Ignacio In the Iron Butt Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heading out the morning at 0600 from Ranchco Cucamonga CA for Spartanburg SC and THE motorcycling adventure of my lifetime, an fortunate opportunity to ride in the coveted Iron Butt Rally. I may be making short status reports as the rally unfolds but nothing very elegant or professionally created. I am just a simple, retired "FJR Vintage Rider", hoping to do as Matt said, "Ride Safely and Finish Well".More later,
Good luck to you too Dave! Be safe out there.

Only a couple of days to go.. and we'll all be reading the blog and wondering how these crazy men and women do it!

If yer slabbin' it through Omahell, wave as you pass through. Or if the timing is right, PM me (if you're reading along the way) and I'll meet up with you for lunch or whatever. Actually, I'm on the FJR assistance list, call that number.

Mt Ayr is a neat town...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't get away long enough from work to ride to the east coast and back, so I have to fly to the Start Line in Spartanburg this upcoming Thursday. :(

On the plus side.... I am one of the Scorers there at Checkpoint 2, and also at the Finish in Spokane. So the Pelican Case-equipped K8 will get the nod for carrying the laptop from Washington state to Santa Ana, and return... B)

high_rt_qtr.jpg

Mt Ayr is a neat town...
A guy doesn't often see Mount Ayr mentioned here (or, anywhere else for that matter... :rolleyes: ).

But I often stop there at the little ice cream stand along IA 2 near the center of town. IA 2 (and roads like it) and U.S. 169 (which crosses it) are my preferred touring routes.

A really nice ride is MO 46 just south of there (S. of the MO-IA border).

Good luck Matt! I'm riding up from Florida on Saturday to mingle and see you guys off. If in the Jacksonville, FL area my house and garage/tools are open to all IBA riders during the ride.

I can't get away long enough from work to ride to the east coast and back, so I have to fly to the Start Line in Spartanburg this upcoming Thursday. :(
On the plus side.... I am one of the Scorers there at Checkpoint 2, and also at the Finish in Spokane. So the Pelican Case-equipped K8 will get the nod for carrying the laptop from Washington state to Santa Ana, and return... B)

high_rt_qtr.jpg
God, those side bags are ugly. Maybe we could take up a donation or something to get some that look better.

Good luck Matt, Turbo & all the others that will be leaving soon for the big dance. Don't relax to much on your way there, we want you all to arrive safely at the start.

I'm heading to Spartanburg on Friday and leaving Sunday. I have several people in the IBR and others gathering to visit. Maybe will see you guys. WC, that is a mean looking Busa.

doctorj

high_rt_qtr.jpg
God, those side bags are ugly. Maybe we could take up a donation or something to get some that look better.
ah, thou shalt not diss admins...ya karma lessened there buddy... :rolleyes:

If yer slabbin' it through Omahell, wave as you pass through. Or if the timing is right, PM me (if you're reading along the way) and I'll meet up with you for lunch or whatever. Actually, I'm on the FJR assistance list, call that number.
Mt Ayr is a neat town...
I cut down and went to Nebraska City instead. Grandpa was born in Palmyra 100 years ago to the month. I'm even in front of the Otoe County Courthouse surfing free WiFi.