Helmet NOT covered with gear on Insurance Policy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen_C

Reaction score
OK, some of you are aware that I low-sided just 1/2 mile from my house when I was on my way to the Arkansas rally. I switched to All State for my cars, bikes, house and rental and saved quite a bit of $ about a year ago. Their claim process and service on this first claim for the damage to the bike and accessories (Sliders and Two Bros Slipons) was great. I received a check today for the total cost of replacement of all damaged parts less my $500 deductible.

I am now in the process of getting my riding gear claim processed and have been told that my shoes, pants, jacket, and gloves are covered, but helmets are NOT covered! Although my limit of coverage is $1,000 and would not be enough to completely replace all five items, I just do not understand how helmets can be excluded. In all honesty, only the pants need to be replaced since the rest have limited road rash and are fully functional, so I will still receive more than required to keep me safe.

Has anyone else, who lives in a state where a helmet not required to operate a motorcycle, heard of this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in a helmet required state, but my insurance carrier, American Modern, is in Ohio and the one time I crashed it was in Ohio. My helmet was covered.

Progressive covered everything for me. IL is a non-helmet-law state. One thing I learned though was to increase my "accessory" coverage. They only cover stock items and whatever your accessory coverage is. If it's only $1000, a set of lights and an exhaust and your done. I raised mine to $5K above bike coverage. I also have extra medical coverage just in case my health insurance balks too.

They took my biffed helmet when they gave me a check.

I think the devil is in the details. Every policy is underwritten differently. I wouldn't be surprised to learn the Allstate used to cover helmets, and may re-cover them in the future.

If you are planning to replace your parts yourself, you should more than make up for your deductibles. And you will have the satisfaction of knowing it's done right.

Small side track, but many helmet resources note that even a low side can damage the ability of a helmet to continue providing protection. It's whether the polystyrene inner liner is at all crushed, regardless of the outer shell.

When I low-sided in RI, helmets optional, GEICO replaced my helmet but not my trashed jacket and pants.
Rhode Island must be a clothing-optional state?
blinksmiley.gif

Ask, in writing, for the claims rep or his/her supervisor to explain in writing, with specific references to the policy provisions, law and facts relied upon, why they are either denying the helmet claim or offering a compromise settlement.

Something like four decades ago, most states adopted a model unfair claims practices act which, among other things, requires such an explanation upon request by the insured. IIRC, in California, that provision is found in Insurance Code Section 790.03(h)(13). Not sure about your state, but the inquiry shouldn't be out of the ordinary for insurance claims personnel there, regardless of whether such a statute was adopted.

After hearing a similar story, I went back into my insurance agent last year to check. My insurance does cover a helmet, but no other gear. I put an extra $1k on gear and $2k on accessories once I found out they only covered the bike in stock configuration.

I have Progressive through USAA (USAA does not directly insure motorcycles) and when I had my wreck they covered everything including the helmet (I live in a helmet required state as well). They also covered up to $3000 worth of accessories that was on the bike, aftermarket or not. I had a falling out with Progressive several years ago and left them and then hated to find out that USAA was using them to insure motorcycles. They treated me right after I had a wreck though...

My Progressive Policy states that safety riding apparel is covered as long as damage was collision related.

They define safety stuff as: “Safety riding apparel” means safety apparel specifically designed to minimize injury from an accident, including, but not limited to, helmets, leathers, riding boots, riding gloves, and protective eyewear.

NJ is not a helmet free state.

Ok, I finally heard back from my "case owner" and she said her supervisor reviewed my policy and I have coverage on my helmet as part of my collision coverage, BUT helmets are limited to $500. So, I now get to decide what to do: replace the helmet and pay the difference or just replace the faceshield. Regardless, all gear and helmet must be turned into the insurance company.

Looks like I need to go helmet and gear shopping today so I can ride Saturday while I'm waiting for the insurance check.

Buy a new helmet. Just do it. The consensus of opinion is that helmets are a "one-time use" object. It did its job - thankfully.

Good to hear that they are covering most of it. There has to be some great helmets out there for 500 bucks.

I know its not Friday, but Is your head worth $500?? Kidding, I know it is.

Yeah, I'll get a solid color GT-Air for just over $500, my head is worth it!

Progressive covered everything for me. IL is a non-helmet-law state. One thing I learned though was to increase my "accessory" coverage. They only cover stock items and whatever your accessory coverage is. If it's only $1000, a set of lights and an exhaust and your done. I raised mine to $5K above bike coverage. I also have extra medical coverage just in case my health insurance balks too. They took my biffed helmet when they gave me a check.
Same here. Progressive replaced all my gear when a deer totaled out my Tenere last fall. I thought they would balk when I informed them the price of my gear but they didn't bat an eye at the price of Shoei Hornet helmet, Klim Latitude coat / pants, and Sidi boots. I did learn a lesson in that I wasn't aware that the protective gear was covered under the $3000.00 accessories coverage. The Tenere was loaded with a lot of accessories and I had to remove a lot of the undamaged ones to get under the $3000.00 coverage before they come to pick up the totaled bike. Like OFace I to upped my accessory coverage to $5000.00 on the Tenere. They did not ask me to turn in the gear so I will use it to create a ATGATT display at my motorcycle school this spring.

Yeah, I'll get a solid color GT-Air for just over $500, my head is worth it!
You've seen my GT-Air, I only paid a little over $500 for it from my buddy who owns a bike shop in LA.

If you haven't bought new one yet, let me know which graphics you like and what size and I will see if I can get you same deal.

Progressive replaced everything for me, and let me keep the helmet. I had to take it to their office, and with them watching, cut the chin strap out. I still have it, and I use it once in a while to preach to folks that think riding without one is OK, or even that open face is OK.

DSC02739sm.jpg