Inexpensive tire recommendation?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aasland

Depleted
Reaction score
Ok. I've a 5 month old to feed and care for, so I don't get to go on long rides much. But I do need new tires for when wifey agrees to let me go out for a few days. This is also the reason I don't post much here ... my precious spare time is better spent riding or making beer.

In the past I've purchased PR2's and PR3's and been very happy with them. I would gladly pay the premium for a such a wonderful tire which lasts for 10-12k and provides great sitck in dry, wet and cold. I hate having to change tires on the long cross country trips.

However ... my gripe with tires that last a long time is that they get square and stay square for a long time (unless I feel like throwing away the tire with half it's life left).

So now I'm thinking ... since I don't go on long multi-week trips any more, why not buy less expensive tires that wear out more often so I can get that "new tire" feel more often? Who cares if they last 3k miles, if they cost 1/2 to 1/3 of the PR3's? I install them myself, so

The caveat is that they have to stick good in dry wet and cold conditions.

What would you suggest for tires that meet these criteria:

• Not overly expensive
  • Stick good in dry/wet/cold
  • Aren't made by Avon
Thanks in advance!

Michelin Exalto, not overly expensive, sticks good, not made by Avon and lasts 3x a PR2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but that won't work.

The idea is to have a nice round tire more often, not start with one pre-squared at the factory.
mda.gif

Conti-Motion-Pro, expect around 7-8k on wear, will stay rounded,good grip n all weather, on-line, Craigslist etc,. Don't pay more then $169.00 for a set. Good Luck!

I'm riding on a BT-023 because my friend George/escapefjrtist says that the front tire stays consistently round. I haven't riding enough miles yet (dang) to verify that yet.

Back tire - I always thought that PR2s wore well...but hey der guy, Minnesota is flat, doncha know, so either the tire gets flattened, or you buy one pre-flattened.

Conti-Motion-Pro, expect around 7-8k on wear, will stay rounded,good grip n all weather, on-line, Craigslist etc,. Don't pay more then $169.00 for a set. Good Luck!
Hm, looking around, I see lots of conti motion sport but no conti-motion-pro.

Is the pro and older designation?

Still, the sport doesn't look bad either.

Hm, looking around, I see lots of conti motion sport but no conti-motion-pro.

Is the pro and older designation?

Still, the sport doesn't look bad either.
I'm running the conti-motion sport. I bought them from motorcyclesuperstore.com and got the set for less than $200

Pretty good tires. Not fabulous but I was out of a job at the time and the price was right. I've put about 3k on em and they still look almost new.

There's always the controversial Shinko also. One guy had them on at SW-FOG and he rides big miles... He says he's been satisfied with them as a cheap alternative. (009 Raven)

If you want a basic tire, www.Murphskits.com has the Pilot Road pair for $200 shipped.

If you find a special like the Angel, go for it.

If you want my opinion, the PR3 is $102 more, and will out run (most) every tire you can buy @ any price. YMMV

I have to give Spud's recommendation another vote.... when I bought my bike used, it came with Shinko Ravens' on the bike (009) and yes I was surprised at how well they did. I do ride agressively (heavy lean angles) so I did end up upgrading to Pirelli Angel ST. As for the Shinko, I would say they are a good economical tire and for the average rider they will foot the bill easily.

For a bit more money, I still highly recommend the Pirelli Angel ST (now replaced by the Angel GT).

I'm running Conti-Motions too altho this is my first complete set. I've run a front before with good results.

Dunno if I can help tho with what you are asking. I'm one of those guys that squared off tires don't bother me if they've still got good tread because I do mostly slab. I love PR2s and even the original PR (but they're hard to find now; I was getting them cheap @ Motorcycle-Superstore). I just wanted a cheaper alternative too.

I won't get a full test on these either. I've got ~5K on them now, and putting another 2500 or so on this weekend, but I have to change them out for my Montana + west coast run in August to have fresh meat on there.

In between I'm headed to Alaska on the VStrom, then home to change bikes, then back to PNW........

If you find a special like the Angel, go for it.

If you want my opinion, the PR3 is $102 more, and will out run (most) every tire you can buy @ any price. YMMV
I used to run the Angel ST's on my VFR and liked them a lot; still have one on the back of the SV650 but once in a while that rear tire will slide and I nearly poop my pants. PR3's have since become our club favorite, they never lose grip and their longevity is definitely worth the price premium. But they square off in the last 4000 miles too much.

Take a run over to your local race track and pick up some good take-offs.They usually go for around $50.00/tire
I did this once when I lived in Portland and rode a VFR, I got some Dunlop GT2's or something. I won't do it again ... the heat-cycled rubber didn't stick very well unless it was a hot dry day. I almost biffed it one cold wet morning tiptoeing out of the apartment parking lot. Better to put those $100 towards a set of more versatile new tires.

Thanks for all of your input! It sounds like the Conti-Motion sports are the way to go - amazon.com has them for a good price and no shipping.

Time to go play with the little boy and contemplate a sidecar rig....

All tires will turn square if you ride in a straight line a lot of the time. It's not the tire's fault.

Dual compound tires like PR2's, PR3's, BT023GT's will actually square off less in the same number of highway miles than a single compound tire. It's just that after you square them off they still have a lot of life left in them so you have to live with them longer.

The real solution is to ride on crooked roads of varying turn radiuses a larger percent of the time and get off the interstate. Or else get a car tire and embrace the squareness.

Latest posts