Is ES worth the money ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That depends entirely on YOU.Ā  I love mine.Ā  It may not do YOU any good at all. Ā 

For me just the blacked out color scheme on my AssFault Gray 2015 was worth the money.Ā  Then add in the ability to quickly change preload and damping with a few button strokes...

For my Pop it is a non issue.Ā  He set his '14A the way he wanted it and leaves it alone. Ā 

YMMV.

Also, you do know this thread is bound for NEPRT right?Ā  I am not criticizing here, but soon you will find out that there are other threads on this same subject and then...

Worked well for me over the summer as I had to pick up my daughters on the way home from work.Ā  Just bump it for two-up and luggage and I was good to go.Ā  Also good when I rode out to Western VA.Ā  Nice and cush for the highway droning, then tighten it up for the twisties.Ā  Then back again for the ride home. Of course, you could do this all manually.

Just a note ... the A model has a rear shock adjustment lever for instantly stiffer rear suspension.

I use it when I pick up a rider, but you do have to stop to use it ... not on the fly. Ā 

It works for me ... and other folks who like things simpler (and cheaper). Ā 

Just a note ... the A model has a rear shock adjustment lever for instantly stiffer rear suspension.

I use it when I pick up a rider, but you do have to stop to use it ... not on the fly. Ā 

It works for me ... and other folks who like things simpler (and cheaper). Ā 
You have to stop to adjust the spring on the ES models too. And the engine must be running. The damping can be adjust on the fly....

It's worth the money until it's worn out, then it will really cost you.
Surprisingly, there are very few reports of worn out ES suspensions, whereas many reports that the A model suspension requires 1500-$2000 repair when new.

Not so surprisingly, anyone who ponied up the extra $1000 for the ES whizzbangery is going to defend their choice to the death, and those who opted out will tell them how not worth it it is. Ā Guess you canā€™t change human nature?

I bought the ES because it was the only way to get inverted forks on a FJR and I think the handling improvements of the inverted forks is worth the extra cost over a A model. Ā The suspensionā€™s plush ride was a pleasant surprise. I wish the damping adjustments could be independently adjusted but the overall dampingĀ settings seems to be very well balanced as is.

Definite yes for me but Theresa likes tweaking hers with a wrench for the preload and lying on the ground for other settings. Different strokes for different folks. We both had ESA on our BMW's but she said handling didn't change much with different settings. ES on the FJR is more effective.

I put over 80,000 miles on my A. The suspension was still great when I sold it, despite spirited and often heavily laden use. I am quite enjoying the ES.Ā 

I've owned 5 FJR's, 3 Gen1's, 1 Gen2 and 1 Gen3 (my 2014). That bike was the bees knees. Plush for all day droning and quite exhilarating in the twisties. The 14A was my favorite, but had I been able to affordĀ the 14es, I'da bitten. Who doesn't love technology and super cool bike toys.Ā 

I've easily put $1500 into upgrading my 15A suspension. Right now I have it set up for a more plush ride as many of the roads around here are pretty rough but there are times when I'm railing on the twisties and I wish it was a bit more stiff. It would be pretty nice to change the suspension with the push of a button.Ā Ā In retrospect, I wish I had ponied up the extra cash for the ES model.Ā