Harley Busted by EPA for Screaming Eagle Tuners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The new engine retains the iconic 45-degree V-twin design, but ditches one cam for twice as many valves – each cylinder now has two intake valves and two exhaust valves – which is where the new moniker comes from."

Wow! At least we have The Motor Company blazing a trail on this new technology. It will be interesting to see if it really works and if there are any benefits.

"For the first time in a rubber-mounted Big Twin, a single counter-rotating internal balancer is used to cancel 75 percent of the engine’s primary shaking force. When an engine with complete vibration cancellation was tested, riders rejected it; some vibration is an essential element of Harley’s unique feel."

Internal balancer? Another leap in technology. Other companies should forgo rubber mounts and go with this new style of vibration management. Perhaps Harley-Davidson can license the technology to them.

"When an engine with complete vibration cancellation was tested, riders rejected it; some vibration is an essential element of Harley’s unique feel."
mda.gif

I'll have to search around and find some 1st and 2nd Gen Dyno runs to compare it to.

At your service.

dynochart.jpg

Post tune of my Gen 1 (#7xx). There's a slight dip (almost a flat spot at 2200-2600 but the overall curve is much smoother. Again the 5200 constant of the HP equation is seen.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/dyno/dyno.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, found yours on Google searching. I think the point found and reported about the dip being intake pressure related killed the searching of other dyno runs to prove or disprove any fueling relationship.

That was about the only detail that guy gave about any changes to this engine. The rest sounded a lot like marketing puffery. It was interesting and germane to this thread that they mentioned the new valve train and how it would interface with aftermarket cams. I think he made a mistake, or the writer did, as the parts needed would be adjustable rockers, not non-adjustable ones.
Agreed. That was a seriously hard article to pull the facts from the fluff. All in all, it sounds like a 30 year old Bandit 1200 motor with a hydrolic valve train and knock sensors. So im failing to see how they are five steps ahead of their competition with this one.

Since Harley sees itself as it's only viable competition, all they are really saying is that they took 5 steps ahead of themselves in the past.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
considering even the lowly HD will reach speeds above what is allowed on each and every North American roadway, WTF cares?

So will a CBR250. So, why bother buying anything faster (and more fuelish) than that?
unsure.png
You missed the point

what a surprise.............LOL

Latest posts