how to replace sparkplugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You unscrew the old ones and screw in new ones. Lefty loosey righty tighty.

Doc rad, Basic Wrenchin Dept.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody has detailed the procedure from my memory. I think most that aren't comfortable with just tearing into it find this procedure enough of a reason to actually buy the service manual to make sure you get all the correct torque values for the various critical structural bits.

I only found the tricky part being the t-bar and took my time being gentle on it. That and the plugs are deep so having a piece of butyl rubber in the socket to pinch the plug helped.

That said, there are the torque values of the plugs in the Bin-O-Facts.

You want to document it and share?

Last edited by a moderator:
You unscrew the old ones and screw in new ones. Lefty loosey righty tighty.
Doc rad, Basic Wrenchin Dept.
:lol:

Make sure the area around the plug is clean, it probably will be since its covered with a boot. Use the plug tool included with bike kit. When I changed mine I forgot about this handy little tool and used a socket, which got stuck in the quite deep plug well - apparently the well narrows in middle :unsure: I was halfway to the tool store when I remembered the tool kit that comes with the bike.

When putting the plugs back in you do not want to crossthread the plugs, use a piece of rubber hose (fuel line) about 12" long over the ceramic part of the plug to get the plugs started. I was able to put my plugs all the way into the washer with the fuel line, a small turn with the plug wrench and bingo. Oh yeah, check the gap.

Thanks guys.
maybe it would have been more correct to ask how to get to the sparkplugs.
Ahh.

Lift the tank (two bolts near the steering head, one under the front seat that needs to be loosened) and prop the tank with a suitable piece of wood, or strap it up ala Warchild. Remove T-Bar, unhook two sensors wires underneath tank,

remove the jiffy pop, remembering to drop the plastic rivet holding it into the depths of the motor :)

Lift the tank (two bolts near the steering head, one under the front seat that needs to be loosened) and prop the tank with a suitable piece of wood, or strap it up ala Warchild. Remove T-Bar, unhook two sensors wires underneath tank,remove the jiffy pop, remembering to drop the plastic rivet holding it into the depths of the motor :)
Yeah, yer screwed without the drop. Rule is, somethings gonna go wrong. The drop solves that little dilemma with a relatively benign search and rescue. Woe to the man that avoids the drop, and moves into Phase 2 of the Royal Screw.

Lift the tank (two bolts near the steering head, one under the front seat that needs to be loosened) and prop the tank with a suitable piece of wood, or strap it up ala Warchild. Remove T-Bar, unhook two sensors wires underneath tank,remove the jiffy pop, remembering to drop the plastic rivet holding it into the depths of the motor :)
Yeah, yer screwed without the drop. Rule is, somethings gonna go wrong. The drop solves that little dilemma with a relatively benign search and rescue. Woe to the man that avoids the drop, and moves into Phase 2 of the Royal Screw.
Best to do the dropping while the plugs are still in!

And if you haven't already, go ahead and dent the gas tank with a ball-pein hammer.

And don't tighten them too much or....

DSC01046.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

And don't tighten them too much or....

DSC01046.jpg

DSC01047.jpg
I had one do that too. It was right after picking it up from a valve adjustment, so I just took it back to the shop and the mechanic replaced the bad one. Made me glad I wasnt the one who fubar'ed it up.

Wow toe, would have thought the head would have stripped first! Amazing how a simple job can get expensive quick.

How was that fixed? Did they have to pull the head?
Nope all of the pressure is off the threads since the top of the spark plug is no long pressing down on it. I forget how my mechanic said he got it out, but it was basically something long enough to go down there and grip it a little bit. I know he said it came out very easily.

That broken plug would be one of those times when you reeeeally want to remember righty - tighty, lefty loosie... :unsure:

--G