• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

GPSUSPENSION.COM GROUP BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have the Ohlin installed yet? If so how do you like it? Is there much of a difference between the Ohlin and the Penske?

I have a question about how many miles do most of you have on your stock shocks before you decided to upgrade? I currently have 23k and the bike seems to handle better since
Dave,

The answer I expect you will get is that your mileage may vary depending on your riding style.

Here's my story... a friend of mine does suspension setups/rebuilds/etc for mainly track and does some street bikes. My riding is solo (wife has her own bike), mainly touring and moderate canyon carving in the mountains (mainly Sierras and coastal range). My friend set my bike up after I had 1500 miles on it with the stock equipment, a world of difference in handling and tire wear. At 24K miles, he serviced the forks before we left on a 5000 mile trip. He said the rear shock was okay but lets check it when you get back. Took the bike by so he could check the rear - "it's time to replace" and he adjusted the front setup. Once he explained how the shock was reacting to a "shock" and having seeing it react earlier prior, I definitely recognize how the bike feels now verses then.

My group buy has been made .....

Roy

After 70,000 miles, including Alaska and the infamous Dalton Hwy, a suspension rebuild and upgrade may be in my near future. :rolleyes:

I want to do the fork overhaul and the shock. I just can't make up my mind which shock. :blink:

The dial adjustable preload on the Ohlins does sound appealing, but how well does it work ? Will it go from 200 lbs riding solo to 400 lbs riding 2 up loaded ?

The high and low speed adjustment on the Penske sounds nice, but do I really need it ?

The adjustable ride hight adjustment on the Penske sounds nice, but again do I need it because I'm OK with the hight of it now ?

I guess I'm leaning toward the Ohlins if the preload has a wide range of adjustment, but any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks A.C.

I want to do the fork overhaul and the shock. I just can't make up my mind which shock. :blink:
The dial adjustable preload on the Ohlins does sound appealing, but how well does it work ? Will it go from 200 lbs riding solo to 400 lbs riding 2 up loaded ?
I had the Ohlins on my CBR1100XX Blackbird that I used for Endurance rallies, and yes, the remote pre-load was EXTREMELY convenient. If you are *frequently* switching back and forth between solo-riding and 2-up riding, a shock with a remote preload adjustment should definitely be considered.

That said... pre-load adjustment on the Penske is a lot easier than on traditional shocks that usually require a large 'C'-spanner to adjust pre-load. The Penske uses a different arraignment that greatly reduces the potential of busting open your knuckles.

The high and low speed adjustment on the Penske sounds nice, but do I really need it ?
Headed to the track? Spend a lot of time in the uber-tight twisties running at a right fair pace? Might want to consider that Penske model, then.

Otherwise, I suspect the Penske #8983 should more than do the job for you. You might want to discuss this with GPSuspension to get their insight on this. No remote pre-load on the Penske, but again, adjusting it is not as bad as other shocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, help me out - I've got $$ for either forks or rear shock, not both. '06 with 17k miles. Seems like forks are the way to go but not sure. Mostly 1 up riding.

OK, help me out - I've got $$ for either forks or rear shock, not both. '06 with 17k miles. Seems like forks are the way to go but not sure. Mostly 1 up riding.

I would say a new rear shock and just get some upgraded fork springs if you can't do the full rebuild. Of course, contacting GPSuspenion would get you the best answer.

414 Beavercreek Road #708

Oregon City, Oregon 97045

Phone: 503.723.7793

Fax: 503.723.7996

[email protected]

Thanks to those that responded to my question about how many miles does one really need to have on their FJR before the stock shock is bad? I know there are a lot of variables to when and why shocks need to be replaced. It seems that the 20,000 mile mark is about the starting point to needing to invest in an upgrade. I know several have doubled this amount before they have upgraded.

As for which one to do first.... I'd like to know that as well. :)

Dave

Thanks to those that responded to my question about how many miles does one really need to have on their FJR before the stock shock is bad? I know there are a lot of variables to when and why shocks need to be replaced. It seems that the 20,000 mile mark is about the starting point to needing to invest in an upgrade. I know several have doubled this amount before they have upgraded.

As for which one to do first.... I'd like to know that as well. :)

Dave
If it's a question of which to do if there is only funding for one side of the bike - forks or shock - .... you do the rear shock before you do the forks.

The reason is that the front forks are fully adjustable for preload, rebound and compression. The stock rear shock is not (certainly at least, has no true pre-load adjustment ability.)

So when you install the new shock, any existing anomalies/shortcomings with the forks are often "magnified". But since the front forks are fully adjustable, you can at least *try* to mitigate the pronounced differences via the adjustment settings. In a vice-versa situation, when freshly overhauled forks makes a marginally-performing rear shock seem all that much worse, you don't have the same adjustment ability in the OEM rear shock.

Last year I did the rebuild and new spring on my Wilburs and all new fork guts. So the FJR is goo to go but I have this 2006 CBR1000RR that could benifit from this.

So question to Dale or someone at GP could I get my CBR Forks done and get a rear shock for iton this group buy?

So question to Dale or someone at GP could I get my CBR Forks done and get a rear shock for iton this group buy?
Yes, no problamo!

This GB is for the benefit of forum members, regardless of the bike they have.

Hi WC,

I've already committed to the fork rebuild.

If possible, I'd appreciate being put on the list for the two way Penske, 8983.

Thanks,

Spinblue

Having the works done to my '05, my question is, should I just sit tight and wait to hear from GP? I'm interested in the ride through service and wonder how late in the season would a ride from L.A. be reasonable. I have family in Roseburg still (grew up there), and would love to do a fair bit of testing before coming home.

If possible, I'd appreciate being put on the list for the two way Penske, 8983.
Done!

Totals to date:

Fork Upgrades: 10

Penske: 10

Ohlins: 2

Shock rebuilds: 3

GPSuspension forks springs: 6

Note on LOGISTICS:

The procedure here is that GPSuspension wants you to WAIT until the Group Buy period is over, then they will contact you via the contact info you provided on the sign-up form. If you have questions you would like answered before then, of course you can certainly call them and chat about your needs. But the processing of this GB orders will begin at the end of the GB period, Oct 5th.

I have added the above info on the opening main post.

Question...

I'm not savvy with the whole bike mechanics/upgrades thing. So the listings for "GP Suspension Fork Springs" and "New Shock Spring", listed at 89 bucks and 85 bucks respectively, are those upgraded springs for the STOCK shocks/forks that are on my 03? I don't have the $$$ for full suspension upgrades, and am considering at least replacing the springs to get some more riding out of them.

Alexi

Yes, for the forks... no, for the shock.

The $85.00 for the shock spring price you see is for those shocks that are being overhauled. If you have an older Wilbers, Penske or Ohlins shock that you are having them re-service, but you also believe the spring rate is wrong or otherwise needs changing, that is what the $85 price refers to.... a new spring to be installed in the overhaul process. Otherwise, they assume the existing shock spring is fine if you don't tell them differently, and it will remain on the shock after servicing.

There is no new rear spring for the FJR1300's factory shock.... that shock is not meant to be re-built.

The procedure here is that GPSuspension wants you to WAIT until the Group Buy period is over, then they will contact you via the contact info you provided on the sign-up form. If you have questions you would like answered before then, of course you can certainly call them and chat about your needs. But the processing of this GB orders will begin at the end of the GB period, Oct 5th.
I have added the above info on the opening main post.
Thanks, I didn't know what the procedure was. :blink:

Yes, for the forks... no, for the shock.
The $85.00 for the shock spring price you see is for those shocks that are being overhauled. If you have an older Wilbers, Penske or Ohlins shock that you are having them re-service, but you also believe the spring rate is wrong or otherwise needs changing, that is what the $85 price refers to.... a new spring to be installed in the overhaul process. Otherwise, they assume the existing shock spring is fine if you don't tell them differently, and it will remain on the shock after servicing.

There is no new rear spring for the FJR1300's factory shock.... that shock is not meant to be re-built.
Thanks for setting me straight Warchild. I don't know much about this stuff. Just put in my information for the fork springs.
One thing, are they likely to contact VIA email? I'm currently deployed and won't be able to answer any phones (I put my fiance's phone so SOMEONE will answer if they call and let them know to use email). Just wondering. Thanks.

Alexi

One thing, are they likely to contact VIA email?
Exactly. It will be via email... which is why I stressed on the intake form to ensure you have no typo's in your email address when you submit the form.

Alexi - If you experience ANY problems whatsoever on this Group Buy, contact me directly via PM. I am particularly interested in ensuring our deployed warriors are taken care of properly. It can sometimes be difficult to get shit accomplished when you are fighting in a war zone. BTDT in the first Gulf War (and conflicts before that), so if you experienced any hiccups, I want to know about it.... okay?