GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frayne

Reaction score
Being the luddite that I am, I still use maps when traveling. I like the concept of the GPS but they seem a little pricey and I question thier value. Just curious as to what most think and use. Do they make a relaively cheap hand held/pocket model that would be practical ? Just want to hear what most here think ? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Oh and just for the record I have never been lost, sidetracked a few times, but never lost.

I am not really a Luddite, but I am very careful with my money and don't like to buy things that are not necessary. After thinking about it for over a year I finally broke down and bought a Garmin 2720 on clearance and now I can't imagine riding outside my neighborhood without it. The best thing is that I can ride for a while without paying attention to where I am headed and then ask Karen (the voice on my Garmin) to take me home. It usually finds a few roads I have never been on before. The other advantages are that it will help find fuel, food, and lodging when you are traveling.

You don't need the expensive models with all the bells and whistles unless you like that sort of thing.

When you mount it make sure you put it where you can easily see the screen without taking your eyes off the road for more than a split second. Looking down at a map in a tank bag takes a dangerously long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The convenience of it definitely justifies the cost IMHO. I have a Garmin 2730 with the XM radio built into it and totally love it. One thing that I use quite often is the search feature to find gas, food, etc...in an area I am in which is something you won't get off a conventional map. The nice thing is you always have the option of turning it off and going back to the "old school" method of navigation. I have heard some people on the forum say they had GPS and then got rid of it because they found it to distracting but for me it all good.

As much as I enjoy my Zumo , I'd have to say for the most part a GPS would go under the "Handy Tool" catagory of farkles and unless you are an Iron Butt rider or full time Tourer , you can get by with a map.

What got another Old School guy like me to blow the cash on the Zumo was the other options...XM radio with weather and traffic, MP3 player , Bluetooth Phone controls, and the fact that I can use the thing in my car also. (I so far have logged more miles using the GPS in my MX5 than my FJR)

To me the thing is now more than just "Handy". With all it's features I can't see settling for a cheap (and smaller) handheld unit. The price was a bit much for me, but I have got my moneys worth out of it.

I think after you add all the comfort and safety farkles you want to your bike, (Seats, windscreens, sliders, etc) adding a GPS is a logical next step. These are Sport Touring bikes, so if you do use it for this purpose, a feature packed GPS like the Zumo becomes very very "handy". Being able to use it for family trips in your cage even more so....

KM

If you are worried about the money spent, just get a base model like the Garmin Streetpilot III. I just bought one for under 200.00, ebay. It is not equiped with all the bells and wistles (XM, weather) but comes with codes to unlock maps, program 128mb worth of detailed maps. It is worth every penny, and I haven't even used it on the bike yet. I have used it to find homes of probationers and it works well. I bought the deluxe model, comes with everything you will need for the car. You still will have to get a motorcycle mount and wire it. BTW, mine came reman from Garmin with a 1year warranty and I bought a 2 yr extended for like $15.00.

I have a Zumo 550, Autocom Active Plus and a Kenwood TK-3101 and they are priceless to me. I am directionally challenged and tend to focus on the road and line of site (which I am ok with) so this leaves me needing a GPS since my wife left my back seat, she used to do it for me.

Here is an example from my trip to Nova Scotia Canada this summer. I preset a route in the Zumo in the morning so all day long it is talking to me when it is time to turn and constantly showing me a map of where I have been and where I am going (there are buttons to show me my next turn info and a console with all kinds of driving data and elevation too). When it is time for lunch I push the touch screen for food, select a restaurant and push a button to take me there. When we get back on the bikes I am two buttons away from resuming my original route and it will take me back to it in the best possible way too. When it's time to pull in for the night I push lodging, motel and a list of choices pop up sorted by distance. I pick one out and push dial (forgot to mention that when I am within 30 feet of my Zumo my RAZR pairs with it and syncs the contacts file) and I am talking to the desk clerk. I get my rates and availability and push the screen to hang up then to guide me there. My wife on here VFR can hear my side of the conversation over the Kenwood radio and we talk about it while making the choice and while we are on the way there. And I am listening to the Zumo's MP3 player while I ride.

This stuff works great. My initial install notes and photos are here:

https://www.goldwingusa.com/autocom/

Having gone the cheap handheld route for several years, I'd advise against that option. Not enough functionality on a bike to justify the cost (I had an eMap). Paper maps or driving directions printed off of mapquest or something similar worked better for me than the handheld.

I love my zumo 550, though. Huge database of roadside services, voice prompts, pretty good routing (though you can still put your own in), MP3 player (I listened to a lot of music and an audiobook while logging a bunch of time on midwest interstates last week), and integration with your phone -- I like all that stuff.

I have the Zumo 550 and love it. The unit is great during my weekend trips. The unit helps me find fuel, good food, and lodging if needed. However, I use the Zumo more then just my weekend trips.

I do use the POIs (Point of Interest). I recently put my Zumo in the wife's car for her trip to OR to spend a week with her mother. The unit helped her find her mothers new place and gave them both things to do during the week. My wife went online and downloaded the free POI files for water falls and covered bridges in OR. They spent a couple days just driving around OR looking at water falls and bridges.

The POI file I use the most is the safety camera alert. My Zumo is set to alert me one mile ahead of those dang cameras which takes a picture of your plate so they can mail you speeding ticket.

***Edit***

I also used the database of services a couple months back. My Wife and I took a 5 hour trip to watch her son graduate Jr. High. The plan was her son would spend the first part of the summer with his father, then the second half with us. Somehow things got screwed up and we needed to bring him home with us. Fitting thee people on the FJR was not an option. So, using the Zumo I searched rental car places and found the three closest and gave them a call to rent a car. Call them a was easy since the Zumo gave me their phone number.

I have found the wife a few times using the database of services as a phone book. If we are out and about in the car or bike she looks up phone numbers of restaurants to call and see if there is a wait.

I've got a GPS (2610) and love it. I would caution though that it makes sense to have some sort of paper backup, in case you lose your electrical power source for one reason or another. Situations like that can turn bad quickly, if you have no clue as to where your next turn was, or what the name of the next connecting road is.

As others have said, once you go GPS you'll never go back.

No you don't need a Zumo and you can certainly save money on a 1 generation old unit to get your feet wet.

Quest 1's II's aren't to shabby and can be had relatively cheap. I too would recommend against the handheld route, while they are small and portable, and somewhat handy. For more than just a 'you are here' look at things they can be very, very difficult to use on a bike.

I've got a GPS (2610) and love it. I would caution though that it makes sense to have some sort of paper backup, in case you lose your electrical power source for one reason or another. Situations like that can turn bad quickly, if you have no clue as to where your next turn was, or what the name of the next connecting road is.
Zumo 550 runs on internal batteries for about 3 hours when disconnected and has left hand controls which are nice.

I thought them a waste until I rode with some Goldwingers that had them.

I was at one of the ride/rally and met at a set location. We then were led on a hour long ride through backroads to a small town resturaunt to eat. There was about 30 of us and all through dinner more riders kept arriving. I asked them how they knew where we were since they were from all around the country. They said they went to the meeting place and were told the resturaunt we went to then just put that address in the GPS and found us. They then showed me all it could do i.e. locate gas stations, hotels, state parks. Also you can do your own custom routes on the computer, choosing all the nice twisty roads and transfer the routes to the GPS. I also use my Zumo in the car and in the few months I've owned it several friends and my in laws have purchased one also.

Its also nice to just go out ride, get lost then tell the GPS to take you home.

I still carry regular maps of the area I'm riding to get a good overview but use the GPS to keep from looking at hand written directions or having to stop and check the map.

Also I don't use the features but the Zumo and others also have mp3 player, phot viewer, built in XM radio and doppler/satellite weather to avoid rain up ahead.

So bottom line, spend the $$ on a Zumo, its water proof and made for the bike and works in the car also.

I got mine at Abesofmaine.com

My father in law just purchased a nuvi 350 there for his car for $300.

Steve

A big deal for me with the GPS is being able to glance at the screen and know what's coming up on unfamiliar twisties...blind corner switch backs and such.

I like to ride on roads I have not traveled before. I used to end up a little misplaced. I have never been lost as my wife knows. But if you ride until you need a little nudge to find out where you are and how long it will take to get you to where you are going - a map is a little slow. I bought a Garmin Quest 2 - portable enough I move it to my car when I need it there, 20 hour rechargable battery ( I use it on a second bike with no power) or power from the bike/car and water proof to 20 feet (have not tried this feature and it won't be the gps I will be thinking of if I do).

I have really used it and if this one quits I will be getting another gps. Maybe a newer model , but I like the small size and battery life.

The map software it comes with is just ok.

In short it will let you go places you would not normally travel and show you the way home.

Glad to hear your confession of Luddism! If you where a true Luddite, you wouldn't even have a bike.

I've been using my handheld Garmin GPS-V for five years now (discontinued model). Paid ~$500 when it was new. It serves me well. Have used it locally, internationally, in cars, airplanes and my bikes.

Mounted (and tethered) to the top/fwd end of my tankbag w/ velcro. Right where I can see and reach it easily.

Configured to show moving map, speed, elevation and vertical speed.

It is great for exploring roads not shown on maps (paper maps don't have a zoom feature). Also great for locating nearby services, food, parks, etc. Although I still have a map, I can't remember when I last used it.

The main drawback of the older GPS's vs. the newer is in the memory. I have to reload mine (via a very slow USB-to-serial cable) depending on where I'm travelling.

I would like to update to the new Zumo soon, but am waiting for the prices to approach my ~$500 threshold.

I've had a Quest 1 for nearly 3 years now and don't travel without it. The low cost and small size is a real plus. It's so easy to use that my wife and her sister use it on weekend to program yard sales that they want to visit.

Once you go Garmin, you NEVER go back :glare:
I am considering a Zumo, but I'm a bit concerned about the screen size. Is the 2.8"W x 2.1"H screen adequate?

Not sure about those numbers, so I measured mine. Screen is 2-7/8 wide by 2-3/16 tall. Every thing I need to see is legible when it's on the bike or on my windshield of my car.

I find it more than adequate....

KM

Latest posts