K1200LT t0 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-E

Reaction score
Going from a luxury tourer to a sport tourer. Found a 2007 AE for $12,699 OTD + the tax I'll pay when I register it in my state. Does that sound like a fare price? Has anyone else made this same switch?

Going from a luxury tourer to a sport tourer. Found a 2007 AE for $12,699 OTD + the tax I'll pay when I register it in my state. Does that sound like a fare price? Has anyone else made this same switch?
Welcome.

$12,699 doesn't sound too bad...nearly $3k less than MSRP. Have you tried D&H in Cullman, AL? Many of us do business with them; usually, their prices can't be beat. For me, it was worth the 320 mile drive.

Didn't try D&H yet but, I will try them when I get home. I'm at work in Africa for another 2 weeks. Got the other price by e-mail, D&H don't do that. D&H would be about 450 miles for me, about the same for the other one. I don't care how far it is I'll go anywhere. I work 28 days on & 28 days off, so when I'm off I can go anywhere to ride it home.

I just bought an 07' (02/05/08). I received $4500 for my 2000 ST1100 and added another $6400 to square the deal. That was OTD including taxes. Before the cash passed hands, I called and spoke with Renaa from D&H and discussed the deal with her. I got her seal of approval, but if I would of had an extra $2K I would have purchased an 08' from D&H. She told me they are selling theirs for $11,999 (taxes not included). Bottom line, I think you are paying too much for that 07'. Tell you what, purchase the 08' from D&H and I'll go down there, pick it up, and drive it back for you!

Welcome to the Feejer club.

Without a doubt you will really enjoy the FJR even after the Beemer!

As one poster stated I think that price is at least $2000.00 USD too high for the 07.

I live on the West coast and the dealer I purchased my FJR from has one 07 left (not the clutchless model).

PM if you would like some more information :yahoo:

Ride safe,

I used to own a Broken Motor Works K1200LT. If you want details, PM me. In any event; yes, I made the switch. I went from an LT to a Triumph Tiger, and then to the FJR. That might make me overly-qualified, because the FJR is more like the LT than the Tiger was, for sure.

You'll have to adjust to some changes from a luxury tourer. Did you ride with a passenger, most of the time? The major change for me, was the switch from the totally relaxed posture. You'll miss the comfort, for a while, but you will adjust to the bike, and you can adjust it to your needs (I'm in the process of doing that, myself). Here is a link that was recently posted for me, to an article about 'sitting' the FJR: master yoda riding position . You may discover (as some have), that you just fall into this position on a long trip. Forewarned is forearmed, just in case.

You'll miss the stereos and gadgets. You can add gadgets to the FJR to make up for those missed, and it'll still be dirt-cheap, compared to a GW or LT. You'll never replace all of that road-blasting stereo equipment, but you can find alternatives that will work okay.

Then there's the ride. Luxury Tourers 'float' down the highway. FJR's don't. They feel every line and crack in the road, compared to what you've been riding. An FJR is much smoother than a sport bike, but there's going to be a LOT more feel than an LT. On the open road, you might think something is wrong with the tires, suspension, ect.. There isn't - the feel is just different, compared to a comfort wagon. It will probably take you a while to adjust to the quicker handling. This bike does require more attentive handling, but you'll eventually find that a pleasure, not a detraction. You might be a little insecure for a while, rubber-necking at scenery, or taking one hand off the handlebar while reaching for something or trying to scratch your nose (or anything else). Have no fear; after your first few thousand miles, you'll feel just as comfortable doing these things as you did on your big tourer.

Wind/road/bike noise is another hurdle. Maybe you've never used earplugs before? You probably didn't have to, on an LT. I never did, but the things are a good idea, now. You won't need them to run to the store, but out on the highway, they're almost a requirement. I prefer EarSeals, which are about $3 at Walgreens. I find they beat custom-fitted plugs, myself.

Wind/weather protection isn't as good on an FJR as a GW or LT, but it's actually very good. You won't be cruising with nothing on your head except a ballcap, because on an FJR it'll blow off, but the environment is mostly deflected away from you. Many do upgrade their windscreen, though (just like GW/LT riders often do). I wouldn't swear to this, but I have found that in the rain, the FJR is marginally better than my LT (so far). On my LT, updraft frequently tended to blow rain up under the faceplate of my HJC CL-33 helmet. I haven't experienced that on the FJR.

When I first got off my LT, I hated my new bike, for about two weeks. Yes, there are going to be adjustments. An FJR is built to ride across country. It's a different kind of tourer than what you've been riding, but it's not an uncomfortable one. Just hang in there, and you'll find your comfort level improving as you adapt. You're going to love the change in performance. Stradling an earth-bound F-16 beats a C-5 Galaxy, every time. But this missile is also very tame. The big, ultra-smooth, low-rpm engine, makes it a very easy bike to lope around a city street or parking lot. It's as light as a feather, compared to an LT. The handling and brakes will do wonders for your confidence. My first experience with that, was a little 25-mile jaunte out to a lakeside restraunt. Nothing but wooded hills through winding roads, and the deer are really bad, where I live. I see these vermin feeding by the roadside, and I slowed to about 30-35mph, to ease on by. My wife was on with me. The second deer decided to jump out on the road. No warning; it just sprang right in front of me. I stopped that bike, DEAD, instantly. I was shocked. No way I could have done that on an LT or a Goldwing, or on my other bike (a Triumph Tiger). I thought: my Tiger has been excellent for avoiding these deer situations, but not this good.

Given time, I found that I missed the luxury items, less and less. Piss on those. Who needs a talking GPS/vanitylight/widescreen/massager/dvd? I don't even have one in my house, do you? MEN don't need all that stuff. You'll feel like a kid once you're back on a real bike, and you begin to enjoy 'riding', instead of 'luxuriating'. Luxuriating, is what women do at a spa, wrapped in an towel while getting a facial with cucumbers over their eyes. Riding is what you do on a motorcycle, not luxuriating.

Luxury tourers are nice, and I've enjoyed the things. However, there are some very real rewards to a bike like an FJR. It's the difference between happiness and joy. You can be happy, cruising down the interstate on a luxury tourer, listening to 300watts of tuned-for-open-air stereo, with your wife behind you on her gynecologically-correct, heated pillion. Yes, you can be happy that way, but you'll feel a pure, fierce joy flying along that same interstate on an FJR. You're going to find yourself laughing at the folks trapped on those rolling couches, who just don't know...

Welcome back to the world of motorcycling.

Luxury tourers are nice, and I've enjoyed the things. However, there are some very real rewards to a bike like an FJR. It's the difference between happiness and joy. You can be happy, cruising down the interstate on a luxury tourer, listening to 300watts of tuned-for-open-air stereo, with your wife behind you on her gynecologically-correct, heated pillion. Yes, you can be happy that way, but you'll feel a pure, fierce joy flying along that same interstate on an FJR. You're going to find yourself laughing at the folks trapped on those rolling couches, who just don't know...
Welcome back to the world of motorcycling.
Great post JRO, hope to read more of your opinions. As a rider with many miles and many different bikes, I have to say I agree with your comparison of the FJR and interstate bikes.

Thanks for the post JRO, I don't have the bitter taste for the BMW as you do, I love mine, just time for a change. I pretty much expect the differance to be about what you discribe. The one gadget I would miss the most is the cruise control & thats a cheap after market fix. As far as comfort, I gave up alot of comfort when I went from my Venture to the LT. Between the Venture & the LT I had a GL1800 for 3 months & didn't like it. 99% of my riding is 1 up, that's what's pulling me to a sport tourer. Thanks for a great report on the FJR.

I just bought an 07' (02/05/08). I received $4500 for my 2000 ST1100 and added another $6400 to square the deal. That was OTD including taxes. Before the cash passed hands, I called and spoke with Renaa from D&H and discussed the deal with her. I got her seal of approval, but if I would of had an extra $2K I would have purchased an 08' from D&H. She told me they are selling theirs for $11,999 (taxes not included). Bottom line, I think you are paying too much for that 07'. Tell you what, purchase the 08' from D&H and I'll go down there, pick it up, and drive it back for you!

If D&H is selling an 08 AE for $11,999, I'll be all over them as soon as I get home & close the deal on my LT.

I know of two 2007 AE's for $11900.00 +your state TTL brand new 1 on floor and 1 still in the crete at Randall Noe Yamaha,Rockwall Texas PH:888.992.6242 I talked to owner today,BobM

I tried calling D & H today before I left my apartment to go to work tonight (in Africa). Either they are closed on Monday or the 7 hour time differance got in the way cause I didn't get an answer. I'll try again tomorrow.

I tried calling D & H today before I left my apartment to go to work tonight (in Africa). Either they are closed on Monday or the 7 hour time differance got in the way cause I didn't get an answer. I'll try again tomorrow.

They are closed on Mondays. Have you called back yet? If you haven't, and you do call back I would speak to Renee (she spells it Renaa). She was very helpful. Let me know how it goes. Good luck.

Big-E Welcome!

I jumped from a K1100RS to the FJR. I never looked back.

I think you'll find you paid less for the FJR, get better mileage, and find more money left in your pocket after service or parts. I liked my BMW also but I don't think I'll ever go back.

Some have said that maybe you paid more than you should have for a 2007. The main point is is it worth it to you. If so, no worries enjoy.

I paid $11,800 in Feb 07 for an 07 from deming cycle (NM). I'll sell it for $10,500 with a new four year warranty,7,000 miles, perfect, and dressed. I really like the black 08. What do they say, you'll only own one black bike in your life. I say let it be an 08 fjr!!! ha

Went from a GL 1800 to FJR, and the new battery in the Gold Wing went dead in less than a year from sitting!

Had to keep the wing for when mama goes too, which is seldom.

If passenger comfort is an issue at all, you might want to see how important it is before getting rid of the LT.

Some passengers don't seem to appreciate handling, performance a light weight as much as "luxury".

I work 28 days on & 28 days off.
Man, where can I sign up for that? I work 6 days on, and then 1 off, and then repeat until I die. <_<
The only thing is you gotta travel 8,000 miles one way to get to work but, it's on their dime & I keep the free air miles.

Hey, You did not answer the question................ Lemme repeat it ... """"" Man, where can I sign up for that?""""""""""" Dont care about the dime.. I'll swim for those hours... Cant take my bike on a plane anyway so air miles are worthless

:clapping:

Last edited by a moderator: