Hard to turn FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1300AE

Reaction score
Hello great people,

My 08 FJRAE feels quite heavy to turn (Since day one). It might be that I am use to sportbikes plus that I don't know yet the best tire pressure for this bike.

I'm 253Lb without gear. Any recommendation to make the FJR easier to turn, specially at low speeds? Any positive feedback is appreciated.

Thanks again in advance,

Best regards,

Newt.

Last edited by a moderator:
What pressures are you currently running? How many miles on the tires? Have you tried jacking the front end up and swinging it through a full range of movement to make sure it's not binding? Rear preload set on heavy? How many miles on the bike? What is the service history?

At your weight, I would guess that 40/43lbs would be a good place to start. The rest will be a function of the answers to the questions. Post up and there are lots of people who will try to help.

The comments about tire wear are appropriate - as the tread wears, the bike becomes a bit more lumbering - but the extent of that depends on how you ride, what you ride on and the most important factor; Tire pressure.

You're lighter than I and I run factory air pressure - 42/39 - and that woprks for me. Get a good electronic pressure gauge (for repeatability), check it for accuracy and make sure you set the pressure regularly with cold tires.

if you've for 5,000 miles on your rubber it may just be wear & tear.

The FJR handles very well, but this is no 350 pound sport bike you're riding.

If your bike still has the OEM tires, a new set of quality tires will make a big difference in handling and the effort needed to counter steer your bike. The bike is top heavy and slow speed turns will be tricky. Lot of threads about tires in the "Never-ending Pointless Recurring Threads" forum. I have Michelin Pilot Roads 2 tires and have been happy with them.

The weight disappears as the speed goes up, but yeah, slow speed parking lot stuff, like getting it turned around, is a bit scary.

It's just like the smaller bike they put you through the basic rider course, though, look all the way through, lean the bike and sit up ("push the bike down") and use clutch for speed control.

Oh, wait. AE.

Well, see, now you're gonna have to learn where the clutch engages, what RPM, and how to drag the rear brake. Nothing like practice, and don't stop with the bike leaned. You can't hold it up!

I say get rid of teh piece of shit. This is just another unsatisfied rider. Should have bought a BMW, that way you could complain to them and their forum. I stay away from this forum mostly because there are so many whiners. Should have bought a Harley or Suzuki. The FJR is a world class sport touring, and if your a wimp get rid of it, go get the rebel you should have bought.

I say get rid of teh piece of shit. This is just another unsatisfied rider. Should have bought a BMW, that way you could complain to them and their forum. I stay away from this forum mostly because there are so many whiners. Should have bought a Harley or Suzuki. The FJR is a world class sport touring, and if your a wimp get rid of it, go get the rebel you should have bought.
Time for the teacher to step in. Your spelling is pathetic, your language is not school appropriate, and you need an attitude adjustment. Please head for the principal's office immediately. The man asked a sincere question that deserves some honest input from the forum. You said that you stay away from this forum because... please continue to practice what you preach. We wouldn't want to rub anyone the wrong way.

As for the steering issue, this may be a surprise, but when I put my Exalto CT on the back of my bike, one nice side effect was the way it counteracts the bike's tendency to turn in when I initiate a slow speed turn. Take the forum's advice and read up on the many tire threads. And let us know how any changes you make help out.

One possible solution: twist the throttle hard enough, and you won't be going slow enough... long enough... to have ANY steering issues. That heavy steering feeling goes away as soon as the front tire comes off the ground. HOHOHO

Ride safe

Gary

darksider #44

I bought my 09 used with only 4800 miles on the OEM tires. I too was disappointed with the heavy steering. Bought PR2's and it fixed the problem for me.

Good luck, Bill

I have a 2008 with Pilot Road 2's. Not quite like my VFR..... as it does require a bit more steering input. I find with some of the twistys, I will be a lit more deliberate with shifting my upper body more forward, outside leg against the tank, but keeping the arms relaxed while applying the necessary counter steering.

Heavier, but still very fun to play on. I expected as much.

Dude!! PWI on Mother's Day? :nono:

I first adjusted the suspension because I too thought the bike had a tendency to be sluggish in the corners and then kind of dive, or turn in, on slow speed turns. This helped a lot, ( see suspension threads) and then I got a set of PR2 tires which also helped.

There are so many things that could help the situation, you will just need a systematic approach. Rest assured, it will perform well once you find the cause/culprit.

• Tire pressure would be first
  • Suspension settings, start with sag
  • Raising the rear via the shock can help turn in
  • Raising the forks in the triple clamp a bit could help
  • Tires can certainly make a big difference

Tires: Front 39 and the rear 42

For suspension, just go out and check what the current settings are and write them down. Your owner's manual is your friend. Compare with what people have posted and then start making small changes while keeping track.

Thank you everyone for your feedback except for Ordrock.

Ordrock negative attitude was uncalled for in my opinion :bad: . I'm pretty new at this therefore not nearly as knowledgeable as many here in the forum. I was running 36/40Lbs. I started to play with the tire pressure as advised. Voilà!!! It got so much better at 42/40. What a radical change! I also practice the clutch engagement (My bike is an AE) by playing with the rear brake and throttle as advised. I purchased this bike around one year ago with zero miles on my local Yamaha dealership. I got pretty sick as a result I only ridden the bike for 1500 miles since the day of purchase. I'm truly excited about this bike. Yamaha's attention to detail is just incredible. The fit and finish is truly unbelievable.

Thanks again for your guidance :drinks: ,

Best regards,

Newt.

Congrats on the Bike! Pay Close attention to the tire pressures almost weekly. Even though these tires look up to pressure...they may not be.

When my steering felt like a truck awhile back, thought I had a low front tire... wrong, the Rear tire was down about 10 lbs but did not show it. So a low Pressured Rear Tire makes the Front feel heavy.

Good Luck and Many Happy Miles & Smiles to Ya!

You may also check that your rear brake is not draging, put it on the center stand and rotate wheel and check that the foot lever returns

My '05 came with Metzler Z4 tires, which had a pretty broad/flat profile.

After switching to Avon Storms, the bike practically fell into the corners. I had to be careful 'till I got used to it!

Thank you everyone for your feedback except for Ordrock.

Ordrock negative attitude was uncalled for in my opinion :bad: . I'm pretty new at this therefore not nearly as knowledgeable as many here in the forum. I was running 36/40Lbs. I started to play with the tire pressure as advised. Voilà!!! It got so much better at 42/40. What a radical change! I also practice the clutch engagement (My bike is an AE) by playing with the rear brake and throttle as advised. I purchased this bike around one year ago with zero miles on my local Yamaha dealership. I got pretty sick as a result I only ridden the bike for 1500 miles since the day of purchase. I'm truly excited about this bike. Yamaha's attention to detail is just incredible. The fit and finish is truly unbelievable.

Thanks again for your guidance :drinks: ,

Best regards,

Newt.

Good for you. Just for clarification, you say you are running 42/40, is the 42 front or back?

Dan

Latest posts