Harley Busted by EPA for Screaming Eagle Tuners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A simple donation to a particular Foundation or other like group and all of this could have been taken care of. The Motor Company needs to realize EVERYTHING is for sale now. Get with the program, lawlessness is the new normal.

HD even copied the name of the REAL men located at Fort Campbell
punk.gif

While there is no love lost for Harleys, I fear this meddling will eventually reach the point of mandatory smog testing for motorcycles, including our Japanese bikes, starting with the Republik..

While there is no love lost for Harleys, I fear this meddling will eventually reach the point of mandatory smog testing for motorcycles, including our Japanese bikes, starting with the Republik..
The EPA is throwing a temper tantrum because they couldn't get their blanket ban passed. So now they're targetting the same things that ban would have covered in a more direct way. Now that they've managed to set a precedent, I expect it wont be long before they collapse the after market vendors.

The AMA is the most effective tool we have to combat government overreach.
So it's government "over reach" when a vehicle is designed and built to certain standards and the manufacturer sells a product to bypass those standards?

Really?!?!?

This , and the statement about "eroding our right to ride" don't really apply.

I didn't hear any complaints about "government over reach" when VW got spanked.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Government is coming. Slowly eroding our right to ride.
When I see statements like this I have to reflect on who this entity called "government" is.
In my opinion, the government is the people by consent. If you don't like the way things are headed perhaps it would be advised to try and change the consensus?

OTOH, if the majority of people are sick and tired of a minority of assholes violating their expectations to peace and quiet, whose rights are being violated?

Power commander might be next, even though like Harley tuners their tuners are also for racing applications, and like Harley also advise users of the fact, and when tuning could violate EPA requirements. Also, after market exhaust companies are now on the EPA radar, as aftermarket exhausts are also for racing purposes.

It's a slippery slope, and we are on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people, like the author, are reading too much into this. No, the EPA doesn't like tuners but this isn't about the tuners themselves. If it were, they would have gone after the largest manufacturer of tuners. This is about HD deliberately violating its agreement to meet EPA standards to sell motorcycles in the US.

By manufacturing, distributing and selling a product that knowingly violates EPA standards, they are, by default, not selling motorcycles that meet those standards. Manufacturers of aftermarket devises are free to do so because didn't make or sell the vehicle and aren't bound to those agreements. It seems like a gray area but the original manufacturer of a product can't make another product that changes the original product in such a way as it violates its contracts. Put differently, you can make and sell a semi automatic rifle, but you can't also make and sell a kit that converts it into a full automatic. That would be the same as selling fully automatic rifles.

I'm by no means a regulatory fan since bureaucratic dictates violate the democratic process, but I completely agree with the EPA on this one. HD made an agreement and they need to abide by it. If they want to get into the tuner market, they need to get out of the motorcycle business. They can't have both.

Sorry, but really how much are these units actually affecting the air quality??? I mean this is the same EPA that poisoned a river in CO and nothing was done about it. WTH!!??

Power commander might be next, even though like Harley tuners their tuners are also for racing applications, and like Harley also advise users of the fact, and when tuning could violate EPA requirements. Also, after market exhaust companies are now also on the EPA radar, as very aftermarket exhausts are not for racing purposes.It's a slippery slope, and we are on it.
Dynojet, the maker of Power Commander at the time, paid a record $1-million in 2008 for similar offenses. Their tuners subsequently complied, at least at certain settings. The aftermarket tuners have never been "legal", but EPA seems to reach out to touch them fairly infrequently and unpredictably. Notably, they always go after the manufacturer, and leave the consumer alone.

I am thankful for the aftermarket because it allows my engine to be tuned for longevity whereas the results of EPA meddling have created maps that do just the opposite; creating a HP/Tq curve that looks like the teeth on a key instead smooth like a baby's butt.

Latest posts