iPhone on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRGuy

FJR Rally Addict! :D
Reaction score
I'm looking to tie my new iPhone 3GS into my soon to be upgraded AutoCom system (see post in vendor offers For Sale) and am wondering what others do to mount and/or protect their iPhone. I have a Ram Mount cradle for the car but it does nothing to protect it from the elements.

So whatcha do? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have a specific iPhone, but any cellular/electronic device is going to be subject to the elements. I just put it in my tank bag and if it's about to rain I cover the tank bag in the rain cover. I can still see the face of the phone through the layers.

Alternatively, if having it at an optimum viewing angle while riding...I've seen some folks find a Pelican Case that best fits (maybe an i1030)...and then mount it to a RAM mount. The better setups have been tilted so they can open the case and the phone stays in the case.

My immediate thoughts go to the RAM Aqua Box (Link!) which would thus allow you many mounting options, but I'm not sure if the Aqua Box's flexible front will play nice with the iPhone's touchscreen. I've heard conflicting reports in this regard.

Otter Box also makes a nice waterproof enclosure for the iPhone (Link!), but you'd have to modify it (drill a few holes) for permanent mounting. I'd recommend something like the Techmount system for this application.

...I've seen some folks find a Pelican Case that best fits (maybe an i1030)...
I have several Pelican cases and they are awesome. They just introduced the i1015 which would be their best option for the iPhone. Any idea how they mount them?

My immediate thoughts go to the RAM Aqua Box (Link!).
I have a Medium AquaBox which is too small and the Large would be way too big. I suspect the cover is too thick for the iPhone screen to work well anyway. Works great for the Nano G3 though! ;)

Otter Box also makes a nice waterproof enclosure for the iPhone (Link!), but you'd have to modify it (drill a few holes) for permanent mounting. I'd recommend something like the Techmount system for this application.
Looked at this and it's a viable option. Interested in mounting solutions used.

Mine stays in my pocket or my smuggler. I connect the phone to my Zumo via bluetooth and my tunes reside on the zumo.
Hmmm... good option if I had a Zumo! :p

...Weather and vibration will kill it in no time.
Thus the need for waterproof protection. :rolleyes: Vibration can be an issue with iPods with hard drives but never heard of vibration being an issue with the iPhone

...I've seen some folks find a Pelican Case that best fits (maybe an i1030)...
I have several Pelican cases and they are awesome. They just introduced the i1015 which would be their best option for the iPhone. Any idea how they mount them?
As I said:

...and then mount it to a RAM mount.
There are so many RAM options out there you should pick one that works best with the specific dimensions of your i1015. Perhaps a 238-BU.

Guess I was imagining something a little more elegant than drilling holes in a waterproof case. :unsure:
A waterproof case with holes drilled with deliberate consideration and a dab of silicone is still very much waterproof as would be a RAM arm that is fastened with a quality epoxy. ;)

I put mine in a Seal-Line waterproof bag and snaps to my tank bag map pocket. I can still selects functions through the clear plastic. Work good. even connect wires to phone to keep it charged and headphones and roll bag shut.

I throw mine in one of my side cases and ride. Whatever I need to be contacted about can wait until I get off.

I'm looking to tie my new iPhone 3GS into my soon to be upgraded AutoCom system (see post in vendor offers For Sale) and am wondering what others do to mount and/or protect their iPhone.
DO NOT mount your iPhone to your bike. I have friends at Apple and while they won't say it publicly, Apple will *not* warranty the iPhone for the vibrations of a bike, let alone subjecting it to the elements.

agreed.... put the phone away - leave your troubles behind... I promise they will be there when you get off the bike

I thought about putting it in the pretty small and useless glovebox and leaving it on the charger, but with a SPOT and Zumo for directions and music , I figured calls could wait.

I've been thinking about doing this too. The otterbox looks good. Has anyone modded it for power? One of the GPS programs will burn through a battery charge fast, and dock cables aren't small.