KrZy8 Gen2 - Charging Circuit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All righty then.

I have read this and believe for sure I am afflicted.

I want the Marine wire and all the other parts!

However I am challenged and need help doing it. Anyone going to attempt this in a few hundred mile area from Harrisburg PA?

I will pay you, buy you the setup outright, just need some help. I am physically challenged to say the least.

I am on a 4 week West tour right now sitting in Salina KS at a KOA. Tomorrow is Denver. See post under Ride Reports.

So if anyone near Harrisburg is willing to do this and has the electrical know how, I will be home the end of the month.

I can order all parts while out on the road and ship them to you while I am gone so they are there.

Anyone interested in helping a gimp out? I am retired/disabled so I have every day open.
My .02, for what it's worth?

The 8 AWG marine wire isn't needed, 10 AWG is optimal. Yes, you can run larger wire, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. The weak link still *appears* to be the connector. KrZy8 is running strong, charging wise, more than 600 miles after the 'fix'.

LAF, get the harness from Jack at roadstercycle.com, with 50 amp breaker, install and be happy. Plug n' Play.

Wrap the wire with some kind of protector... I used Napa asphalt loom. Cheap, durable, a good fix.

If that doesn't work, (it will!) then go for more...

All righty then.

However I am challenged and need help doing it. Anyone going to attempt this in a few hundred mile area from Harrisburg PA?

I will pay you, buy you the setup outright, just need some help. I am physically challenged to say the least.

I am on a 4 week West tour right now sitting in Salina KS at a KOA. Tomorrow is Denver. See post under Ride Reports.

So if anyone near Harrisburg is willing to do this and has the electrical know how, I will be home the end of the month.

I can order all parts while out on the road and ship them to you while I am gone so they are there.

Anyone interested in helping a gimp out? I am retired/disabled so I have every day open.

The 8 AWG marine wire isn't needed, 10 AWG is optimal. Yes, you can run larger wire, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. The weak link still *appears* to be the connector. KrZy8 is running strong, charging wise, more than 600 miles after the 'fix'.

LAF, get the harness from Jack at roadstercycle.com, with 50 amp breaker, install and be happy. Plug n' Play.

Wrap the wire with some kind of protector... I used Napa asphalt loom. Cheap, durable, a good fix.

Thanks Dave guess I will order the stuff up and give it a try. As I have said before I am pretty scared of 'lectric. Childhood thing where I had to block tackle my brother off a light he was playing with and got stuck to. I will give it a go though.

All righty then.

Thanks Dave guess I will order the stuff up and give it a try. As I have said before I am pretty scared of 'lectric. Childhood thing where I had to block tackle my brother off a light he was playing with and got stuck to. I will give it a go though.
You can do it! Just take your time, and if you have digital camera, use it. Oh, and it's Don.

Dave is not here, man! ;)

I'm kinda surprised he knew that Howie.. Tommy wasn't on the Larry Welk show was he?

Carver sits around watching re-runs of that show, an cry's himself to sleep. ;)

I'm kinda surprised he knew that Howie.. Tommy wasn't on the Larry Welk show was he?

Hey you Clowns, Knock it Off! I'm "sleeping" with Carver next Saturday night and I don't want him all pouty and moody on me! I bought him jewelry for his charm bracelet!

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's the last thing Carver sees every night before the sobbing begins:

tommy.png

Wow, this has been quite a journey, all 15 pages! My '09 will max out at 13.8, but I've been doing my best to ignore it so far. It's interesting to note that I've smelled a "hot" smell from time to time, but not an acrid "burnt insulation" smell. I know other Gen II owners have noticed a similar smell with no real answers, or hard failures for that matter. I can't help but wonder if this isn't a manifestation of this issue...hot wires/RR. Anyway, looks like I'll be doing another electrical mod to my bike. I think I'm going to keep the OEM stuff in tact on the bike so I can switch back if I have a warranty issue. Don't want them to have a reason to deny a warranty repair.

...If when Bob (S76) ever replies about where he sourced his terminals and exactly what they are I will be looking to replace the Furukawa terminals.

This link may help:

https://www.easternbe...connectors.html
Those are 'stock'.. The other feller found some automotive connectors that fit..
My apologies gentlemen. Been busier than a one armed paper hanger and haven't been on the board.

No, I did not find any automotive connectors that fit. I found some automotive connectors that i was able to make them fit. The terminals I used are plain automotive #10 female terminals. The #8 wire just barely fit in them. They fit very tight on the RR lug. So tight I had to open up the connector "mouth" a little. But they do not fit the factory plastic plug. I had to cut off the plastic crimp protector, bend them a little, an then cut a little square in the terminal so the locking tang would engage. Then they fit in and locked, but the plug would not go on because they were canted at an angle and did not line up. A little tweaking and filing the mouth of the plastic connector bigger and then it fit. Goes on tight.

For you plug and play people this probably isn't what you are looking for. But I consistently see 14.35 on cold idle and 14.18 to 14.22 down the road. The factory connectors just slid on and off very easily and I didn"t like it.

So good to see all the people that are geting good results with this fix.

Thanks again Don for pioneering this.

Bob

I know have 3 weeks? of daily commuting and one 540 mile day ride and all is remains good! This morning, running heated gloves and jacket voltage dropped from 14.2 indicated to 14.1 indicated, then back to 14.2. Almost like the new and improved system laughs at loads.

An update - Something past 5k on the new KrZy8 and all is well, yes, I knocked on wood before posting this..

Still see 14.2, 13.9, sometimes 14.4, 14.5 on the inaccurate yet repeatable X50 radar detector in volts mode.

Given that it's colder these days I've been running a 90W Warm n Safe jacket and xx watt gloves. The lowest I've seen with these loads has been 13.9 at idle.

Given that it's colder these days I've been running a 90W Warm n Safe jacket and xx watt gloves. The lowest I've seen with these loads has been 13.9 at idle.

Wow. If I run these same things on my 1st gen I'll see it dip to 13.5-13.6 during the "both on" time of the heattroller. When I run mine plus my passenger's (same setup) it dips to ~13.2 when the two controller get into sync with each other. I've found that this is still a survivable situation for the battery, but I wonder, dread really, how much damage I'm doing to the (known to be weak) stator windings. My OE alternator is 75k miles old. It probably doesn't owe me anything at this point.

Time to start re-looking into a 1st to 2nd gen alternator upgrade. I know that it has been done before and is mostly a matter of coming up with the $.

On second thought, maybe it's time to go through the charging system wiring on my 1st gen and see if the same thing isn't happening.

I'd like to clarify my 13.9 at idle statement - that's with no fans on, lo beam headlight, no brake or turn signal lights...

..and yes, it would be interesting to see if the Gen1 benefits too..

Wow. If I run these same things on my 1st gen I'll see it dip to 13.5-13.6 during the "both on" time of the heattroller. When I run mine plus my passenger's (same setup) it dips to ~13.2 when the two controller get into sync with each other. I've found that this is still a survivable situation for the battery, but I wonder, dread really, how much damage I'm doing to the (known to be weak) stator windings. My OE alternator is 75k miles old. It probably doesn't owe me anything at this point.

Time to start re-looking into a 1st to 2nd gen alternator upgrade. I know that it has been done before and is mostly a matter of coming up with the $.

On second thought, maybe it's time to go through the charging system wiring on my 1st gen and see if the same thing isn't happening.
If he's using the radar detector, then that 13.9 is a high reading. True value would be more like 13.6 or 13.7. In fact, considering all of his woes, why the heck the Kali Hippy hasn't gotten himself a proper Datel voltmeter is just beyond comprehension. :blink:

I did the wiring mod a few weeks ago.

Just completed a 3K trip with heated gear on all the time. A Gerbings jacket and Gerbings gloves. With both pieces on high, I saw 13.5 (Datel) the whole time while riding. Before the wiring mod I had 12.8.

Oh, and when the Gerbings gloves filled with water I had 13.3, but they dried themselves out after a few hours and it went back to 13.5.

This post should be at the top of the thread!

I knew once I installed that #$^%% meter I'd be coming back to this thread looking for an upgrade / repair path.

I have contacted Jack about his harness and hope to have it in route soon.

His web site shows they are now wrapped in a pvc loom. Will this be sufficient or should I order asphalt as well?

If needed, what size?

I hope to do this once, with no parts delays.

Thanks for the great info ;)