Heli Bars Bridge/Risers or MCL Riser Plate?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHS1981

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which riser plate/bridge to get for my 2014 FJR A model. I would welcome advice from those of you who have used the Heli Bars or the MCL product. Heli Bars are a bit cheaper. Also, anyone know if you have to drill out tamper-proof screws on the ignition switch with the Heli Bars (MCL website indicates that you do for its product)?

You do have to drill the screws out with the Heli Bars as well.
Helibars now is selling a bridge that mounts on top of the oem clamp. No drilling required of the tamper proof fasteners.

The Helibar triple clamp is not in production last I looked. Think they did this to push the bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all -- I'll look into the MV product as well. I'd appreciate any additional feedback on these options.

There is a pretty decent thread here on the Heli-Bar bridge (with pics!) as well as a couple threads on the MV Motoradd riser. Do a little (Google) search and you will get all the feedback and opinions you could wish for.

Last edited by a moderator:
After a fair amount of searching I went with the "other" option mentioned above -- MV Motorrad riser plate. Once you digest the poorly translated instructions (original instructions are in German, and MV provides an English translation) and get into it, the install is not very hard. It looks good on the bike, and I really like the improved ergonomics. Thanks all for your comments.

I bought from Creative Cycle Concepts, but it is cheaper on the manufacturer's (MV Motorrad) German website. Based on last week's exchange rate, the price from the German website was $237. I'm 5'10" w/ a 32" inseam. I have the bars in the position closest to the rider, and that seems to work well for me.

I put on the risers sold by Twisted Throttle and it helped minimally on my '06. Then I saw an '05 with a Heli setup and the fact that the grips are moved back made me wish I had done that instead. I am 5'7" with a belly and find my Feejer a torture on long rides. Well it took Mama Yama years to get the windshield, heated grips, fueling, and cruise control so maybe some day they will offer a grip for upright seating and off your wrists.

I videoed my MCL riser block install. Note use of the drill fixture that MCL will lend you to make drilling the ignition bolts straight forward.

Jim... I've seen your vid previously... A few questions??? Although difficult.... Is the install of this riser easier and more straight forward than it seems? Also, with the invent of the riser bridges - do you think you'd still use the one you installed, or on reflection - would you have chosen one of the bridges?

I installed Helibar's triple clamp on my '06. (had to drill out security bolts) I installed Helibar's touring bridge on my '13... Much simpler! Although an extension on the brake line is required, it was easy to install and seems to work well. I thought I might install a stainless steel brake line, but find it isn't necessary for my use.

Jim... I've seen your vid previously... A few questions??? Although difficult.... Is the install of this riser easier and more straight forward than it seems? Also, with the invent of the riser bridges - do you think you'd still use the one you installed, or on reflection - would you have chosen one of the bridges?
After almost 18000 miles with the MCL riser I would do it again in a heartbeat. I was scared of drilling out the bolts, but my friend was a talented mechanic and did it for me. Having seen it done, I'd do another install with no worries.

The drilling is the only hard part, and in retrospect it's not that hard. The rest of the work is just taking apart and putting together.

Except for oil changes, pretty much every maintenance task on the FJR requires lots of disassembly to get at the thing you want. Heck, even changing the dang light bulbs is a major PIA!