Help! Ideas Needed!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a good route, brother! Please ride defensively.

The Interstate between Mobile and Montgomery is usually empty, flat, and straight. So, kinda like the adage about trees falling in the forest .... if you go 95 mph in a 70 mph zone, but no one sees you, are you speeding?

It looks like the trip might be modified, with all of the rain forecasted for the early part of next week. Sucks, but so does 70-80% chance of rain...

Dude, you're traveling halfway across the country! You'll ride into bad weather AND good weather. Have you read the SEOR thread? Start here and go to the end.

Well, I'm not traveling alone, and the other guy is more rain averse than me. Or he was, until I brought up the idea of a 4 day ride, not 7; then he started acting like me wife, indecisive. We'll see; just got the bike back from the shop, with new shoes!

Trip was reduced to 4 days, no Smokies. Oh, well. I have the maps set up, for when it is time to go!

Late and probably no use now, but my $0.02 - dragon is fine on weekends, before about 9 and after about 4. Skyway is awesome but unless your buddy is comfortable passing, stick to early/late as well. Great BBQ in Telico. Fontana resort has nice cabins and a good restaurant if you'd like to chill for an evening. 28 all the way down from Deals Gap to Highlands (and beyond) is probably my favorite ride - especially South of 74. Franklin (along the way) is home to one of the best restaurants on the planet. I'm NOT kidding. Cafe Rel is attached to a Hot Spot gas station - you go in to the convenience store to use the bathroom. Cash only. Rider friendly. Highlands has a few reasonable places to stay, but if you keep going South on 28 to Pine Mountain, you can hang a right onto War Woman Rd (thank me later) and stay in Clayton. Or carry on to 197 around Lake Burton and wind your way into Helen. 348 (Richard Russell Pkwy) and 180 (Wolf Pen Gap) are the best twisty roads in GA, but 129 (Blood Mountain) is a FAST ride if you're into that. Again, TWoS is worth a stop, if not an overnight. Oh - Jim's Smokin' Q in Blairsville (just North of 348/180) is the best BBQ around. Also rider-friendly.

Late and probably no use now, ....lol.....but it's too bad you took out the smokies portion. We rode up to Mt. Mitchell today and it is always amazing. Beautiful views and you could see for a million miles. I have been up there when the clouds were low and you couldn't tell you were on a mountain but on a clear day it's amazing!! The weather here is only supposed to be bad tomorrow and early Monday morning.....but alas if you get the another chance to go to Mt. Mitchell do it! We usually get on the Blue Ridge around Brevard and heading to Mitchell you go through what seems like endless tunnels, very cool. Not calling the others liars but I have ridden the Blue Ridge a ton of times and I have never seen a patrol car....and we kinda do like Fred said and run 5 to 10 over and it makes for a fun day......as a matter of fact today is the first time I ever saw a ranger with a car pulled over and it was on the road leading to the top of Mitchell.....which for those who have been on the road is almost unbelievable....it was some young kid in a car.

Anyway I say all that just to put in my plug for Mitchell, the parkway and surrounding roads......ooooh another great ride just at the base of Mitchell is 80....Great, great road, very technical and twisty especially close to the Parkway Usually a photographer whos name escapes me now taking pics in one of the corners.

By now you are probably pretty well spent from today's ride. Be safe and enjoy!

By now you are probably pretty well spent from today's ride. Be safe and enjoy!
Actually, we leave in the morning tomorrow. The rain we were trying to avoid came as expected this weekend, so glad we didn't go. Our first night was to be in Pensacola, and this was from the weather app Saturday night:

IMG_0310_zpsxtcwiure.jpg

No thanks. It was pouring here at our desired start time, 5am, and starting a 700 mile first day in a downpour wasn't something we were interested in.

So... we have modified the ride to four days, keeping the last two days as we had them, (Memphis to Natchez, Natchez to Home), and are running up to Hot Springs, AR on day one tomorrow, and over to Memphis on Wednesday, just in time for Bike Night on Beale Street. My riding buddy is on a Harley, so is pumped for Bike Night, and it actually does look kinda fun.

We'll still see some good country, running up on the Talapia Scenic Highway tomorrow, some good roads in AR on Wednesday, Blues Highway and Natchez Trace on Thursday, and a nice ride home on Friday. Any day on the scoot beats one at work, and we got a lot of good advice from you folks for when we do make it out to the Smokies, maybe later this year!

(Brief) ride report... a good time was had by both.

Day one - Central Texas to Hot Springs, AR, via the Talapia (sp) Scenic Highway or Byway, or whatever. Good ride, ran though a little mist around Waco, rest of day was clear. Stayed in downtown Hot Springs, at the Springs Hotel and Spa. The rate was great, ($60), location great, hotel is an absolute dump. Wi-fi didn't work, picked up the phone to call the front desk, the phone didn't work. Oh well, like I said, the location was great, had a nice dinner at the Ohio Club.

Day two - Hot Springs, AR to Memphis. Pretty good riding for the first half of the day, except for the 0mph tipover, while doing a U turn on a cambered road. Minor scratches on the side case and mirror, but the replacements are on the brown truck for replacement today, as I'm kinda anal, and Garauld's can of Colorite isn't the best match for the black cherry. The only good thing about the tipover is that my buddy also tipped his, at the same time. A car went driving by, and we were laughing at what they must have been thinking. As a sidenote, the tipover wouldn't have happened had it not been for some Garmin chicanery, but that's another story... The second half of the day was pretty much slab into Memphis, after we had our bikes "blessed" at a gas stop, by some fellow Texas riders who were heading to WV. The blessing didn't prevent us from driving through three rainstorms down the road, but maybe we got the Noah version.

Memphis was interesting; we rented an apartment about 9 blocks off Beale Street, and were looking forward to Bikes on Beale, a Wednesday night occurrence. Due to the earlier rain, the event was cancelled, but we still managed to sip a few beers at BB King's. Beale Street reminds me of the tourist trap that is 6th Street in Austin, or Bourbon Street in NO, but without the urine and vomit stench of both of those places. Well done.

Day three - Memphis to Natchez, MS. As a big blues fan, I was looking forward to riding the Blues Highway, and seeing the birthplace of my favorite music. Meh. The first part of the day, running down Hwy 61, made me yearn for the twisties of central Kansas... We did stop in Clarksdale for breakfast, at the local McDonald's. Where Robert Johnson traded his soul to the devil, I traded $4.74 for a #4, medium.

The second half of the day was a bit more interesting, as we ran down a portion of the Natchez Trace. Some folks think this is boring, but I'm a guy that loves untrampled nature, away from all the 24" rims and Dollar Generals. We ventured off the Trace in Port Hudson, in order to take a peek at Windsor Ruins, and that is a very cool stop. Got back on the Trace and stayed at a nice Hampton Inn right on the Mississippi, only blocks away from Bowie's Tavern, where I mentioned to our waitress that it's spelled "Lagunitas", not "Langunitas". She had to bring up this misspelling to the manager, making sure my burger had a fair amount of spit in it.

Day four - Natchez to the house. Yuck. No offense intended, Pants, but the roads in Louisiana SUCK! My kidneys were never more grateful than when we saw the Welcome to Texas sign. Of course, that led to another half day of riding in Texas, which, let's face it, outside of Central Texas and Big Bend, ain't that much to speak of.

All in all, the trip was fun, and the Feejer ran like a champ. Like I mentioned, new plastic is on the brown truck, and I also have Canyon Cages, front and rear, on order. It's an '07, but rides like this reminded me of why I'm glad I have it in the stable, to go along with the new F6B.

IMG_9332_zps3sftxrbt.jpg