long trip packing ideas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ga.rider

Reaction score
I learned a lot about what to pack and what not too on my 3 week trip out west in august. I had plenty of clothes(too many), tools and camping gear packed in the saddles, top case and a large motofiz bag on the back seat. 2017 my 13 yo daughter wants to go with me. probably a 2 week trip back out west or up to maine. My issue is not having the motofiz with her being in its spot. Any ideas how to load it up for 2 and camping gear? My only idea is to replace the givi with a flat top box and strapping a large bag on top of it. I know I will have to replace the subframe to the rack for more weight. Any other ideas?

Years ago I traded into a bushtec trailer just to flip it for a profit. I made the mistake of building a hitch to try it out and now I always travel with the trailer. You don't know it's there and it gets the weight off the bike so it handles properly. Don't discount it without giving it serious thought.

Just book a hotel with a guest laundry once or twice during your trip. In the last 10 years of long distance riding, I've found that I really don't need all that other crap. I can live out of one side case bag for more than a week. Therefore, one bag per person and the top case for extra gloves, rain gear, etc.

Edit: camping gear, sorry my reading comprehension is apparently weak. I guess you'll need to come up with creative ways to strap that on.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a side note, I just rode with a couple this weekend on a four-day trip. Imagine two-up on a ninja with painfully small textile saddle bags. They made it work.

When I was traveling 2-up, we had invested in some medium size tube style dry bags, and sat those on the tops of the sidecases and strapped them down simply. They almost acted as arm rests for my pillion.

When I was traveling 2-up, we had invested in some medium size tube style dry bags, and sat those on the tops of the sidecases and strapped them down simply. They almost acted as arm rests for my pillion.
I still don't know how you're gonna do it camping 2up, but good luck to you. For my long trips with Louanne, I've had left case me, right case Louanne, top case riding gear for all weather and temps, one dry bag as mentioned above for tools, misc, other dry bag for bathroom kits, tankbag for stuff I want close access to.

Not sure where you put camping gear, but post a photo when you get it figured out.

Hate to say it, but...........two-up camping may require you to trailer the bike. Bring all your stuff, unload the bike and go for long day rides. She's 13, so iron butt style rides are probably not in her wheelhouse yet.

On a packing note, here's one I've used myself. In one of Peter Egan's books, he mentions a great idea about clothing. When you have a t-shirt, socks, or bloomers that are ready for the rag pile (holes in the toes, pits, or nether regions), save them for your trip. At the end of each day, throw them in the fire, or garbage can. Your load gets smaller as your trip goes on.

(One note of caution; do not roast weenies or make s'mores over the campfire if you've tossed your sweaty, day-long-ride undies in the fire pit. Yuck.)

When planning a long trip we find stay a campground/basecamp that will allow us to ship our camping gear to them and then we can stay in motels on the way out and camp comfortably once we are in the general area we want to "shamrock ride"

Many campgrounds now have laundry facilities. Campground we use almost every July 4th does and we"ve certainly made use of it through the years.

I'm in agreement with the consensus. Either:

1. Buy a trailer - seems impractical for a single trip. If she really (REALLY) likes it, then you have more incentive to make that kind of investment.

2. Ship your camping gear (and other gear) to the campground - but where's the adventure in that. You are limited to one location and you have to get there in basically one day.

3. Axe the camping and just motel it. This seems like the most practical idea, albeit the most expensive. You'll still have to do laundry every 3 days or so, but these days, hotels are very accommodating for that.

I'd go with #3

Shipping your gear to a camp ground or camp grounds with a laundry..................That is tooooooo urban to be considered camping.

I'm in agreement with the consensus. Either:
1. Buy a trailer - seems impractical for a single trip. If she really (REALLY) likes it, then you have more incentive to make that kind of investment.

2. Ship your camping gear (and other gear) to the campground - but where's the adventure in that. You are limited to one location and you have to get there in basically one day.

3. Axe the camping and just motel it. This seems like the most practical idea, albeit the most expensive. You'll still have to do laundry every 3 days or so, but these days, hotels are very accommodating for that.

I'd go with #3
We have made the owners of the campgrounds wait for as long as 3 days. If they don't want to hold our gear we find somebody else who will. It's never been a problem.

The clothes wont be a problem. My 3 week trip I didnt uses but a few changes of clothes. I wore gym shorts and thin drytech shirts/socks. I washed them several times in the sink with soap and hung them to dry. Not the best I know but better than nothing. Trailering the bike defeats the while purpose to me. I think I can make it with a flat box and strapping the tent and sleeping bags on top in a dry bag. I have all back packing gear go it packs down small and we wont camp evry night. Maybe 50/50.

I dont but that is a purchase I plan before the trip.

I carried 50-60lbs in my top box on the last 8200 mile trip without issue btw.

I carried 50-60lbs in my top box on the last 8200 mile trip without issue btw.
Which could be the straw that breaks the back on this trip. I would be doing an extremely detailed inspection back yonder well in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember packing compression bags save a lot of space and are cost effective. I have used them on my 10+ day trips. I placed them in the top case and used saddle bags for sleeping bag, camping gear, and riding gear.

Tent and other gear were tied down on rear seat in a water proof bag.