How will the FJR hold up to some heavy loads?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lharrell79

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do some 2up cross country touring on my 07 FJR. The plan is to use both my side bags for clothes food, and water. A large tank bag for electronics, handgun, phones, wallet, etc. Finally, I have an Aerostitch Motofizz Large bag, that will go on the rear behind my wife. I'm going to remove the stock topcase and rack, and replace it with a Givi SR357 rack. On this rack, I'm going to mount a 12" x 24" sheet of aluminum. The motofizz bag will be strapped to this plate. Inside the bag will be: Tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 air pads, 2 air pillows, MSR stove, MSR mess kit, MSR 30oz can, hatchet, flashlight, coffee press, and some random tools.

So here's the question. Will the Givi SR357, and the FJR subframe be able to hold up to the loaded Motofizz bag? I weighed the bag with all the current crap in it, and it was 35 lbs. That's with the MSR can empty. So add a few more lbs for gas.

I've seen threads on here about guys breaking their tail sections with to much load on them. The other option is to pick up a used Vstrom 1000. However, I don't know that it's rear subframe is any stronger than the FJR's. So what say you guys? Can the tail of the mighty FJR hold up to heavy loads?

Thanks, Lucas

No problem. I rode 2 up 90 % of the time. We have our saddle bages loaded, the top case loaed and pull a trailer. Just got back from a 4500 mille 11 day trip. Usually do at least one trip a year that long and many short ones.

No problem. I rode 2 up 90 % of the time. We have our saddle bages loaded, the top case loaed and pull a trailer. Just got back from a 4500 mille 11 day trip. Usually do at least one trip a year that long and many short ones.
How much weight does your top case loaded weigh? Also, what kind of mounting system are you using? One more, what have you done to the suspension?

Thanks, Lucas

What he said except I am bigger than he is and my wife is average. Have the factory top box and pull a Bushtec trailer. Penske rear shock and Eibach front springs from GP suspension. Notice the weight a little on breaking and in the hills but otherwise No worries.

Gotta say, I'd comb through that packing list a couple more times and look hard for things you can live without. Do you really need the coffee press? The hatchet? Good things when you're car camping, maybe not so much on a m/c. Not only the bulk, but unpacking every night, finding everything, repacking in the morning. . . Anyway, the bike will hold an amazing amount, as I realize every time I'm ready to take off on a long trip and look at the GIANT pile of stuff in my driveway that I'll have to load.

I'll second what Mike says. Take a close look at what you're packing and ask yourself...Am I really going to use this?

I've found that each time I take a trip, there is stuff that doesn't get used and is left behind on the next trip. After a couple iterations, you'll find you don't need a lot of stuff to live off a MC.

Be aware of the GVWR for the bike. All told you've got around 460 pounds to work with for riders and *stuff*. Stock suspension is barely adequate for two-up with minor loads.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
As above, but I'd also move the clothes up & the tools, & stove (denser stuff) down. I tend to get food daily and only carry it a short distance to my campground, not all day. I did the same thing w/the aluminum sheet for a different top box, used the same bolt spacing to attach it. Worked well.

How much weight does your top case loaded weigh? Also, what kind of mounting system are you using? One more, what have you done to the suspension?

Thanks, Lucas
Top case is factory Yammy and wieghs about 40 pounds loaded out. Like FJRay said, I have all the suspension mods he does.

Sounds great, thanks for the replies. I actually have all that crap in the large motofizz, and there's still room for more. And yes, we'll need all of it. We're planning on doing all camping, and maybe only hitting a motel when the weather is bad. The hatchet is a kershaw camp axe, and weighs just a little under a pound. It is small, but functional. It will be used for firewood if needed, and pounding tent stakes.

https://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=168&brand=kershaw

The coffee press is must have also. Both the wife and I are addicts. It weighs a little over 1/2 pound.

https://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/30_oz_java_press/coffee/

I've tried to put together the lightest gear possible. I'm not worried one bit about the FJR hauling us and our crap, I was more worried about the aluminum subframe holding up to 35-40 lbs hanging off of it. The wife and I weigh in around 395 lbs geared up, and all our camping gear and clothes should weigh in around 60-70 lbs, so we should be at around max on the GVWR. I was already planning on beefing up the suspension, just not sure which route i'm going to go. Sounds like it's going to be a go. We won't be doing anything soon though, cause the temps here in Austin have been 100+ for the last couple of weeks.

Thanks, Lucas

Lucas,

You won't have problems, IMHO, unless you ride dirt roads or pavement with huge undulations where the downward force is magnified. Many FJR peeps have installed aux fuel tanks and/or other huge loads with no problems.

Make sure you install the Givi rack under that tail load. The stock grab rail/rack is only plastic and adds no structure to the set up. The Givi rack actually distributes the load between 5 bolts, not just the 3 rearward close spaced ones. It's easy to overload that sub frame and then it's just a matter of time.

Have a great trip !

Brodie

I wish I could find the picture I have of BugR,(Chris)with his full load going to WFO at Park City. He and Diana looked like the Okies heading west during the great depression. Had everything you mentioned and then some.

Make sure you install the Givi rack under that tail load. The stock grab rail/rack is only plastic and adds no structure to the set up. The Givi rack actually distributes the load between 5 bolts, not just the 3 rearward close spaced ones. It's easy to overload that sub frame and then it's just a matter of time.

Have a great trip !

Brodie
Roger that. The Givi SR357 is already on my list.

Lucas

Heavy stuff low. Light, bulky stuff high.

Don't load your OEM trunk more than 30# max.

Consider NOT packing food. Get it when you get close to your nightly destination.

Tools: Entrenching tool & a Gerber multitool is all you need. Pack it low. Entrenching tool works as a hammer, hatchet, and shovel. Look for multitaskers instead of specialized, single purpose things. Look in backpacking supply places for things that stow small and light.

Switch to instant coffee for the camping trip. Leave the coffee press and hair dryer at home.

Sounds similar to our requirements except we don't carry quite as much stuff. Before that we had a 650 vstrom with Jesse bags and a givi 46. The vstrom definite packed more in, and was easier overall. No worries about the frame either (unless truly offroading) Also handled ok without a aftermarket shock. The fjr needed a aftermarket shock bad, so we went with an ohlins built for 400lbs, and that improved handling tremoundously (though she's still a handful 2up with gear for a week). I think you'll be fine, as long as you don't hit any huge bumps, and work to keep the heaviest items down low.

On a sidenote, are you just winging the handgun and flying under the radar, or have you found a law/license that allows you to legally carry in multiple states? (I know depending on your occupation it may be legal).

Sounds similar to our requirements except we don't carry quite as much stuff. Before that we had a 650 vstrom with Jesse bags and a givi 46. The vstrom definite packed more in, and was easier overall. No worries about the frame either (unless truly offroading) Also handled ok without a aftermarket shock. The fjr needed a aftermarket shock bad, so we went with an ohlins built for 400lbs, and that improved handling tremoundously (though she's still a handful 2up with gear for a week). I think you'll be fine, as long as you don't hit any huge bumps, and work to keep the heaviest items down low.

On a sidenote, are you just winging the handgun and flying under the radar, or have you found a law/license that allows you to legally carry in multiple states? (I know depending on your occupation it may be legal).
I'll be getting as TX CHL, which is accepted by many states. It is not accepted by CA, OR, WA, NV, CO?, and a few others. For those states, I will just wing it. Probably keep the magazines in a side case, and the gun in the tank bag with the slide locked. That way, if I get stopped, it will be obvious that I'm trying to respect that states laws.

On to your Wee Strom. How were the ergonomics for loaded 2up? More comfortable or less than the FJR? I'm still toying with the idea of a DL1000 with Happy Trail bags. How comfortable was the seat and leg position on your Wee? How did it compare to the FJR.

As of right now, if I decide to outfit the FJR, I will need to order the Givi SR357, shock, fork springs, seats, and tank bag. A total investment of 1500.00-2000.00. I'm thinking I could do it for cheaper and maybe more comfortable on the DL1000. What do you think?

Lucas

As of right now, if I decide to outfit the FJR, I will need to order the Givi SR357, shock, fork springs, seats, and tank bag. A total investment of 1500.00-2000.00. I'm thinking I could do it for cheaper and maybe more comfortable on the DL1000. What do you think?
How are you going to to do all of that and keep it around $1500-$2000? Rear shock will eat up a lot of that budget.

How are you going to to do all of that and keep it around $1500-$2000? Rear shock will eat up a lot of that budget.
here is the list for a TX permit

Honors TX Permit:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming

TX Permit Not Honored:

Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oregon, Vermont, West Virginia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia

Right Denied:

Illinois, Wisconsin, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands