Location for USB Charger Socket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdman2010

Reaction score
I searched the forums and I could not find an answer to this question. I purchased this socket for my 2015 FJR1300A:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HPSY596

I pulled the cover off the area that surrounds the glove box, but it doesn't seem that the USB socket will fit there. Where is the best place for me to mount this USB charger socket? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Why not mount it in the Dash Panel above the globe box? I found room in there for several switches and an LED driving light controller.

Thanks. I have not pulled the dash off. I was hoping someone could tell me if there was room there before I started tearing it apart. Thanks!

Why not just get a cheap USB charger that plugs into the lighter socket in the glove box?

They are dirt cheap and available anywhere.

61hVeuYpIHL._SL1150_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just get a cheap USB charger that plugs into the lighter socket in the glove box?They are dirt cheap and available anywhere.
That is what I am using now. I close the glove box door on the wire going from the lighter socket up to my smartphone mount. It looks like I am bending my door. I am concerned that the glove box will not be water-tight over time. In addition, I noticed that the wire is being gouged by the door and the vibration while I ride.

I can't quite make out the picture. Is that just below the glovebox (closer to the seat)? I pulled off that panel and I did not see enough room (depth) for the USB charger port. I might look again and take pictures to show you what it looks like for the 2015.

If you want to use the glove box with USB charger posted above, run a (spare) charging cord out the bottom. Split the rubber grommet, insert charging cord and reinstall grommet.
--G
Hmmm... that's a thought. Thanks for the idea.

That picture is of a Gen 2. Very little room in the same location on a Gen 3. I barely fit my LED light switch there and it isn't very big. I put a battery tender cable on the bike and bought a multi socket USB charger that plugs into it and run it into my tank bag.

Actually, I am going to try out a waterproof combination USB charger and voltmeter if I can find a suitable mounting spot. Currently using the glovebox solution. I have a Gen II but someone with a Gen III said (in an off-line discussion) "I mounted the switched version under the "hood" over the speedo with a custom bracket" (Filed off the handlebar mount in the photo.)

This one has a manual on-off switch - good feature for a Voltmeter and for the USB. Don't normally want the voltmeter running with the ignition off but sometimes nice to be able to charge via the USB without turning on the ignition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-12V-Motorcycle-Dual-Port-USB-Charger-LED-Voltmeter-GPS-Positioning/253327739379?hash=item3afb8289f3:m:mRgUxyzhm5gMz_FLkmc34hA

s-l1600.jpg

I use a two port, flathead USB head in the glovebox. The ports stick out the sides, so the cords don’t protrude into the glovebox. It has a blue LED, which makes it easy to see things in the box.

Actually, I am going to try out a waterproof combination USB charger and voltmeter if I can find a suitable mounting spot. Currently using the glovebox solution. I have a Gen II but someone with a Gen III said (in an off-line discussion) "I mounted the switched version under the "hood" over the speedo with a custom bracket" (Filed off the handlebar mount in the photo.)
This one has a manual on-off switch - good feature for a Voltmeter and for the USB. Don't normally want the voltmeter running with the ignition off but sometimes nice to be able to charge via the USB without turning on the ignition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-12V-Motorcycle-Dual-Port-USB-Charger-LED-Voltmeter-GPS-Positioning/253327739379?hash=item3afb8289f3:m:mRgUxyzhm5gMz_FLkmc34hA

I found this one on Amazon with free two day Prime shipping. Thanks for the idea.
exhappysmiley.png

https://www.amazon.com/TurnRaise-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Cigarette/dp/B078K8WBCJ

Lots of us have a Battery Tender-type adapter hard wired to the battery. The connector can work with a heated vest, a Slime pump, a Batter Tender (of course), or whatever. And this gadget, found all over the internet but this one is from the Walmart website for ten bucks, connects to the lead.

Alright, damn it. Tried to post a pic and got that message "you are not allowed to use the blah blah blah." So google "Battery Tender USB Adapter" and see it there.

Here: (I can post the pictures but can't set the size!)

I liked the combination with the voltmeter - I ordered one in RED LED. If it turns out to be crap then I wasted a couple of bucks.

38070231.jpg

Only one channel on the Battery Tender brand but there is a 2 channel knockoff too:

Battery-Tender-USB-Charger-Quick-Disconnect-SAE.jpg_350x350.jpg

I found this one on Amazon with free two day Prime shipping. Thanks for the idea.
exhappysmiley.png

https://www.amazon.com/TurnRaise-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Cigarette/dp/B078K8WBCJ
That's not a bad idea. I've got a "dumb" dual USB socket mounted to my KTM 690 handlebars but it would be nice to be able to switch it off as well as see the voltage readout.

I have that Battery Tender USB charger in the picture above. It plugs right into my heated gear cord. I also have a "Y" for the heated gear cord, so I can use the heated gear and the carger at the same time. It's worked great for me. I run the Iphone charging cable into my tank bag and leave the phone charging in the tank bag while it's "Bluetoothing" music and or GPS into mt Sena unit. Works great for me.