as transformed the bike for me. The stock suspension was less than mediocre for me. It was down right scary until Yamaha replaced the complete right

fork. Although that helped, it was a far cry from the old 2004 FJR with the GP kit in it. I'm very pleased with the results and thanks for bearing with me as I

pestered April a bit as the ship date drug out a bit :) I have the Ohlins on the rear from an earlier project so I'm all set. I've put a couple of hundred

miles on so far and the all I can say is that I don't even think about the suspension any more. I just ride. Great job on the 25mm kits!!

Happy Holidays,

Regards,

Gary

Hi April/Barry,
After waiting a few weeks for my kit to arrive I was able to have them installed by Jim at Catalyst the day after Xmas. Over night turn-around so no down time.

I road back up Saturday to have him double check the settings and after some additional pre-load was dialed in he called it good. Wow ... I can't believe how

this as transformed the bike for me. The stock suspension was less than mediocre for me. It was down right scary until Yamaha replaced the complete right

fork. Although that helped, it was a far cry from the old 2004 FJR with the GP kit in it. I'm very pleased with the results and thanks for bearing with me as I

pestered April a bit as the ship date drug out a bit
smile.png
I have the Ohlins on the rear from an earlier project so I'm all set. I've put a couple of hundred

miles on so far and the all I can say is that I don't even think about the suspension any more. I just ride. Great job on the 25mm kits!!

Happy Holidays,

Regards,

Gary
Thank you for the feedback Gary, we are thrilled that you are so happy with the results. Please let us know if you ever have any tuning questions, or any other question for that matter. We appreciated your business and product review, it only makes us better!

Can I get some feedback regarding differences between the standard fork upgrade and the cartridge setup?

At ~$1000 price difference, I would think that they must be magical. I am on 40K stock components. Previous to the availability of the 25mm cartridge upgrade, the compression and rebound valving was all that GP offered. Are they worth the $340?