Ground Spider failure (S4)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
Q. How do I know (for certain) if I have a ground spider failure?

A. You don't, but here's some definite symptoms associated with failure of Ground Spider-S4, that 's located in the left side of the engine compartment, tucked behind the coolant rail...

* Bike will not start. Starter does not turn over, click or otherwise show any sign of life.

* When the ignition is initially switched ON; the tach and speedo hands sweep and return to zero as normal.

* With the ignition in the ON position; glovebox will not open, no power to the horn, windshield motor does not move, the turn signal indicators are lit solid, the fuel gauge blinks then pauses, Hi-beam indicator is ON solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got bitten eh? You have mucho mileage on that thing too right? I just inspected mine the other night in prep for the BRMC trip and it looked near new still...but it does stay fresh in my mind. Kinda sucks to have to think about such things...they shoulda done it right the first time.

At some point, I plan to install that alternate harness solution.

95,000 miles

I went from a clean inspection of the spiders to a total spider failure in less than 5-months / 15,000 miles. Apparently when one decides to go, it doesn't waste any time.

I simply soldered a big ass [12 gauge] wire to the #4 widow and # 6 too, grounded them on the steering head and forgot about it.. as suggested by a clever guy elsewhere on the forum.

95,000 milesI went from a clean inspection of the spiders to a total spider failure in less than 5-months / 15,000 miles. Apparently when one decides to go, it doesn't waste any time.
A while back I asked about a similar problem. Took it into Yami and they found nothing. My symptons happened one day. First incident was a the bike not starting but both turn signals on. Bike wouldn't start, Cycled on and off and bike started up. About an hour later my GPS was switching on and off, which I thought was the auxiliary connector in the side compartment. 3rd incident about 1/2 hour later was a puff of smoke and an electrical smell. Made it home.

While at home I discovered if I turned on the flashers the bike would either cutout or stall. At the dealer demo the flasher thing showing there was defintive problem. They had the bike for 2 weeks and found NADA. They checked the Spider connector (or at least they said they did) and it appeared fine. I told them about the one on the left side and they said that one good. I know they did some checking because I had to get some stuff out of the bike and the tank looked as if it was lifted and the left control assembly was apart.

I sure hope this does not bite me in the butt while I am out west. Now I ride around and everytime i smell something electrical i get a sinking feeling. Last time it was probably the 10 wheelers brakes draggin. Very similar smell.

I feel you pain

Willie

Yamaha is replacing the main wiring harness under YES warranty coverage. I'll strip the bike down myself and work with the local dealer to complete the job. A Brodie Grounding Harness is definitely going on that bike too. And to think... I JUST got that bike back together from making a bunch of changes! Arrrrghh!!!

HA, are they replacing the entire harness or only the front sub? On mine, only the sub was replaced - where the damage was.

Oh crap. I think mine may be trying to warn me. ( 07-92k )

Turn on key, gauges sweep, hit starter and get a sound like cellophane being crumpled. Let off starter, gauges sweep again and bike starts right up. This has happened 3x in the last 6-700 mi.

Or does this sound like something else?

HA, are they replacing the entire harness or only the front sub? On mine, only the sub was replaced - where the damage was.
They're replacing the MAIN harness is what I was told. My damage is S4, which branches off that main harness as it passes across the engine compartment. Admittedly, I have NOT studied the harnesses to see exactly what's what, so I could easily be wrong. I'll figure it all out after the part actually arrives from Yamaha.

Just made this up the other day (I got bit last year). Available for anyone to use in their sig line if they like:

groundspider.jpg

What plastic etc. do I need to remove to look at the spider which seems to be the main concern under the left front somewhere? The easiest way - low mechanicl ability.

What plastic etc. do I need to remove to look at the spider which seems to be the main concern under the left front somewhere? The easiest way - low mechanicl ability.
No plastic beyond the plastic tank skirt. Remove the tank and look at the left side front, ahead of the coolant pipe. It is wedged down with the wiring harness.

Well,

Not long ago I suggested you all get some of these:

wire20nuts.jpg

And fix the thing before it breaks.

Here, this should cheer you up while you wait for your harness.

cid_191CACFF-75F8-4411-9C68-1AD470D.gif

My new harness has been installed just over one week now. I should have pushed Yami to replace the front subframe harness as well so all the spiders could be new. Live and learn!

My new harness has been installed just over one week now. I should have pushed Yami to replace the front subframe harness as well so all the spiders could be new. Live and learn!
Too late for your replacement I suppose, but my spider that bit me was in that front subframe harness (the one over the left headlight).

Q. How do I know (for certain) if I have a ground spider failure?
A. You don't, but here's some definite symptoms associated with failure of Ground Spider-S4, that 's located in the left side of the engine compartment, tucked behind the coolant rail...

* Bike will not start. Starter does not turn over, click or otherwise show any sign of life.

* When the ignition is initially switched ON; the tach and speedo hands sweep and return to zero as normal.

* With the ignition in the ON position; glovebox will not open, no power to the horn, windshield motor does not move, the turn signal indicators are lit solid, the fuel gauge blinks then pauses, Hi-beam indicator is ON solid.

I have an 06'. Just went out to go for a ride and EVERYTHING mentioned above is happening to my bike. I have this sinking feeling that this is not good!