Head set bearing spanner tool

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2degreesout

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy one of these? I am having my forks worked over and since the bike is apart I purchased the "all balls" taper bearings and I'm going to try to torque them correctly instead of just winging it with a punch like I do on my dirt bikes.

37 ft lbs to set the bearings, back it off and final tighten to 13 ft lbs, right? Anyone want to chime in?

This gets me PO'ed. I bought one two years ago (hook spanner w/hole for torque wrench). I just now looked all over the Internet to find one for you to no avail. Then I went out to my cold assed garage (in just a t shirt) and can't find mine to lend you.

I'll check again tomorrow, as I need to move a mighty burgman 400 to get into the cabinet where I hope it's hiding.

It looks like the pic on the right:

https://www.keltektool.com/custom-circular-spanners.htm

And those torque figures are all wrong for tapered rollers.

I'd start at "0" and increase gradually till you feel resistance

while turning the forks from lock to lock.

There should be no binding, at all.

The one I used came from this guy I know he's based in the UK but he does beautiful work.

The socket type is just so much easier to use than the C spanner IMHO.

https://www.rscycles.com/product_p/90890-01403.htm

$55.72 plus shipping. And yes, I bought one, even at that price.
sadsmiley.gif

Available to anyone in the Indy area that wants to stop by and use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure to watch the "how to" video that's on this forum. It's critical that the torque wrench be 90 deg to the wrench's arm for the correct torque values.

I have the spanner version sitting in my tool box (never used). If boyitgobob does not find his I would lend you mine. Of course there would be the cost of shipping (about $12 each way) from Orlando.

Let me know if you are interested.

I recommend buying this...https://www.ebay.com/itm/161403751487?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The seller, Dan, started making these because he likes to work on his own bikes. He was nice enough to make extras for others. Plus, much better for properly torquing the lower castle nut than the Yamaha suggested spanner wrench.
I bought one of these and it works great. You will also need a 36mm six point socket to get the cap off. Mine was on quite tight due to the Yamabond installed at the factory.

The steering head wrench for the castle nut is not too hard to find. I got one in 2015 for $28.95 and free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Yamaha+Steering+Head+Ring+Nut+Wrench&_id=221788606821&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658

This is the one I bought in 2015 from Countryboy7235. Works great on mine, and I also loaned it out once.

At those torque values my bearings were too loose. Try 50 to tighten then loosen and re-do to 25. IMHO you'll like it better. Be prepared in a few months to torque again, it's like the bearing races "settle" just a tad with use.

I have the socket style I bought from the guy in the UK that you can borrow if you promise to send it back. It really is a beautiful piece of work.

I've also made my own with a 1 1/4" socket, a grinder and a Dremel tool, but that takes a bunch of patience.

img2866la.jpg

At those torque values my bearings were too loose. Try 50 to tighten then loosen and re-do to 25. IMHO you'll like it better. Be prepared in a few months to torque again, it's like the bearing races "settle" just a tad with use.
I agree with this post, Festar and I did mine, I thought things were a little loose, I had FJRay check it and he found them to be loose. I don't know if it was just that I F()#$%@ it up or what, but I'd certainly go a little tighter on the initial preload then set it where it feels right.

This gets me PO'ed. I bought one two years ago (hook spanner w/hole for torque wrench). I just now looked all over the Internet to find one for you to no avail. Then I went out to my cold assed garage (in just a t shirt) and can't find mine to lend you. I'll check again tomorrow, as I need to ......]
Well, seeing how well my internet search turned out, I want some of you guys to come over and search my tool cabinets. That wrench was sitting in my magnetic bolt/nut bowl waiting for some day when I had the gumption to tackle that service. Always made me feel guilty for a deferred maintenance. I vaguely remember taking it out to use the bowl, but danged if I can find that sucker.

I recommend buying this...https://www.ebay.com/itm/161403751487?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
The seller, Dan, started making these because he likes to work on his own bikes. He was nice enough to make extras for others. Plus, much better for properly torquing the lower castle nut than the Yamaha suggested spanner wrench.
Thanks guys. There goes another $35.00 on something I didn't know I needed.
rolleyes.gif
Actually my last three FJRs needed to be adjusted but the 2014 hasn't appeared to be loose yet.