H4 Main Beam LED replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fljab

Reaction score
I did search several different ways, didn't find it. If you do it proves (again) I'm a techno ijit.....

Has anyone replaced their main H4 bulbs with LED?

Examples here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=H4%20LED&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283

Just curious; since my GBU and running the HID's to the point where I could smell my alternator, I've been on a binge to come up with cost effective and power saving lighting mods. I changed out the big HID's I had for a set like Ignacio aka Matt had on his bike with great results. My Hella FF50's are still mounted but I just ordered a set of LED H7's for them to try it out. No biggy on those if they don't work as well, but there are LED's for any bulb replacement you might want/need, so that got me curious about the main beams.

Thanks in advance!

I'm in a continuing quest for better farkles and solutions for LD riding. I mount something, do a minimum 3K ride, then re-evaluate and revamp; my mind is always churning out ideas - good and bad!

The evolution of LED lighting has been enormous in recent years, But i don't think they have made them bright enough without adding several of them, Or a unique reflector.

Count me in for a set when they can match the lumen output of a Halogen and the typical power savings associated the LED's, Size proportionate obviously... ;)

Interesting article HERE.

Maybe the time has finally come??? :unsure:
If I read that article right, it says they put out between halogen and xenon, so maybe they'd be OK.

I'll test the H7 LED replacements in my aux Hella FF50's (halogen now) and compare - maybe even install 1 side only so I can see side by side, then get back for a report on this thread.

If it works out, I may just be the first to try them - I have aux lights to fall back on. I'm interested in the low power consumption which, even tho I have a Gen 2, still is at a premium when you're running everything including heated gear on a dark cold night.

Regardless of the output lumens the LED 'bulbs' produce there is still a bigger problem. The FJR uses a reflector bucket for the headlights which requires the filaments to be in a very exact location for the light to be projected in a very specific high beam/low beam pattern which the LEDs can't do. Our FJR uses a HB2/9003 style bulb which has a very precise filament location that the reflector bucket is designed to accommodate.

LEDs have progressed to a point that they can be used for headlights and some auto manufactures currently offer cars with LED headlights. But, for these to work the headlight bucket and front lens has to be specially designed for LEDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of the output lumens the LED 'bulbs' produce there is still a bigger problem. The FJR uses a reflector bucket for the headlights which requires the filaments to be in a very exact location for the light to be projected in a very specific high beam/low beam pattern which the LEDs can't do. <snip>
True, and I had HID's in there and was not satisfied with them but I know of others that have them and are; I'm thinking it's still worth a try - even if I just spring for one side and load them in the left side (the easy one) and compare; They're cheap enough.

I'm wondering - my aux FF50's have H7 bulbs - is there an aux light bucket/housing that would take H4's? Need to do some searching...

Regardless of the output lumens the LED 'bulbs' produce there is still a bigger problem. The FJR uses a reflector bucket for the headlights which requires the filaments to be in a very exact location for the light to be projected in a very specific high beam/low beam pattern which the LEDs can't do. Our FJR uses a HB2/9003 style bulb which has a very precise filament location that the reflector bucket is designed to accommodate.

LEDs have progressed to a point that they can be used for headlights and some auto manufactures currently offer cars with LED headlights. But, for these to work the headlight bucket and front lens has to be specially designed for LEDs.
+1

True words from the Fart Smeller.

All of those cheapo new LED bulbs are for show car only - most should state this. It's because they look pretty but almost no light will come out of your headlight.

All of those cheapo new LED bulbs are for show car only - most should state this. It's because they look pretty but almost no light will come out of your headlight.
That may be true, but LED technology is coming on strong. I have a set of aux LED's (from Alex on the forum) and I'm pretty happy with them. Lotsa bright white light with minimal power consumption. I'm going to get another set of them here sometime - prolly this winter (or what passes for it here in sunny Florida).

I understand the reflector argument and not debating it, but I'm still going to put the H7 replacements in my Hella FF50's and report back. I like the Hellas but they do suck some power, you can watch the voltmeter go down 1/2 volt or better when they are flipped on. No biggy if that's all, but when you're running all your heated gear then it adds up.

Let us know how they work. I know LED's are capable but in the newer luxury cars like A8's / Caddilac Escalades they use jumbo 15+ watt LED's which is insane for an LED, not a cluster of 12 .5 watters.

...luxury cars like A8's / Caddilac Escalades they use jumbo 15+ watt LED's...
LEDs don't scale up real well, the higher the lumen output the more power they use and more significantly, they produce a lot more heat. Your standard indicator LED on home electronics is a wee sipper of current and the voltage drop creates manageable heat so it lives more than 865,000 hours (99 years). The headlight grade LEDs are looking at a life more in the 40k-50k hour range due to the extra heat. That is still not too shabby.

Normal lamps produce light by heating a wire until it glows; the hotter the wire the brighter the light. This produces lots and lots of waste heat and consumes lots of wasted energy. LEDs produce light by causing electrons in materials like Indium, gallium and germanium to jump orbiting shells around atoms and that energy jump produces photons that we see as light.

I'm heading next week to the NC/TN mountains for a Mon-Wed trip to meet a friend. Hopefully my H7's will get here in time so I can test them out!