Knee Replacement and FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechJunkie

Reaction score
Since this is not completely off topic I posed this here. Admins please move if there is a more appropriate place.

I had my left knee replaced on February 1st. This is my fist total knee replacement and I am learning that this thing takes more time to recover from than six weeks. I am curious how long it has taken others to recover from this surgery to a point they felt safe riding their FJR. I love my Feejer and am in no hurry to drop it by trying to ride before I am ready but must admit as the weather clears I am feeling the itch and it is getting hard to scratch.

I want a realistic expectation and there is nothing better than advice from people who have been there. All input is welcome.

I had my left knee replaced I am curious how long it has taken others to recover from this surgery to a point they felt safe riding their FJR.

All input is welcome.
TKR (left) 5/22/'03, rode FJR to AMA races (100+ miles away) the end of June '03 (with a cane along for the ride).

Lots of PT prior to 1st ride (I wasn't a model case...) and, altho I had great extension, flexion wasn't so good at first (I shifted alot w/heel of L. boot).

Flexion and extension both, eventually, became excellent.

DePuy (Johnson&Johnson) "Young Man's Knee" (experimental in '03)

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Techjunkie,

I haven't had a knee replacement, but I broke my right hip which led to 3 operations on it, the last of which was a full hip replacement. This was actually easier to recovery from than the earlier 2 !!

I set myself about 12 weeks off the bike, so I had it connected to battery tender. When I felt I was ready, I started by pushing it out of the garage, wheeled it around some like you do when riding, put it up on the centre stand a couple of times etc. Once I felt OK with that, I suited up & went for a ride.

I'm now very careful where I park the bike, as I don't want to have to paddle it uphill, and I ride cautiously if I encounter rain, otherwise it's check the tyre pressures are OK and enjoy the bike.

My surgeon advised me to sell it, which was never going to happen ! Maybe just check with yours that you will have the strength to support the bike and take it easy to start with.

Good luck with your return to riding.

I had my left knee replaced in Oct '09 and was riding my dirt bike in mid-April '10. I was riding the FJR shortly after that. The main issues I had was developing the range of motion to sit on the bike. I came out of surgery with roughly 80 degree range and with physio made it to 105 degree just before Christmas. This is the magic number which allows most people to use stairs.

I had some issues around post-operative swelling and did some extensive physio after Christmas. When the local riding area opened in mid-April I was able to ride my dirt bike. I also started riding the FJR around the same time and if I remember correctly I had about 115 degree range of motion by that time and had most of my muscle mass back.

I was working out at the gym before the surgery and went into the knee replacement with fairly strong muscles around the knee joint.

My physiotherapist was using a laser treatment to help keep the scarring to a minimum since excessive scarring can cause a loss to range of motion. I no longer am riding dirt bikes competitively since there is an increased risk of damaging the femur where the new knee is cemented in. Micro fractures due to the impacts of competitive dirt biking could lead to serious complications. There is a good discussion of this in the Health & Fitness section on ADV Rider Forum.

With the newer knee replacement procedures recovery should be even quicker than before so as long as your range of motion allows you to be comfortable and you have recovered the muscle mass you should be good to go. Everyone recovers at different rates but you need to allow time for the femur and tibula to recover.

As to a timeline most surgeons will quote 6 months for proper functioning of the knee and about a year to full recovery. Results very widely with this procedure depending on the skill of the person holding the knife.

I had my left knee replaced in Oct '09 and was riding my dirt bike in mid-April '10. I was riding the FJR shortly after that. The main issues I had was developing the range of motion to sit on the bike. I came out of surgery with roughly 80 degree range and with physio made it to 105 degree just before Christmas. This is the magic number which allows most people to use stairs.

I had some issues around post-operative swelling and did some extensive physio after Christmas. When the local riding area opened in mid-April I was able to ride my dirt bike. I also started riding the FJR around the same time and if I remember correctly I had about 115 degree range of motion by that time and had most of my muscle mass back.

I was working out at the gym before the surgery and went into the knee replacement with fairly strong muscles around the knee joint.

My physiotherapist was using a laser treatment to help keep the scarring to a minimum since excessive scarring can cause a loss to range of motion. I no longer am riding dirt bikes competitively since there is an increased risk of damaging the femur where the new knee is cemented in. Micro fractures due to the impacts of competitive dirt biking could lead to serious complications. There is a good discussion of this in the Health & Fitness section on ADV Rider Forum.

With the newer knee replacement procedures recovery should be even quicker than before so as long as your range of motion allows you to be comfortable and you have recovered the muscle mass you should be good to go. Everyone recovers at different rates but you need to allow time for the femur and tibula to recover.

As to a timeline most surgeons will quote 6 months for proper functioning of the knee and about a year to full recovery. Results very widely with this procedure depending on the skill of the person holding the knife.
Than you for the info. I have been very fortunate. I was able to walk stairs two weeks after surgery one foot after the other and was able to bend it over 100 degrees. In therapy, cold I can bend it 115, warmed up 120 and 124 with the therapist pushing it. The swelling is pretty good. I went back to work after four weeks but am fortunate to have a very understanding boss/owner. I only go half days and get to head home for icing, elevation and therapy each day for another week or two. My doctor and physical therapist tell me I am not the normal case but I don't want to get over confident and have a problem.

My doctors advice on motorcycle riding was "don't crash".

I had my left knee replaced I am curious how long it has taken others to recover from this surgery to a point they felt safe riding their FJR.

All input is welcome.
TKR (left) 5/22/'03, rode FJR to AMA races (100+ miles away) the end of June '03 (with a cane along for the ride).

Lots of PT prior to 1st ride (I wasn't a model case...) and, altho I had great extension, flexion wasn't so good at first (I shifted alot w/heel of L. boot).

Flexion and extension both, eventually, became excellent.

DePuy (Johnson&Johnson) "Young Man's Knee" (experimental in '03)

Good luck
I am at five weeks tomorrow and feel pretty good where I am at. I can get to 0 degrees on extension and my maximum flexion is 124 degrees with physical therapist assistance. Only about 115 on my own after warming it up. I have sat on my FJR and can get my heel on OK but I can not go from the ground to the peg very quickly and feel this is a must before even thinking about riding. Motion speed is still compromised when the joint set in any position for very long. I want to be sure the strength is there just in case I get into an unexpected lean while sitting still or moving slowly.

I expect three months to be ready to roll but not sure if this is unreasonable. Six months seems a little long based on my current progress but like I say this is my first for this rodeo! This may be a situation where everyone's mileage varies.

Since this is not completely off topic I posed this here. Admins please move if there is a more appropriate place.

I had my left knee replaced on February 1st. This is my fist total knee replacement and I am learning that this thing takes more time to recover from than six weeks. I am curious how long it has taken others to recover from this surgery to a point they felt safe riding their FJR. I love my Feejer and am in no hurry to drop it by trying to ride before I am ready but must admit as the weather clears I am feeling the itch and it is getting hard to scratch.

I want a realistic expectation and there is nothing better than advice from people who have been there. All input is welcome.
Just curious, You seem very young to have a TKR. What happened?

Just curious, You seem very young to have a TKR. What happened?
In 1986 my ACL was blown out of my right knee in a High School basketball game. It had to be replaced and they used cadaver tissue. The surgery was still pretty new then and recovery/rehab was nothing like it is today. Nine months on crutches with a motion limiting brace. Fortunately my knee was good for several years but never 100%. Over time my left knee compensated for the pain, swelling and issues experienced with my right knee. I began experiencing pain in my left knee in 2009. I had it cleaned out twice but that didn't do anything. I went to another orthopedic doctor that dug a little deeper and found I had areas where the cartilage in my left knee was paper thin. They tried microfracture where they poke holes into the joint and bone marrow to get the marrow and blood to seep out. This, over time, will create a fibrous cartilage that many times puts off surgery for several years. Unfortunately, the cartilage just fell to pieces faster and faster and 10 months after the microfracture there was still no relief. I could hardly walk up stairs and some days I looked like a penguin walking on flat ground. There was nothing else they could do but replace it.

I figured my right knee would be the first one replaced. The x-rays and MRI's show an amazing tale of decline with my right knee staying fairly stable and my left knee gradually diminishing over about a year. They really didn't want to do it at 41 but their was nothing left to be done. I don't regret it one bit. While I am having to work hard in physical therapy, I can actually walk up stairs without pain. Fortunately they tell me that the particular appliance I have can have the nylon (not sure what the material actually is) cushion replaced if it ever becomes worn as long as the appliance is still solid.

It is only a matter of time before my right knee will be replaced. We are having that conversation now but will hopefully be a couple of years off still.

I had an ACL replacement and 40% of the meniscus taken out of my left knee several years ago. It was pretty much a total rebuild. I couldn't even mow my lawn without my knee popping out of the joint. My knee has always felt stable since the surgery and I was back on the bike after about 3 months which included lots of therapy. But it was about a year before my knee started feeling really good. Before that, if I did too much it would swell and get achey. Now the only thing I can't do is go up and down ladders. I know I'm headed for a knee replacement some day because I just don't have much meniscus left in that knee, but for now I'm OK. Probably about 80% of where I was before the injury.

I was told in my mid 30's I would be a great canidate for TKR due to sports related injuries and just crappy joints, but I was too young. I've had my right knee scoped 3 times. 80 of my meniscus removed and full ACL reconstruction.

I swear by the elliptical for a good workout that does not aggravate my knee and does a great job at improving strengh in the supporting muscles. If/When you get bored with the elliptical, add the recumbent bike.

Now my shoulder needs attention. :rolleyes:

I was told in my mid 30's I would be a great canidate for TKR due to sports related injuries and just crappy joints, but I was too young. I've had my right knee scoped 3 times. 80 of my meniscus removed and full ACL reconstruction.

I swear by the elliptical for a good workout that does not aggravate my knee and does a great job at improving strengh in the supporting muscles. If/When you get bored with the elliptical, add the recumbent bike.

Physical therapy has me on a stationary bike right now but I love my ellipticall. I searched and searched for one that wouldn't jam my knee back up on the return stroke and finally found a perfect fit. Unfortunately, they won't let me use it yet die to it being weight bearing. I can do it fine but swelling ensues.

I would take a knee over a shoulder any day! Sorry to hear your in for more surgery.

I have had both knees scooped several times. Worked good on right. Worthless on left. Hopefully you get good mileage out of yours.

Physical therapy has me on a stationary bike right now but I love my ellipticall. I searched and searched for one that wouldn't jam my knee back up on the return stroke and finally found a perfect fit. Unfortunately, they won't let me use it yet die to it being weight bearing. I can do it fine but swelling ensues.

I would take a knee over a shoulder any day! Sorry to hear your in for more surgery.

I have had both knees scooped several times. Worked good on right. Worthless on left. Hopefully you get good mileage out of yours.
What Elliptical did you go with? I became so acustom to the high dollar Life Fitness machines at the gym, as much as I would love to have my own for convenience, I'm afraid of spending a few grand to only be disappointed.

What Elliptical did you go with? I became so acustom to the high dollar Life Fitness machines at the gym, as much as I would love to have my own for convenience, I'm afraid of spending a few grand to only be disappointed.
I have a Smooth Fitness CE 2.7. It has what Smooth Fitness calles Agile DMT. HERE is a link to a PDF about Agile DMT. I tried every one I could find and nearly all of them felt as if they were jamming my knee back up just as my leg was transitioning from the down and back stroke back up for another cycle. The smooth fitness machine I purchased has the same action as the high end ones that Smooth Fitness makes for gyms except the model I selected is cheaper and only had three patterns of motion instead of twelve. For what I need I really like it. I am glad I spent the time really shopping for one that fit me. I don't care the brand or fancy functions I just needed a good reliable elliptical. It was originally around $1,299.00 and I found one on clearance for around $400.00 still in a box since newer models were coming out for 2010.

My advice is try many and then shop price. I found that many very expensive elliptical machines simply were not comfortable for me. I also found that close out machines provide significant discounts during inventory change overs.

I hope the bike and elliptical provide me the strength, flexibility and endurance I need to get back on my Feejer soon.

I had both knees replaced on 11.16.10 (just about 3 months ago)(On 11.15.10 I purchased my replacement FJR for the one I left in Clyde Park Montana). I returned to work on 1.02.11. This past weekend I threw a leg over a FJR in a show room just to make sure the Doc didnt make me shorter. (I need all the height I got for the FJR). We still have a ton of snow up here and the sand that goes with it, hence I have not taken the bike out for a ride nor am that anxious given the road conditions. I am not one to simply ride around the block, plus the mornings are still quite cold making that black ice very prevalent. With that said I have no doubt I could ride right now. At 6 weeks I started driving again, which is a good test on how quickly you can move your legs. At 6 weeks I might not have been ready for the bike, however getting up and going to work forced me to use the legs and limbered em up. I also live on the 3rd floor of a house so the steps helps with getting the strength back. I had PT at home, which pretty much was for getting the bend and straightening the leg back, followed by 6 weeks of PT at a PTist. That was for the strengh building.

It sounds like you are much younger than me (maybe 20 years). So this might make your recovery a bit faster. I am guessing you would be ready within 8 weeks and definetly ready in 12 weeks. It sounds like you are doing all the right stuff with the PT, so you are on a good recovery plan. At 3 months I still have stiffness when I first wake up, and walking it seems like a bunch of stuff is snapping around in the knee area. Feels like elastic bands twanging in there. All the pain I do have now is when I am lying down, which is really minimal.

As far as swelling I still have some, but very minor. It is right around the knee it self. I remember when it felt like I had concrete tubes from about 8 inches above the knee to 4 inches below. That is all gone now.

So with all that said you, you are not going to miss this riding season !!

Good luck!!

Willie

I had both knees replaced on 11.16.10 (just about 3 months ago)(On 11.15.10 I purchased my replacement FJR for the one I left in Clyde Park Montana). I returned to work on 1.02.11. This past weekend I threw a leg over a FJR in a show room just to make sure the Doc didnt make me shorter. (I need all the height I got for the FJR). We still have a ton of snow up here and the sand that goes with it, hence I have not taken the bike out for a ride nor am that anxious given the road conditions. I am not one to simply ride around the block, plus the mornings are still quite cold making that black ice very prevalent. With that said I have no doubt I could ride right now. At 6 weeks I started driving again, which is a good test on how quickly you can move your legs. At 6 weeks I might not have been ready for the bike, however getting up and going to work forced me to use the legs and limbered em up. I also live on the 3rd floor of a house so the steps helps with getting the strength back. I had PT at home, which pretty much was for getting the bend and straightening the leg back, followed by 6 weeks of PT at a PTist. That was for the strengh building.

It sounds like you are much younger than me (maybe 20 years). So this might make your recovery a bit faster. I am guessing you would be ready within 8 weeks and definetly ready in 12 weeks. It sounds like you are doing all the right stuff with the PT, so you are on a good recovery plan. At 3 months I still have stiffness when I first wake up, and walking it seems like a bunch of stuff is snapping around in the knee area. Feels like elastic bands twanging in there. All the pain I do have now is when I am lying down, which is really minimal.

As far as swelling I still have some, but very minor. It is right around the knee it self. I remember when it felt like I had concrete tubes from about 8 inches above the knee to 4 inches below. That is all gone now.

Good luck!!

Willie
Willie your post has encouraged me. I have been driving since week three. I started driving my hunting truck with is automatic and on week four started driving my Jeep Unlimited which is a six speed manual. I hope I am back to riding form in eight to twelve weeks. It is getting up to 50 during the day in Indiana and the itch is starting plus I have a new autocom unit installed on the Feejer before knee surgery that needs fully tested. :) I still do have the "concrete tubes" but only around the knee itself now. Swelling is gradually going away.

Thanks again for your encouraging words.

Hi Techjunkie,

I,m sorry to hear of your surgery. It sounds like your on the road to recovery. Keep up with the PT for stength and range of motion.

I've had a few meniscus surgeries and surgeries to my left patella, recovery seemed long at the time, now you wouldn't know I had it done.

No knee replacements yet. The biggest problem is the need to straigthen my leg after having it bent while riding long periods,and after the surgeies I

became sensitive to my knees getting cold, especially while riding. I'm putting on highway bars this year to help out.

I wish you a speedy recovery, hopefully none of this will bother you in the future.

Gravity

Good luck!!

Willie
Willie your post has encouraged me. I have been driving since week three. I started driving my hunting truck with is automatic and on week four started driving my Jeep Unlimited which is a six speed manual. I hope I am back to riding form in eight to twelve weeks. It is getting up to 50 during the day in Indiana and the itch is starting plus I have a new autocom unit installed on the Feejer before knee surgery that needs fully tested. :) I still do have the "concrete tubes" but only around the knee itself now. Swelling is gradually going away.

Thanks again for your encouraging words.
Figured I would give you an update on me and riding. While the weather still really sucks up here in the NE, snowing today and yesterday, but not sticking. 2 weekends I went out for around a 200 mile ride with my new knees. I had no real problems when stopping and they don't hurt while riding. After being in the saddle for a while the knees stiffen up (like they do when you are sitting for a while) so before I got to a spot where I knew I would have to put my feet down, I would kick them out and as test to see if they worked. Now if you think about this, what would happen if they didnt straighten out, all the test would do would be to induce panic before you had to stop. They always straightened up, so no cause for alarm. It felt good to get out even if the temps did drop into the 30's during the ride. Oh btw the concrete tubes are almost gone now.

So how is your knee doing

Willie