Iron Clad "5 Out of 6 Iron Butt Rally Top Finishers Rode An FJR"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like such a slacker letting that Beemer slip into 4th place. Heh.

That's pretty cool!!!!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
And the Iron Butt Rally notches up one step on the corporate level.

May the IBA and the IBR run completely independent of corporate El-Toro-Poo forever.

It is nice to see the recognition from Yamaha regarding this platform -

perhaps this will be selling point to the board of directors to continue the platform.

This bike, and the devotees who ride it, deserve another 5 years at least.

IMHO, of course -

fuck.gif

Hugs n Kisses

The FJR has always been my idea a perfect dual sport bike. Whether it be zipping around twisty roads or grinding out mile after endless mile. And the notion of durability is such a non-issue. It truly can take a lickin' and keep on a tickin'.

It's success in the IBR should be a selling point. Pretty neat to see it recognized in such a way.

Rock on Mama Yama! You built a great bike. Thanks.

3 Gen I

2 Gen II

No Gen III

Is there a trend here? - the Yamaha ad certainly didn't say anything about the vintage of the top finishers.

I suspect the IBR results will not influence many prospective buyers. Anyone who knows anything about the IBR already knows that Yamaha (actually fantastic competitors who happened to be riding FJR's) had an impressive finish at the event. If you don't know anything about the IBR, I suspect the statistic won't have much meaning or influence. I certainly wouldn't make light of the fact that the machine helped but I also believe that the results wouldn't have been very different if the top riders were riding something else - as long as the bike held together long enough to make the trip (insert BMW final drive comment here).

I would have to assume that the ad was sanctioned by the IBA. If not, I suspect it won't be up there for long.

3 Gen I2 Gen II

No Gen III

Is there a trend here? - the Yamaha ad certainly didn't say anything about the vintage of the top finishers.

I suspect the IBR results will not influence many prospective buyers. Anyone who knows anything about the IBR already knows that Yamaha (actually fantastic competitors who happened to be riding FJR's) had an impressive finish at the event. If you don't know anything about the IBR, I suspect the statistic won't have much meaning or influence. I certainly wouldn't make light of the fact that the machine helped but I also believe that the results wouldn't have been very different if the top riders were riding something else - as long as the bike held together long enough to make the trip (insert BMW final drive comment here).

I would have to assume that the ad was sanctioned by the IBA. If not, I suspect it won't be up there for long.
There are LOTS of people who think you're not a REAL ironbutt rally rider unless you are on a BMW, and there was a time that BMWs were more reliable than other bikes. Times have changed- other bikes have gotten better and BMW reliability has decreased due to final drive problems and little fiddly stuff like can-bus quirks and the like. Rest assured that this year's IBR results were a very bitter pill for the BMW riders.
Re the winning FJRs being older bikes, you only need to look at the LD community. These people get a bike set up exactly the way they want and ride it for several hundred thousand miles. They typically have lots of farkles that make it a hassle to switch bikes, so they are slow to migrate to newer ones. Their Aerostich suits are faded and dirty too. Street cred!

Good little plug, but I'd say that's just about all it is.

But I guess the redneck NASCAR crowd does fly by this theory, in doing so I guess poor old Ford gets the dogpile award...

'13 Cup Mfgr Wins... Chevy=16 Toyota=14 Ford=6

So Chevy's the best ;) hehe

So I agree with the ones who say it has to do with (more-so) the driver and his setup.

May I assist?
[img=[URL="https://s19.postimg.org/iko1921ir/2014_splash_fjr1300e_butt_425_XVLR.jpg%5D"]https://s19.postimg.org/iko1921ir/2014_splash_fjr1300e_butt_425_XVLR.jpg][/URL]
Sales are often helped by creating/feeding fantasies (no big surprise there).

If this ad helps sell a bunch of new FJRs - and they end up as garage queens when the new owners realize that it takes Iron RIDERS to accomplish such feats - no problem!

Eventually those bikes will end up as low mileage "previously owned" bikes, potential platforms for the few riders who have actually lived the fantasy - and need another FJR.

One of the highlights of my summer was watching those riders roll into Sacramento.

"We are not worthy."

Latest posts