Have I Neglected the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyver60

Reaction score
I only began riding about six years ago. At the time, I could not afford a Harley, so I bought a Honda VTX and all of the black uniform stuff to be part of the "cruiser lifestyle." I followed the recipe almost to a "T" - washed the bike often, polished it more than rode it, and never rode if it looked like rain. Two years ago I had a vision and was instructed to buy a 08 FJR, sold the cruiser, and have never looked back. However, I am wondering if I have not been abusive to the FJR. I've washed it only once since I had it, put as many miles on it in two years as I did the VTX in four, and I am just as likely to take a spontaneous ride in grass covered jeans and work boots (tan not black). Rain? Who cares - it sort of washes the bike. I seem to feel more freedom and individuality now than when I looked like everyone else on a cruiser. I feel like I have drifted away from my roots.

I have a nice glass of Kool-Aide waiting for you...

Resistance is futile, you have been assimilated. :p

You've discovered that the FJR is not about how cool it makes you look because of all it's chrome, it's how much you just enjoy riding it. There are two distinctly different types of riders out there, those who ride because their bike makes them look cool (or so they think) and those who ride because... well because they love to ride. As many guys on the forum have said, something changed the first day that FJR spent the night in the garage. It's an addiction. I'll admit it, I'm hooked. Every day, I gotta have my FJR fix... Consider this: the biggest bummer about working on the FJR: I can't ride it. It's like I have an FJR OCD!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, you said that you've drifted away from your roots. You're not alone. 4 out of my first 5 bikes were 2 strokes. Never again. I never owned a bike with a fairing before. Now? Never again. Roots? They served their purpose. Time to move on and enjoy something new, something better.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
what's this word, "washed" you refer to????

bought the silver on purpose. goal was to ride. alot. and never worry about it.

turns out, i was right... it looks amazing all the time... and aside from running a microfiber over the tank/bags to keep the pollen from scratching it, it is truly high speed low drag...

i came from a long line of other bikes... and all seemed to require me to clean and polish and cover etc... granted, they were black (and one red)

and while beautiful to behold, they were a lot of work.

no more...

i've found what will likely be my last. this bike so rocks.........

welcome to the sickness.

I will have to say for some reason I'm adding miles to my FJR faster than any other bike I have ever owned. Either I just enjoy riding the bike or the odometer doesn't record milage correctly.

I will say that I have a love/hate relationship with my 2012's paint. I absolutely love love love the blue, but it requires a lot more attention. I had a silver truck years ago (pewter, they called it) and it looked great filthy or clean. I miss that.

A bucket of water and micro fiber cloth and you can keep you bike sparkling with little time or effort. The cloth works as a sponge and a chamois.

I only began riding about six years ago. At the time, I could not afford a Harley, so I bought a Honda VTX and all of the black uniform stuff to be part of the "cruiser lifestyle." I followed the recipe almost to a "T" - washed the bike often, polished it more than rode it, and never rode if it looked like rain. Two years ago I had a vision and was instructed to buy a 08 FJR, sold the cruiser, and have never looked back. However, I am wondering if I have not been abusive to the FJR. I've washed it only once since I had it, put as many miles on it in two years as I did the VTX in four, and I am just as likely to take a spontaneous ride in grass covered jeans and work boots (tan not black). Rain? Who cares - it sort of washes the bike. I seem to feel more freedom and individuality now than when I looked like everyone else on a cruiser. I feel like I have drifted away from my roots.
I traded my VTX three weeks ago for the FJR. I've taken some ribbing from my "cruiser" friends but I've never been happier. Every time I take the FJR out I feel an excitement I never did with any of my other bikes. I've been assimilated and I never intend to look back!

I have washed it tho. :rolleyes: <_< :unsure:

A bucket of water and micro fiber cloth and you can keep you bike sparkling with little time or effort. The cloth works as a sponge and a chamois.
I seem to have a common pattern.

- Put on riding boots thinking I'll give it a quick wash before I go.

- Get garage, roll out bike and decide that a wet microfiber cloth and a wipe down will do.

- After leaving the drive way never thinking of it again.

I never wipe down the paint or windshield with any kind of rag until after hosing down the bike to get rid of any grit. Otherwise you're simply sandpapering things.

Just to point out, one can ride AND keep the bike clean. I have an '06 (best color :) ) and I ride a decent amount given all the other constraints on my time (did a 1400 mile four day trip three weeks ago with a 500 mile single day trip two weeks before that) and yet I STILL keep the bike very, very clean. I recently did a full wash, polish, and wax on the bike...and then immediately went for a ride. I see cleaning the bike, keeping a clean bike, as part of my basic maintenance routine. NOT saying that it is what everyone else should do, but one can keep the bike clean and still ride the snot out of it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
As y'all can tell, I've owned my '06 for all of three days (yep, I'm a newbie but totally addicted) and already I'm starting the cycle of abuse with my poor Feejer. :yahoo:

....I hope he will forgive me... 780 miles in 48 hours will do this: :assassin:

310072_10150894452288493_513458492_9702707_1924163941_n.jpg

As y'all can tell, I've owned my '06 for all of three days (yep, I'm a newbie but totally addicted) and already I'm starting the cycle of abuse with my poor Feejer. :yahoo:

....I hope he will forgive me... 780 miles in 48 hours will do this: :assassin:

310072_10150894452288493_513458492_9702707_1924163941_n.jpg
Add me to the list of newly addicted :)

Fortunately I hit an hour of rain at the end of my 542 mile ride on Saturday. I got her home clean. :D

If you cover it with a layer of snow, you can't see the dirt.

(Click on image for larger view)

(Just parked up after an "interesting" day's ride.)

Plexus is da bomb for any plastic based product. I discovered this stuff when I use to play paintball, my faceshield used to get slimy buildup from paint that wouldn't go away. Plexus melts oil, bugs, and tar-deposits without damaging your shield. Pricey as all getout, but worth it or sure.