LED Cornering Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2016 A also has LED Headlights, but the cornering light part of the headlight bucket is vacant. And that bucket with the cornering lights in it is ~$1300 just for the bucket, not counting any extra wiring and inertia modules required.

The 2016 A also has LED Headlights, but the cornering light part of the headlight bucket is vacant. And that bucket with the cornering lights in it is ~$1300 just for the bucket, not counting any extra wiring and inertia modules required.
Thank you Fred, but the $1300 extra, also covers the electronically adjustable suspension and the inverted front forks...JSNS

OK, I just looked at a video and see the cornering lights in the headlight. The lighting is not created from where I was thinking in the earlier posts.

No, I was telling you what that ES headlight bucket costs if you were to buy one today as a part.

Headlight Assy
B95-8430B-00-00

$1,289.55

Better take care of yours, Joe. They seem to be made from gold.
The shipping company which delivered my 2016ES from Alabama to Washington chipped my headlight assembly. They didn't make out as wells as they thought they would after replacing the headlight assembly on my bike. :) They asked for the chipped headlight assembly so they could try and sell it on eBay.

I have had my 2016 for 11 months now and the biggest improvement other than 6 speed are the lights, LED lights re fantastic, and the cornering lights I found exceptionally good very noticeable, it makes night riding a pleasure now

Is the LED headlight bulb replaceable if it goes out? (didn't see it on the parts fiche.)

I know they last a long time but...

With more widespread use of LED headlights, seems to me there has to be a method of repair if (when) something goes wrong. Does it mean we're more beholden to the dealers...probably.

--G

You guys are funny. Of course the LEDs are replaceable. Everything is replaceable...

2016 A model

Headlight Assy
B88-8430B-00-00

$1,001.53

2016/17 ES model

Headlight Assy
B95-8430B-00-00

$1,289.55

If you are that concerned about burning out LEDs you might want to get that YES coverage. I'd be more concerned about about 100 other things, because LEDs do not burn out.

I'd be more concerned about about 100 other things, because LEDs do not burn out.
I agree that LEDs will should last a very long time if properly implemented (voltage control and adequate heat dissipation designed with a unit that isn't subject to vibration-induced failure). I'm not sure what the true expected lifetime is for these but probably in excess of the life of the bike - tens of thousands of hours of operation if you can believe what you read. You might expect some "infant mortality" due to defective parts but that is likely covered by standard warranty; assuming the owner puts more than a couple thousand miles on it in the first year. (If the Yamaha headlight LED is fan-cooled as for some aftermarket lamps, that is a more likely point of INITIAL failure although the LED could follow soon after.)

At this time, there really isn't enough history on Yamaha's system to assess "real" life expectancy under a variety of environmental conditions. Perhaps not 100 other things more likely to fail but it is fair to suggest that the LEDs are probably not at the top of the list.

Don, we are talking LED's here, not kerosene lamps.
not_i.gif
punk.gif

If you are that concerned about burning out LEDs you might want to get that YES coverage. I'd be more concerned about about 100 other things, because LEDs do not burn out.
Which other 100? About to pull the trigger on another FJR, need to know... <g> just kidding here....

Friend has a BMW (so this explains it) but his LED tail light assembly failed ( I won't say "burned out") and it was several hundred $$ as I recall to repair. Another friend with an Audi had some horror stories, so apparently there are some LED assembly failures.

Before this goes to NERT, you folks with the 2016ES and the 2015-16A you may want to purchase the lens covers offered for the pricy LED headlight assembly. Seems to me that would be money well spent. I doubt Y.E.S. will cover damage caused by flying objects.

Before this goes to NERT, you folks with the 2016ES and the 2015-16A you may want to purchase the lens covers offered for the pricy LED headlight assembly. Seems to me that would be money well spent. I doubt Y.E.S. will cover damage caused by flying objects.
the 15a has the same headlight you do on your 14, we concluded that a page or 2 ago. it is not led !!

no plans here for a lense cover. mine is covered with a 3m self healing film (along with many other bike parts)

amazing this is 3 pages long.

Last edited by a moderator:
the 15a has the same headlight you do on your 14, we concluded that a page or 2 ago. it is not led !!

no plans here for a lense cover. mine is covered with a 3m self healing film (along with many other bike parts)

amazing this is 3 pages long.
To clarify, I did not imply my bike or the 15A has LED headlights. What I did imply is the cost to replace the new unit with LED headlights would be well worth protecting with the plastic covers. I do not think 3M film will do you much good if you catch a stone or other object large enough to break a lens.