Helmet Locks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent

Who said FJR's don't do dirt?
Reaction score
I've noticed that there's been alot of people mounting helmet locks on there FJRs lately. Some look good, some don't. I mounted a set of helmet locks on mine a few weeks ago and thought I'd finaly share the way I did it. I started off with a Helmet Guardian lock set just for the locks. The keys happen to be the same as the FJR keys

101_0124.JPG

I could never understand why anyone would want to mount them behind the licence plate as there designed to be. When there mounted like that the helmet rests on the hot exhaust. Yes, you can put a golve between the helmet and the exhaust, but there's an easier way. I pulled the locks off and re-keyed them to my ignition key. It's not that hard to do. Then I located, drilled and tapped 2 1/4-20 holes in my OHFJR rack. I used some of the existing holes in the rack for the pins in the locksets. I installed the locks with supplied screws, and tada done.

DSC_2385.jpg

DSC_2386.jpg

DSC_2388.jpg

They work really well in my opinion. And being keyed to the bike is a really nice feature as well.

Happy Farkling! :drinks:

Outstanding job !!!!!!!!

Sure beats my cheap bicycle cable lock system.

But you can't lock a jacket up w/ that. :rolleyes:

Tim

Has anyone done a nice installation of these helmet locks under the YAMAHA top box adaptor? I'm looking into installing two on my 06 but want it clean.

Not hard to re-key? You must have the new generation as I have two helmet guardians and neither will re-key to my ignition. But I like your idea.

Okay Thanks. I can see there could be complications with rekey but...Has anyone done a nice installation of these helmet locks under or near the YAMAHA top box adaptor? I'm looking into installing two on my 06 but want it clean.

Here is how I did my helmet locks. I made a special L-brackets so the locks are vertical.

HelmetLocksonTopboxRack.jpg

Why add the helmet locks, when the helmet D-ring fits nicely around the steel seat alignment tab that is part of the gas tank?

Slide your forward seat back and look at the lower rear corner of your tank. Slip on the D-ring and hold the helmet up slightly while sliding the seat back in place.

Neither will stop somebody who wants your costom-painted Arai with a razor from slicing the strap. They just have to repair the cut strap with a new D-ring. I lost a nice helmet that way.

Bob

Why add the helmet locks, when the helmet D-ring fits nicely around the steel seat alignment tab that is part of the gas tank?Slide your forward seat back and look at the lower rear corner of your tank. Slip on the D-ring and hold the helmet up slightly while sliding the seat back in place.

Neither will stop somebody who wants your costom-painted Arai with a razor from slicing the strap. They just have to repair the cut strap with a new D-ring. I lost a nice helmet that way.

Bob
Taking the stock seat off is easy enough, but the one piece corbins are a PITA.

Thinking about this a bit, what happens when you lock your helmet on any of these helmet locks and while you are away it begins to sprinkle. I would think it would be better to devise some kind of a locking system that allows the helmet to be upright, like sitting on top of the seat, but locked so miscreants cannot make off with your skid lid.

Thinking about this a bit, what happens when you lock your helmet on any of these helmet locks and while you are away it begins to sprinkle. I would think it would be better to devise some kind of a locking system that allows the helmet to be upright, like sitting on top of the seat, but locked so miscreants cannot make off with your skid lid.

Yeah. I just do this:

https://tinyurl.com/2cxmhg

KM

Yeah. I just do this:

KM

Me too, 'cept when them bags are full...

Yeah. I just do this:

KM

Me too, 'cept when them bags are full...
GUNNY

Thinking about this a bit, what happens when you lock your helmet on any of these helmet locks and while you are away it begins to sprinkle.
DSC_2388.jpg

If you look, you'll notice the helmet is actually fairly protected from the rain by the back box. If it's going to be dumping rain, then either into a saddle bag, or I take it with.

I did the exact same install as the OP did above, but mounted mine to the bottom of the SHAD topcase mounting bracket. Very sweet.

I have to look into re-keying.

-BD

But has anyone done a nice installation of these helmet locks under the YAMAHA top box adaptor? I'm looking into installing two on my 06 but want it clean. Suppose I'd have to add a peice of 1/8" metal under the box adaptor? Or just attach under the front seat (thanks for that tip I'll give it a try). Really would be nice to have 2 helmet locks for 2 up riding. Thanks for all the other nice shots of helmet locks before I add mine.