New Philips H4 LED

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInPA

Reaction score
NOTE: Edited to revise lumen output:

Philips has produced a very high quality H4 LED bulb (model #12953BWX2) that should reproduce the beam pattern of a halogen bulb, but with 2400 1000 lumen low and 3200 1500 lumen high beam intensity. Only one U.S. distributor so far and at $269/pair these are similar in cost to Philips HID bulbs and ballasts, but without the warmup, and maybe some better projection. Review at HID Depot shows the beam pattern when installed in a Tacoma truck.

• Lumens [lm]: 1000Lm Low beam and 1500Lm: High beam
  • Instant On/Off - no delays
  • White 6200K colour temperature is perfect for color matching with HID and LED fog lights
  • Up to +150% more light on the road than halogen bulbs
  • Provides maximum light efficiency without glare to other road users unlike lower cost alternatives
  • Patented AirFlux base design allows maximum cooling of the LED, to maintain highest light performance and long lifetime - NO FAN THAT CAN FAIL
  • Voltage: 12 V / Wattage: 23+/-15% W
  • Direct replacement for your H4 halogen bulbs
  • Heatsink dimensions: 52mm × 45mm × 13mm
  • Driver dimensions: 64mm × 64mm × 14mm
  • 3 year warranty
  • Sold in pairs
Philips%20LED.jpg

Comparison to H4 Halogen:

Ultinon_H4_Compara%C3%A7%C3%A3o.jpg

This is my next light if the price is ever reduced a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the design is good (i.e. good beam pattern and projection), I suspect that decent quality knock-offs will be on the market within a half a year. I too will wait for some unbiased reviews and for the price to moderate a bit. If they are really good, I would be OK with maybe half that price. I don't mind paying a premium price for a superior product but they would have to be unbelievably good to warrant spending that much.

I think what differentiates these are the very tiny, high-output LEDs placed in exactly the same location as a halogen filament. Note they are emitted on both sides of the bulb. Considering the light output on high beam is similar to my Clearwater Krista lights in a very compact format, it might actually not take a huge reduction for me to pull the trigger.

The H4 model at $149/pr looks promising. It doesn't have the same refinement as the Philips product, but I see the low beam reflectors and a decent approximation of light being where it belongs. Any reviews on these? Note these use a fan, while the Philips heat sink is passive.

Edit: I read specs and the D2D is fanless and uses passive heat sink as well.

Here is the big difference I see between LEDs like these and other light sources: On the LEDs, being surface mount devices, they emit light in one primary direction.

Those Philips units are the best that I've seen to date in attempts to reproduce the halogen (or HID) light output direction, but...

there are no emitters facing up or down. And the reflectors for halogen H4 bulbs are designed to use light being broadcast in an even, 360 radial pattern (on high beam) or full 180 degree pattern (on low beam) and these LED "bulbs" will NOT do that.

Still, I am much encouraged by the progress and await a viable, appropriately priced LED replacement solution, anxiously.

Question for those in the know. On our FJRs, the rubber boot fits over the end of the H4 bulb and the connector is plugged in.

Does the LED heat sink come off for installation and then plugged in for use? Can the rubber boot be used w/o chopping it up?

Time to read more about the Philips LEDs...

TIA

--G

Does the LED heat sink come off for installation and then plugged in for use? Can the rubber boot be used w/o chopping it up?
Looking at the very first image...very doubtful. It appears to be an extreme interference fit.

Here is the big difference I see between LEDs like these and other light sources: On the LEDs, being surface mount devices, they emit light in one primary direction.
Those Philips units are the best that I've seen to date in attempts to reproduce the halogen (or HID) light output direction, but...

there are no emitters facing up or down. And the reflectors for halogen H4 bulbs are designed to use light being broadcast in an even, 360 radial pattern (on high beam) or full 180 degree pattern (on low beam) and these LED "bulbs" will NOT do that.

Still, I am much encouraged by the progress and await a viable, appropriately priced LED replacement solution, anxiously.
Same here. Beam pattern is vital to great illumination. Can't wait to see how well these actually work. I even tried LED's (H11 single filament) in my Honda Pilot projector beams thinking: "single filament, projector type light, it's gotta work right?". Wrong. Bad beam pattern, scattered light, no good. Of course it was whiter and brighter looking at them head on but they were poor at illuminating the road. Put the standard hologens back in.

I WILL switch to LED WHEN they make an H4 that works perfect. Will it be these?

Looking at the very first image...very doubtful. It appears to be an extreme interference fit.
Thanks Matt, kinda what I thought too.
--G
Scroll down the linked-to page about two-thirds of the way down, there are detailed pictures of the bulb and its installation. The heatsink bit unscrews from the bulb, so the rubber boot can be slid over the wire up to the bulb.

We've got a lot of early adopters here on the forum--you know, guys that buy every new model (or generation) that Yamaha or BMW can dream up. You know who you are. We all know who you are. Buy a set of these and give us a review.

Seriously, look at how the pricing has gone on every advance in all kinds of lighting over the last few years, whether it's those crap CFL house bulbs they crammed down our throats, or now LEDs at home, bikes, flashlights, you name it. They get better, and they get cheaper. Fast. Unless one of your headlights already just blew out, your chances of doing better than this when you need it are excellent.

edit: after a more thorough reading of the link in the post above, I'm thinking, control module? And where is that going to fit in the FJR nose?

There is a lengthy thread on another forum on how to add shields to the LED H4's to prevent the light from hitting the wrong parts of the reflector, etc. I just installed a set of Cyclops in a friends FJR, and it wasn't the easiest... I'm not volunteering to add shields and fine tune. I see these new Phillips have the shields designed in, so that's the ticket, finally. Plug and Play. Now if they didn't cost so much........

Same here. Beam pattern is vital to great illumination. Can't wait to see how well these actually work. I even tried LED's (H11 single filament) in my Honda Pilot projector beams thinking: "single filament, projector type light, it's gotta work right?". Wrong. Bad beam pattern, scattered light, no good. Of course it was whiter and brighter looking at them head on but they were poor at illuminating the road. Put the standard hologens back in.

I WILL switch to LED WHEN they make an H4 that works perfect. Will it be these?
I agree with the concerns about the aftermarket LED sources not working properly with the headlamp optics,

There are a great number of LED and HID retrofits out there that just end up splattering light all over the place and into the eyes of on coming drivers.

The LED shown in the OP is one of the best designs I have seen so far. Will be interested if someone does a comprehensive test.

A guy on the Guzzitech page did a test and posted reults of the problems.

Scroll down this link...

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/h4-led-headlights.15450/

The current promotion at XenonDepot is 20% off using the coupon code XMAS20. That makes these $215.00 shipped free.

This is really got me itching considering the quality.

Thanks Matt, kinda what I thought too.
--G
Scroll down the linked-to page about two-thirds of the way down, there are detailed pictures of the bulb and its installation. The heatsink bit unscrews from the bulb, so the rubber boot can be slid over the wire up to the bulb.
Ahh...a threaded affair that's different than other LED conversions I've seen. So, I agree this particular LED would work with existing FJR boot seals. Thanks for the note!

But you have to ask yourself. how much "better" is a $215 pair of LEDs going to be over $20 H4 halogens? 10 times? Probably not.

Yes, they take less power but power isn't a problem on these bikes and they do put out more light but how bad are the stock H4s?

Sounds like a soulution looking for a problem.

Headlights using LED light sources need to be designed with that in mind . Good aftermarket solutions seem very expensive and work only somewhat the same.

However, I will watch for a real world test. I may be surprised.

Still....$215 USD !?!?

But you have to ask yourself. how much "better" is a $215 pair of LEDs going to be over $20 H4 halogens? 10 times? Probably not.Yes, they take less power but power isn't a problem on these bikes and they do put out more light but how bad are the stock H4s?

Sounds like a soulution looking for a problem.

Headlights using LED light sources need to be designed with that in mind . Good aftermarket solutions seem very expensive and work only somewhat the same.

However, I will watch for a real world test. I may be surprised.

Still....$215 USD !?!?
Actually on a Gen I, power is an issue, especially since I use heated gear and auxiliary lights.

In my experience the whiter and brighter headlights make a huge difference in both safety (being seen) and night driving (seeing is believing). I base this on having used HID for the last 4 years.

Philips is not your average Chinese aftermarket light. They make OEM lighting solutions, and you can bet that their name would not appear on a device that couldn't properly use the OEM reflectors. The quality is night and day compared to other after-market solutions. I couldn't spring for the Philips HID bulb because it was even more expensive, but I have seen them when @Puppychow installed them on his FJR. The color rendering and beam pattern was greatly superior to my aftermarket HID, but they did not have a hi/lo beam function. These LEDs do.