New Philips H4 LED

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a set of the LED's in my 2010 FJR and I am very happy with the light pattern, it covers farther out . I have had them in for about 5-6 months I did not reuse the rubber boots and so far it has not made any differance. My concern was would the fans get wet in the rain and short out but that has not happened I do see a bit of light inside the farring . so far I would say worth the money, of course I was thrilled with te stock lights compared to my GTS !!!
You have the Philips LEDs?

Pictures please.

For the first time, a manufacturer is paying attention to how a real H4 casts light. The linked article shows that these LEDs won't shine down when set to Lo - the first ever I've seen.

At that price, I'll wait. Maybe I'll upgrade after my current H4s die....

Last edited by a moderator:
Look closely at the beam cast photos in the linked article. It is pretty obvious that the LED lights are much less uniform than the Halogen lights are. I would say that this is due to the fact that the LEDS only broadcast light to the left and right, not in a 360 degree radial pattern like a filament does, and that is what the reflector was designed for.

LEDs would seem to be better used in a refractive light housing (projector type lights), where the directional light is a bonus, vs. in a reflective housing designed for a filament (halogen) or arc (HID) light source, where the directionality is a problem to be dealt with. I bet most new automotive applications are doing just that.

Look closely at the beam cast photos in the linked article. It is pretty obvious that the LED lights are much less uniform than the Halogen lights are. I would say that this is due to the fact that the LEDS only broadcast light to the left and right, not in a 360 degree radial pattern like a filament does, and that is what the reflector was designed for.
LEDs would seem to be better used in a refractive light housing (projector type lights), where the directional light is a bonus, vs. in a reflective housing designed for a filament (halogen) or arc (HID) light source, where the directionality is a problem to be dealt with. I bet most new automotive applications are doing just that.
This is the point I have been trying to make on a number of forums.

The LED and HID replacements for a regular halogen H4 just don't do the job the same. The optics are not designed for that light source!

Yep, plenty of light but in all the actual documented tests I have seen, light pattern control is an issue.

Checked out a number of review on the Cyclops 3600 and 3800 LEDs. Light beam pattern issues and,

in one review, the person said the "whiter" light actually reduced contrast on certain objects.

In another case, the fact that the low beam stayed on when the high beam was activated, created so much bright light in front of the bike that it affected how the high beam was perceived in the distance.

The reviews for off road use were great but that's not our application.

Still waiting for an LED system that does what a standard H4 does but brighter. Not seen one yet.

I really like the Cyclops bulbs on the KTM 1190. Much easier to see far down the road and safer for me. I appreciate the extra light when riding at night mainly because I want to see deer as far out as possible, and for off-road. The beam pattern issues are real. More light reflects up onto the bottom of the windscreen but I fixed that. I will probably add one on the 500 EXC but I think I will wait for something better on the feejer. Thanks for all the good info guys.

flashlights.png