Largest Luggage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrsochs

Reaction score
Hello all,

I want to say bye bye to my DL650 after testin an 05 FJR for three hours. Love !!!!!

My favorite rides are 6-12 hours , with small digital office, clothes and random other gear. The luggage on the FJR seems minimal in capacity compared to the VStorm and the other dual sport bikes (R1200,Super Tenere) etc. I know the FJR is a SPORTTourer and not a SportTOURER but since the test ride, I don't see how I can go on as a motorcyclist without owning an FJR class bike (K1300S, 2010 Ninja 1000) so the questions are:

What is the largest capacity luggae availible for the bike?

Does having a top case destabilize the bike?

Do top cases really fall off?

What do I need to know to spend a few days on the bike?

thanks

"Garauld's work is the best quality (custom level work), best price,and the best customer service of any vendor I have ever used. The fit, finish and attention to detail of his products are outstanding. I also highly recommend him."

Look for Garauld's products, you will have more versatility with one of his luggage racks.

Best regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I came off the Wee to the FJR and keeping a one bike promise to myself (for now) I can't say I miss the Wee when compared to the FJR. Then again I was never using the Wee for it's intended use other than hopping the occasional pesky curb.

I try to keep it under 120 when my top case is mounted (Givi E55 Maxia), It's a big case. It will hold 2 FF helmets and jackets. I have no stability issues, have never lost my payload, and the only time I know the bag is there is when I go buy groceries with the FJR. keep the heavy stuff in the sidecases down low. Seriously @120ish the bike stable. You may find the case acting as a sail in crosswinds, but that will feel like nothing when compared to the Wee.

Spending a few days on the bike is all about ergo's which is completely unique to you. Me... I needed a new seat, 1 inch risers, and highway pegs to get cozy.

Are you carrying all the crap you mention because you can, or because you need to? sidecases, large trunk, then rok strap misc.. If you still don't have enough storage, you need a Suburban.

I came off the Wee to the FJR and keeping a one bike promise to myself (for now) I can't say I miss the Wee when compared to the FJR. Then again I was never using the Wee for it's intended use other than hopping the occasional pesky curb.

I try to keep it under 120 when my top case is mounted (Givi E55 Maxia), It's a big case. It will hold 2 FF helmets and jackets. I have no stability issues, have never lost my payload, and the only time I know the bag is there is when I go buy groceries with the FJR. keep the heavy stuff in the sidecases down low. Seriously @120ish the bike stable. You may find the case acting as a sail in crosswinds, but that will feel like nothing when compared to the Wee.

Spending a few days on the bike is all about ergo's which is completely unique to you. Me... I needed a new seat, 1 inch risers, and highway pegs to get cozy.

Are you carrying all the crap you mention because you can, or because you need to? sidecases, large trunk, then rok strap misc.. If you still don't have enough storage, you need a Suburban.

Ha ! You must be reading my mind ! Yeah the Wee luggage acts as a big sail. The sheer power of the FJr will certainly feel different. I wonder how highway riding will feel. I ride 99.99% on the street but have inkling to get off road -just for the experience so perhaps the FJR and I'll need to add a James Stewart bike for other stuff.

I'm a musician/photographer/dad so I typically carry enough gear for travel btu also to capture those ideas that only come when I'm not trying to have ideas, and capture those moments in my family's life that only come when you don't have your camera. IF that makes any sense ! My reason for riding is practical (grocery runs and errands) and healing (something about the higway and the engine noise that blocks out the pain of all the (*&^(& I can't do anything about but still have to deal with-not into golf yet. need something more active) There is noting like MILES and HOURS of pavement to bring an otherwise clouded (no not from drugs) brain to the peace of stillness and clarity -all while working desperately to stay alive admidst the cagers. So, I carry alot.

One day, I'll figure out how to carry a bass amp and an electric bass on the motorcycle. I play several instruments - music is my profession. Can't get a piano on board but at least a small horn, a small keyboard and an amp. Surely, with all the bikers out there somebody has conceived of a trailer, hitch, ball, luggage rack combo that can make it happen. In the meantime, I'll just settle for luggage big enough to hold a heavy backpack, clothes for :home,sleep,a business meeting, church and exercise, and finally something that bends light as well as the bike bends time so that I can park the FJR anywhere and it not be seen by the covetous ones with the ability to make things disappear (but I'll settle for just a motorcycle cover and the various emergency and safety items one needs for being a road warrior.)

Thanks for the tip on the Givi E55 Maxia. I will add that to my purchase when it's time to buy the bike. I definitely need bar risers. The bike I tesed had a 700 argent seat. Not bad.

Suburban is on the menu too. Thanks. Time to go rehearse . .

Givi E-52 or E-55 are both pretty big. Loading hardware like that, you'll want the Givi rack, as it's steel, and replaces the stock rack, which is plastic. Here's why.

I've carried upwards of 30 pounds in my E52 on the highway, no problems.

As for buffeting, I've not noticed any issues with it, but others claim it's deadly dangerous! But if you get some buffeting with the top case, supposedly a tail bag strapped onto the pillion seat to fill in the empty space will cut the buffeting down.

...I typically carry enough gear for travel btu also to capture those ideas that only come when I'm not trying to have ideas, and capture those moments in my family's life that only come when you don't have your camera. IF that makes any sense ! ...
My FJR came with the factory trunk on it (this IS NOT the largest capacity option). I have had no stability issues with it, and it has never fallen off either. Using only the saddlebags and trunk, I have been able to pack everything I NEED for 2 week trips on the bike, regardless of if it's solo or 2-up.

My wife and I spent 2 weeks out west this summer in MT, WY, CO, SD etc. We had everything we needed on the bike, plus her camera gear (body, 2 lenses, batteries, charger, cards, etc.) She took 4000+ pics, most from the back of the bike while rolling. I lost count of how many times her 50-500 telephoto thumped me in the back of the helmet. I'm sure you'll have room. But you may need that trailer for your instruments. I've seen FJR's pulling trailers, BTW.

Have you sold your wee yet?

-Paul

The FJR is far more planted than the Wee. weight, suspension, etc... No more bobbing and dancing behind a Semi. IMHO no need for a steering dampener or shock brace on the FJR.

Yes there are a few on here with trailer rigs. HERE is the best method of searching the forum.

...I typically carry enough gear for travel btu also to capture those ideas that only come when I'm not trying to have ideas, and capture those moments in my family's life that only come when you don't have your camera. IF that makes any sense ! ...
My FJR came with the factory trunk on it (this IS NOT the largest capacity option). I have had no stability issues with it, and it has never fallen off either. Using only the saddlebags and trunk, I have been able to pack everything I NEED for 2 week trips on the bike, regardless of if it's solo or 2-up.

My wife and I spent 2 weeks out west this summer in MT, WY, CO, SD etc. We had everything we needed on the bike, plus her camera gear (body, 2 lenses, batteries, charger, cards, etc.) She took 4000+ pics, most from the back of the bike while rolling. I lost count of how many times her 50-500 telephoto thumped me in the back of the helmet. I'm sure you'll have room. But you may need that trailer for your instruments. I've seen FJR's pulling trailers, BTW.

Have you sold your wee yet?

-Paul

No. I haven't. Truthfully, I may be keeping it or trading it against the newer bike. Its got Throttlemeister, handguards, pegs for a motorcycle rack, crash bars, Staintune exhaust, and OEM Suzuki/Kappa luggage. I'm spending about 800 to bring it up to service specs. New Chain and sprockets, new tires, new clutch cables, and some ball bearing work. I've had it three years and logged about 20,000. It had 23,000 when I bought it. Great bike.

fjrsochs- Welcome! I actually was -THIS- close to purchasing an FJR in 2007, even went home to get my checkbook to write a down payment. That was the same day the 2007 "altitude sickness" problem really hit the forum board (eventual recall took care of that problem), and it stopped me dead in my tracks on the purchase. A week later I was perched atop my new 2007 DL650. 4 years and 27,000 happy miles later, I traded the VStrom for my new left-over 2010 FJR (bought May 2011). But more FJR in a minute.

Handling issues with the VStrom- "luggage acting like sails", I wore 4 different 3-piece set of luggage on mine. For the first 2 seasons I alternated between 30 liter and 40 liter Hepco Becker side cases (huge outer dimensions, they were double wall boxes so bigger than equiv. storage volume Givi boxes) that were left over from my Moto Guzzi before the VStrom. For the last 2 seasons, I ran with both large and small Pelican cases, the top loading 1440 and 1430 Pelicans- well documented on the Stromtrooper owner's forum. And always with the Givi E45 top box. The thing that makes the VStroms rock solid is an aftermarket fork brace. Fork braces, by my observation, aren't as necessary for the FJR (I could be wrong), but a good fork brace on the VStrom will give you a rock solid platform keeping the two fork legs in harmony with each other when wind or road bumps try to mess with your handling. 2-lane highway and big trucks flying by? You won't even notice that truck whizzing by you. Moderate side winds/gusts are pretty much a thing of the past, but strong gusts can toss around any bike. I used the KB Fork Brace bought from Murph's Kits. But I digress, this isn't a VStrom discussion, now is it?

Back to the FJR- I've got the biggie Givi 55 liter top box others have mentioned, it's mounted all the time. Great box! I can stash my Aerostich Darien jacket and pants and a fleece sweater in that 55 liter box without a problem, and it'll hold a week's worth of laundry if you need it for that. My factory side cases are also always mounted, and they will hold my XL Shoei Multitec helmet just fine. I'm not a triple-digit-speeds rider, but at those times where I'm droning along on the interstate at a... spirited clip, I notice nothing adverse from the luggage at all.

But I do miss the top loading feature of my old Pelican side cases compared with side loading cases of any brand. Given my drothers, if Yammy hired me to consult on the next generation FJR, I'd spec a new side case design with a top load feature. Givi has a top load aftermarket case, but it's only 21 liters (E21 Cruiser). Their E41 Keyless Monokey case may be partially top loading, but I think the main "door" is a side load door. I hate having stuff tumble out when I open that side case, top loaders are so much better, in my opinion.

All Givi cases that are either side case only (panier) or side/top mount boxes. Man, the E45 used in side case mountings would be HUGE! https://www.giviusa.com/Side-hardbags/Monokey-Lateral/

I was just checking the Givi website for FJR fitment. As others suggested, I'd get the Givi top case rack for sure, and not depend on the factory top case rack. I also looked for side racks https://www.giviusa.com/Fitment-kits/ and didn't see anything specific for any brand of bike, but in the "My Motorcycle" section showing FJR specific products, there was an image with an FJR wearing Givi side cases, but no side racks identified. Might have to call Givi and ask which side racks would be needed to hang Givi Monokey boxes from the sides of your bike, but my guess is they'll have something from their PL or PLX series, or maybe the Wingrack series, for their cases. (Givi Monokey boxes are for motorcycles, Monobox boxes are lighter duty meant for scooters.) I don't recall the size of the FJR side cases, but Givi can provide bigger ones (the utilitarian E36 and E45, for example). And I think the more uniform shape/rectangular shape of the Givi cases is more useful to storage than the sculpted, 6-sided, aerodynamic shape of the factory Yammy cases. Some OEM cases are so over-designed in their shape that the interior volume shape starts to work against you in the sorts of stuff you'd actually want to put in the cases. But they look good, right? Form over function... not my philosophy, but I'm not selling sleek looking motorcycles, either.

That said, you'll love that FJR. Get it tweaked the way you need it to fit your body, load 'er up, and hit the road for miles of mental therapy!

What is the largest capacity luggae availible for the bike? - I dont know, but you can fit a 12 pack of coors lite in either saddle bag. Givi makes a few man sized trunks.

Does having a top case destabilize the bike? - Destabilize isn't really the word I would use. The bike will seem a bit heavier. Nothing to be intimidated by though.

Do top cases really fall off? Only if you want them too.

What do I need to know to spend a few days on the bike? read here----> www.ironbutt.com

Some have lost both top case and side case. All easily remedied by quick release pinning the case to the mounting area(s). I bought the pins to do this a year ago, and have yet to actually mount them if that's any indication of how concerned I am about losing my luggage (or I'm just plain lazy) ;)

If you get a Givi topcase and mounting plate but still have concerns about it coming off, there are threads here that show you how to secure it with about $3 parts and 15 minutes of labor. Not sure I needed it but I did the mod and have no worries. Also I've never yet felt any ill effects with my topcase installed.

Bill

My Givi stayed on the bike during two separate crashes. Simple low-sides, no tumbling of the bike, but still, the damn thing hit the ground pretty hard, top case was heavily loaded in one of those, and no issues.

I'l say for the record that those who had issues with flying Givis had issues with the plate latch that simple cleaning and care would have alleviated.

Oh yeah the $7,000 non ABS 2005 FJR I'm looking at has 16,000 miles on it. Clear VIN report.

Think it's worth it for the low mileage. Most other 05's I'm seeing are 5,500 to 6,200 but with 35K+ mileage.

I know the bike is good for much greater mileage

That's still a bit steep, I think, even with the miles. No ABS, and that ugly blue!

What do you think is a fair price for it ? $6,300.00 ?

I like the blue especially at 120mph. My Vstrom blue never gets to look that good. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, that blue is a pretty nice color, but being an '03 owner I'm not really allowed to say that . . . :p

I gave less than 6K for my '03 4 years ago. It had just over 40K miles but was only 4 years old. So 7k, or even 6300 for a 6-year old "same" bike just seems steep. The mileage is low, but that's ALL it has going for it as far as that kind of price goes.

I couldn't say what's fair, but I couldn't part with more than 5500 for it, even with the miles.

And prices are regional. Some areas run higher than others.