Have you or will you be in an accident?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many miles have you ridden and been in one or more an accident?

• Total voters
Can't help your poll, no accidents here, not on the street. 100K + on HD's (hey, I was just a kid),123K on a '92 ST1100 and 50K on the FJR, Crashed a few times flat tracking in Texas when I was younger, but that doesn't count does it?

Can't help your poll, no accidents here, not on the street. 100K + on HD's (hey, I was just a kid),123K on a '92 ST1100 and 50K on the FJR, Crashed a few times flat tracking in Texas when I was younger, but that doesn't count does it?
Doesn't count in racing. If you don't crash once in a while, you aren't pushing hard enough.
biggrin.png

Just over 100,000 miles, two accidents.

First one in 1978 with only about 10k to 20k miles experience. Delivery van turned left through me. Too busy reading his map to look up before turning. 1 week in the hospital.

Second one two years ago. Soccer mommy in an SUV turned left into me. She couldn't see around the other cars and decided if she floored it, she might be able to make it. Not. 1 afternoon in the hospital.

No accidents caused by me. Knock on wood.

Why is real life just different from the questions?

6 accidents while riding 314,000 miles. At 12, 72 and 96K accidents were minor with minor cost less than $200 for repairs, I almost feel guilty for mentioning them. The last 3 at 183, 280 and 295K required major bike repairs, all over $4,500, but only one required a hospital visit.

@ 12K Someone ran into me at a stop, went down. 2nd year of riding.

@ 72K Low side going around a 15mph corner. Lack of skill. 6th year of riding.

@ 96K Someone ran into me, stayed up. 7th year of riding.

@ 183K Someone ran into me, went down. 12th year of riding.

@ 280K Gravel, crashed in the middle of the road, went down. 17th yr of riding.

@ 295K Deer stryke in the middle of the road, stayed up. 17th yr of riding

@ 314K today no accident.

Been in one accident. A cager almost hit me while I was rolling up to a light on day. The guy basically abruptly changed lanes without signalling. I was a newer rider on a Ninja 600 and thought I was invincible. The guy was wrong but my actions didn't help either. Bottom line, I possibly could have avoided it but instead I freaked out and braked hard, then dumped it. I may have been going a little too fast to react quick enough also. I guess being inexperienced and 20 years old don't go well with bikes?? Shocker there... At that age, I can honestly say that it never occurred to me that someone just couldn't see me.

Nowadays, I've got better safety equipment and am always thinking worst case scenarios when I ride. I'm not saying I won't get into another wreck but I do a little better job of recognizing my limitations and the limitations of the road conditions. I've had 2 more bikes since then and now this awesome FJR. It doesn't hurt to have a little more maturity and a few more miles on a bike either..

I'm not proud of it, but I've fallen 3 times. 3 different bikes. All low side crashes, the most serious of which was at about 30 mph (I slid on the belt sander for a while). All 3 - STUPID RIDER ERROR!!! All 3 - ATGATT. All 3 - not so much as a pebble on my skin. I got up, walked to my bike, and rode home. After the 3rd crash, I thought for a while about quitting and even wrote about it on this forum. But it passed, I learned from my mistakes, and I'm glad to report that I continued on the bike.

My wife knows, in no uncertain terms, that I will be careful when I ride. But if I die while riding, I will have gone doing what gives me passion.

Last edited by a moderator:
All - Thanks for participating (keep going to). Great input and insight.

I always seem to learn, no matter how well I think I did something, there's always room for improvement. Like this poll.

I wanted to know how many miles you've ridden without an accident. If you rode 100K but got in an accident at 65K, then you've only really had 65K of safe miles until an accident. I didn't think many if any would go 100K without having one. Someone said they've done over 300K without an accident. Good job! :yahoo:

I'll try and do better on my next poll.

So this is like a public confessional? ;-) Okay, I'll play. But if your looking for any "second hand learning" value, my limited experience probably disappoints. I've only ridden maybe 130k bike miles over the course of my adult life.

During that time, I've had three moving accidents on motorcycles (one two-up), half-a-dozen "zero speed" drops, and various narrow escapes that could have turned out quite a bit differently, but by the grace of God did not. I think the moving accidents simply amounted to operating in relatively new areas of experience for me, as they all occurred in my first few years of riding as a young adult.

Accidents
My only on-road accident was while riding two-up on a new 1977 Suzuki T-550 as a new rider. I low sided in a left hand turn at a busy intersection over what was likely spilled oil or diesel. I selected a poor line and crossed over what should have been an obvious road hazard. Fortunately speeds were low and only my pride was injured. My brother was kind enough to break my fall by somehow sliding underneath me before I hit the ground, trashing his jacket in the process. Everyone should have a passenger that is that accommodating!

The second was on the same bike, but on a dirt road riding out to the ranch where my then girlfriend boarded her horse. Low sided on a patch of sugar sand. Again, first hand experience in gaging traction to surface conditions.

The third was a couple of years later, when I had maybe 15,000 road miles under my belt. My younger cousin asked if I rode, to which I replied, "Duh, sure!". But he meant in the dirt (where I had zero riding experience), and he wanted to show me his favorite hill! He effortlessly glided up a fairly steep hill, managing his momentum coming to rest just as he crest the top, and then turned around to coast back down. "Now you try!", he suggested. Instead of politely declining after witnessing his nimble feat, I let my pride stand in for me.

My approach speed was way too low, not enough momentum to reach the top, and it ended with me fishtailing, and falling with the bike, end over end, and coming down the hill like a slinky! Me: sore ribs. Bike: broken clutch linkage and a long walk home pushing the bike. I put this experience in the category of "any experience we learn from is good experience"... ;-)

Almost Accidents
These have been too many to remember, but they all shaped my riding character, and so perhaps have been the most valuable, as they too, often delved into areas new to me. Here are a couple that come to mind.

**Fatigue**
Long distance touring over short time periods, and during high stress periods of my life, introduced the fatigue factor as an important element. I went to join up with a group outside of Death Valley, leaving the Bay Area, trekking down I-5 and then over to Beatty, NV. A group of us did a high speed pursuit over to Las Vegas the next day, hit the town that evening, and I left them the next morning for the long ride back home.

That afternoon, riding north on I-5, I was playing what I thought was a conservative game of highway "road slalom" in the light traffic on that two lane roadway. The cars were driving 70 mph or better, the trucks 55 mph, and I was adjusting my speed to smoothly and easily pass through traffic gaps among them, passing both on the right and the left. (Yeah, I know; not at all "best practice"). But while in the right lane, quickly approaching the truck up ahead, I misjudged the rate of closure between the car adjacent to my left and the much slower truck. My thought process went from "well I better speed up a bit to make the closing gap between the car and the truck," to "gee, the car is going much faster than I thought," to "crap, I won't be able to stop in time before colliding into the back of the truck!"

At the last moment, I flicked the bike into a narrow gap that I wouldn't have been happy to negotiate at 10 mph, let along at the speed that I was then traveling. It was one very graphic error of judgement, seeing just how close I came to becoming a splat on someone's tailgate. And it was going to get even closer still, for a couple of miles down the road I noticed my right mirror was out of alignment, and I knew I'd adjusted it at the gas stop a half hour back. It had folded in a ways, and there were two new, small scratches near the tip of its plastic housing...

My take away? The tie between fatigue and judgement can be insidious, and so must constantly be weighed and considered.

**Traction and Altered States**
Another dramatic one was again the old traction versus surface conditions. I was touring in Canada a few years ago with two forum buddies, Mike and Rich. We'd left Vancouver and were riding over toward the Fraser Valley, cresting the coastal mountain passes in a misty rain. I was in the rear with Mike, then Rich, ahead of me. We'd just come down a grade on the wet roadway, met a sharp right turn at about 25 mph, and immediately came on an uncovered wooden bridge crossing a creek.

Rich had crossed the bridge several seconds ahead of us, but Mike and I weren't far onto the bridge before, to my utter amazement, his rear tire drifted maybe 40 or 50 degrees to the right of his track, and he was literally traveling across the bridge sideways, yet still remaining upright! Only to be even further amazed at the realization that my bike was doing the exact same thing!

This situation lasted for almost two second before Mike low sided. His bike went skidding across the remainder of the bridge into a ditch beyond, with Mike sliding on his back, and coming to a rest in the middle of the roadway. I was certain that I was only moments behind him, and I knew that should my bike go down, it would slide right over his prone body. I was hyper aware throughout all of this, and everything seemed to progress in slow motion. And to this day I still can't describe exactly how I missed going down. I made no conscious inputs to my bike that I could discern, but it felt like I "willed" my bike into the vacant opposite lane so as to pass to Mike's left. And over the course of what seemed like minutes, but was actually less than a couple of seconds, my bike gradually straightened itself out, meeting the asphalt on the far side of the bridge back in proper track.

When I realized I was going to miss Mike, time seemed to immediately snap back to full speed, and I pulled back into my lane, dismounting at the edge of the roadway with my emergency flashers lit. Opposing traffic of several cars had stopped, with one woman getting out of her SUV to lend a hand.

Mike, a veteran of earlier get offs and an avid ATGATT practitioner, was uninjured, and his bike survived in a rideable condition, with a bit of damage to plastic and accessories. And I gained, in such spectacular fashion, a new respect for wet wooden bridges.

All of us, if we have ridden for any little while, have our own stories to share, of experiences that might have value to another.

Meanwhile, perhaps I'll leave an offering in the collection box on the way out… ;-)

Over 100K street miles and one crash, in 2012 that totaled the bike and put me in the hospital.

Going to work at 3am and the freeway was closed for construction so I took the detour via unfamiliar roads. Looked over my shoulder to merge onto the new freeway. Woke up face down on the blacktop. The on-ramp went parallel to the lane for a long way, with an island between the two. The curb was not painted. There was no lighting. My little GS had sucky lights so I just flat out didn't see the curb and I merged sideways into it at about 60mph.

I learned a lot, about a lot of things from that momentary lapse. The new bike came with better stock lighting but also sports auxiliary lights.

And it's best that we don't talk about how many times we've fallen off dirt bikes
rolleyes.gif

Hey all, howya all been doing?

I'm turning 60 this year. I started riding at 16 and from when I was 19 to when I turned 28 I rode 24/7/365. No way to figure out how many miles I traveled but guess it was a lot. (At 28 I bought my first car)

Never had an accident on the street. (Racetrack don't count right?)

Or are we talking about crapping your pants?

...I had to lay down my bike.
Could you clarify? What does it mean to "lay it down"? Does that mean you braked or swerved or did neither, and then you crashed? Or did you somehow make the bike fall onto its side onto the ground and kind of ride it like a surfboard (which is the picture I get when I hear that phrase). "Laying it down" sounds like something you do on purpose, whereas "crash" is not done on purpose.

I always thought it was a Harley rider expression used by people who lacked braking or swerving skills. In other words, it was a euphemism for crashing. So I really am curious what it means when a "real" rider says it.

I just don't think I could "lay it down" on purpose if I tried. If I tried to flop it onto the ground, wouldn't it just turn right or left and go off the road? (When I used to pump gas at Corte Madera Chevron back in the day, the CHP moto-cops who would always come by, way before I ever rode, said as I recall that that was an old evasive-action maneuver: to lay it down and ride it down the freeway.)

Does this count for the poll? If so, that is my "first" crash (like Fang, after 35 years, is my first wife) in my 10 years of riding since I bought a 2003 Hundred-Anniversary Sporty, and about 150,000 total miles on the Sporty and two FJRs in that time.

https://youtu.be/jvmCUD7pXAc

What is a "crash?"

Dropping the bike at zero mph because you thought the kickstand was down? check.

Drop the bike because you were trying to ride it up onto the sidewalk under the overhang at a motel? yup.

Dropping it because you were trying to execute a U turn on a freaking steep-assed hill? Been there, done that, got the tee shirt scratches.

Bumping into the side bag of a guy ahead of you in a small group ride that decided he wanted to stop (with no traffic coming) while you were rolling through and looking for traffic to the side? uh huh.

Obliterating > $1500 in tupperware on the rump of a bonsai bambi who jumped out into the road from the darkened woods right in front of you? Oh yeah, that was a good time.

Nope. I've never had a crash.
rolleyes.gif

What is a "crash?"
Dropping the bike at zero mph because you thought the kickstand was down? check.

Drop the bike because you were trying to ride it up onto the sidewalk under the overhang at a motel? yup.

Dropping it because you were trying to execute a U turn on a freaking steep-assed hill? Been there, done that, got the tee shirt scratches.

Bumping into the side bag of a guy ahead of you in a small group ride that decided he wanted to stop (with no traffic coming) while you were rolling through and looking for traffic to the side? uh huh.

Obliterating > $1500 in tupperware on the rump of a bonsai bambi who jumped out into the road from the darkened woods right in front of you? Oh yeah, that was a good time.

Nope. I've never had a crash.
rolleyes.gif
In my opinion, I would call only the last two crashes. Though that overhang at the motel might count depending on whether or not you were drinking.
rolleyes.gif

You know me Geezer... It's hard to tell exactly when the drinking starts or stops.
tonguesmiley.gif

The only truly "stationary" event was the first one. Even the U-turn drop the bike was rolling, though, in all events excepting for the bambi bash, movement was very slowly (5 mph or less)

Was in two serious accidents before completing my first 25k. First time a car hit me from behind at a stop sign (5 days in Intensive care). Second time I over cooked a corner and went straight through down a ditch, through a fence and missed a farmers plough by inches (no serious injury just a fractured ankle and a few bruises).

Since then I have not had an accident at all (but a number of close calls).

Lots and lots of miles in almost 50 years of riding. No crashes at all. Till that last couple feet, anyhow.
rolleyes.gif
So yeh, one good one, totaled the FJR blowing a turn, and a couple of half-assed inattentive screwups that I rode away from.

But man, those "Almost Accidents." I remember them all SOOO vividly. Maybe more than the real getoffs. Like the red-light blowing jeep who almost ate me up at about 50 mph here in town. Or the really calm, relaxed buck that was enjoying the middle of the quiet road in Idaho, just past a nice sporty curve. Or the garbage truck that started to turn into me about a mile from here as I zipped through the yellow light. I can still see his big bumper dive about six inches as he slammed on the brakes and I passed it about half a foot from my adam's apple.