Help me with my L/D winter FJR project

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are obviously some major advantages to doing all the work at one time, but good lord I felt like I was never going to get this thing on the road. I suppose that is the one advantage of the long winters here in the Midwest; you have months to work on the bike.

Looking great! Very nice job.

A consideration for your upcoming rally participation. Several persons have shared with me how life became miserable after they filled up with bad gas and blew away significant time trying to drain the tank of the gas. This has not happened to me yet but sometimes it is best to learn the hard lessons from others..

I noticed you have the Sampson quick disconnect for your auxiliary full tank tie in to the main tank. I have the same disconnect. I purchased the appropriate half on the quick disconnect to throw into my tool bag. I always carry a length a clear PVC fuel line under my seat to use as a siphon hose. In a pinch, you can take the fitting out of your tool bag, connect the PVC fuel line and connect it to your main tank.... A quick and fast way to empty gas from the tank....either to get rid of bad gas or to help a fellow rider who underestimated their fuel range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea. Actually, once I can find the $$ buying another complete set of the Sampson fittings makes sense. If I am going to have to drain bad fuel from the main tank, odds are I am going to have that same bad fuel in the cell as well. I also like the idea of being able to transfer fuel to another rider if need be. I know Reno John has his set up that way as well, but since he only rides with the "superior gen 1 riders" I am sure they never run out of gas or have any other problems of any kind.

I also took a few minutes to fit on the N-Line dash to see it it will work with the Rifle windshield. I need to check if it works with the shield in the up position, but it looks like there wont be any problems since it clears with a decent amount of room to spare in the down position.
That's good to know. Are you running the latest version of the nline? Time for me to go shopping :).

Yes, I just got the N-Line dash about 2 weeks ago. No question that the Rifle shield will work with the N-Line.

A little update, since I finally got some of the products I was waiting for from Linda T. Here is the bike in full rally mode from the Bonzai rally last weekend. Hydration system, rally book, and fuel cell cover.

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

I still want to add map light for longer rallies, and then there is the entire communications system to upgrade, but that will have to wait for awhile.

One other thing I want to do is drill and tap the trunk mounting plate to move it even further forward. It can move another 2-3 inches before the lid hits the filler neck, and anything I can do to lessen the amount of stress on the rear sub-frame would be good.

... and anything I can do to lessen the amount of stress on the rear sub-frame would be good.
How about a Givi rack??
I have thought about that, and I might go that route, but I just can't stand the way they look. Of course, they look a lot better than a cracked frame. Correct me if I am wrong, but I would also need to have you make some different spacers for the fuel cell as well, right?

... and anything I can do to lessen the amount of stress on the rear sub-frame would be good.
How about a Givi rack??
I have thought about that, and I might go that route, but I just can't stand the way they look. Of course, they look a lot better than a cracked frame. Correct me if I am wrong, but I would also need to have you make some different spacers for the fuel cell as well, right?
I'll add you to the list.

I'm pretty sure I have a solution.

I made the tooling I'll need to made the spacers/standoffs, but I haven't made them yet. The variation from one rear subframe to the next will mean that I'll need to send a tool to you. You'll use that to take the dimensions I need and then I can make the stand-off for your bike (and the Givi rack).

If every GenII rear subframe was identical it would make the job much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it is worth, the stock spacers you sent me worked great, so I would think mine is very close the whatever bike you used when originally figuring out the spacers (yours I assume).

I will have to look to see how much a Givi rack is, I should probably jsut bite the bullet.