Looing at a 2006 FJR....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USP-45

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have found a 2006 that I am interested in but have a few questions for the initiated.

-It is a 2006 with 36,xxx miles on it.

-It does look pretty good, no scuffs of blemishes that I could see.

-It has the storage bags that go in the saddlebags.

-The tires are Shenko which I am not familiar with. Don't really know if they are good or not, but the are in great shape. Front looks new.

-It does look like it has been out in the sun, the black plastic for the switchgear looks faded.

-It does not have the heated grips.

-Front pads will need to be replaced soon, but have some life left.

-The door to the storage area is broken, it looks like someone forced it open and broke the latch, possibly during what comes next.....

-Someone attempted to steal the bike in 2008, the odometer was replaced and there in a note on the lid of the storage compartment. Would not be suprised if the lid was broken when they attempted to steal the bike.

Other stuff. There is a red momentary switch near the instrument cluster and what looks like a female RCA connector close to it. Would this be for heated clothing? Like I said, I do not see anytype of potentinometer or rheostat, just the momentary switch. It also has blue LED lights which are activated by a remote. I am not a blue LED lights on my bike type of person (no offense to those who are..) so I could care less that they are on it. I took it on a 10 minute test drive and it rode great. Everything semed to work as it should and it felt good. I called a dealer to inquire about recalls and they said the VIN had some recalls done, but not the wiring harness. The dealer did indicate that having the recall done should not be an issue, they just hve to order parts when they figure out if it is a sub assembly or the whole harness. No issue there. The dealer where the bike is at does not have paperwork so I do not know what kind of maintinance has been done, but I am not worried about the miles on an FJR.

The dealer told me that the bike has been there for a minute and that they have a bit over 6k in it. At this point anything I offer over that would be accepted to move the motorcycle.

So is this reasonable? I know what book says, but that really does not mean much in my experience. I would have liked to have had the heated grips, but I assume that they could be added. If anyone has any indication as to what the momentary switch and RCA looking cable go to then I would love to hear it!

I can't guess the value of the bike because prices vary by region and how badly you want it.

I am a little confused about the mileage. You say it has 36k on it, but the odometer has been replaced. I guess the note in the storage box lid indicates the original mileage?

Did you say the odometer was replaced because someone damaged the instrument cluster trying to steal the bike? That doesn't really make sense. The key switch is in the triple tree, not the instrument cluster. You sure the cluster wasn't replaced as part of a recall? Otherwise, maybe it was replaced as the result of a crash?

I have no idea what the switch and RCA jack is for. Can't the seller tell you?

Last edited by a moderator:
The odometer replacement was a recall. I doubt it was a theft attempt. That sticker in the glove box is supposed to be there on all 2006 FJRs(indicating mileage at replacement so you know bikes exact mileage). It was a recall. The other recalls you need are no biggie, just get em done. Sounds like the plugs may be for heated gear. Heated grip add-on is easy and cheap. I think only the 06 AEs got the heated grips standard.

Tires and brake pads are maintenance, not a deal breaker. Offer them $6000.01

I would inquire about the 26k mile service and make sure it was completed. Get a list of all needed recalls. Make that dealer answer your questions and then go buy it! The 2006 is the best looking and fastest of all the FJRs!! :clapping:

The dealer told me that it was replaced due to a theft attempt, I am glad you told me why the cluster was replaced. I am not worried about the tires or maintinance too much, more so the maintinance then the tires for sure. The dealer where the bike is located is not a Yamaha dealer, but the sticker has the name of the dealer who replaced the cluster and they are local. I am going to give them a call to see if they have maintinance records just to see what has been done as I wrote the VIN down.

Unfortunatly the seller does not know a lot about the bike, but I do think that the price is reasonable. I am going to talk to them a bit more about it. I am stationed at Ft. Sill right now and my family is in McKinney Tx which is about a 200 mile drive. Having the FJR would make getting home on the weekends a lot cheaper, I drive a 2011 F-350 diesel. I know buying the motorcyle cost more then fuel, but keeping the miles off of the truck would be great, and it is running me over $100 in diesel each weekend to see the wife and kids. I am not complaining though as at least they are close and the drive is completely worth it. I have been thinking about an FJR for a couple of years, one of my buddies from OCS has an 06 that he loves. Just a lot of good reasons to pick one up!

The cluster was replaced as part of the 2006 17 MPG instantaneous miles per gallon recall. No matter how gently you rode, the maximum, and only, indication would be 17 MPG! Mine cluster was replaced, the sticker applied, then I hit Bambi and took care of the sticker.

Shenko tires are cheap shit tires. Use them up then get quality rubber under your steed for vastly improved handling.

The harness the dealer refers to is actually a sub-harness, not the main enchilada. It's still a PITA to replace and many a dealer has effed up other things while replacing it. Earlier in time, a feller named Brodie offered up a 'fix your woes' harness that many of us used. The key is to find a competent dealer with seasoned technicians and get to know them on a first name and Christmas card basis.

Blue light and other stuff?

Who knows.. I would find out first though.. Nothing worse than having bought a bike with wiring butchered by the previous owner..

My .02

For the faded black plastic, pick up some 303 Aerospace Protectant. It may take a few applications, allowing a few hours in between for it to "soak" in, but that shit is amazing! I use it to clean and protect the dash of my cars too.

Note that the mileage is the SUM of the number on the sticker and the odometer number on the gauge cluster. So this machine could well have a lot more than the mileage you have mentioned - not necessarily a deal-breaker, but you may have in inquire about the 52,000 mile and possibly the 78,000 mile valve adjusts . . . . . . .

Heated grips were standard only on the AE - and they are pretty expensive if you want to add OEM ones.

I wonder if the pushbutton might not be to trigger a garage door opener or something similar - I'm sure that whatever's been added can be removed.

The odometer indicates 30,xxx and the sticker was put on at 5,xxx miles. Total to 36,7xx. I am going to call the dealer who did the odo and see if they did the servicing on the motorcycle. I have read about the Shenko tires. I will leave them on until worn and replace with a good set, I have never skimped on tires before. My son loves the blue LED's..... he is 5. To each their own, thats all I have to say about the lights. I will condiser buying if I can find out some info concerning how the motorcycle was serviced, I have always been very particular about maintinance. Thanks guys

Well, I went ahead and picked it up this morning. I ended up paying $6100 otd with a fresh oil change and new front fork seals so i am happy with the price. First stop was to cyclegear to pick up a shoei rf-1100 as the inside of my 1000 is done, just falling apart. Anyway she rides great and has terrific power compared to my last harley. It should be a great way to get back and forth from Ft Sill to McKinney tx every weekend. So far i have ordered a throttlemeister and sliders. I am eyeing a givi e55 and sr357 mount to make it more travel ready. The only other thing i really want right now is to add some heated grips. Does anyone make heated grips the size of a grip with grip puppies? I had kuryakyn grips on the harley and i liked the size. I know they make heated grips, just don't know if they will work with throttlemeister.

the Shenko tires. I will leave them on until worn and replace with a good set, I have never skimped on tires before.
personally, for the $300, I'd replace them with the Michelin PR2'S or PR3's

those damn tires are just plain dangerous in the wet...I could not begin to be comfortable riding on those new or not...ask if the dealer replaced them to sell the bike cause the old ones were worn or what?

make sure the bike has sliders...order them now and put them on the minute you get home before the next ride

oh, heated grips...google is your friend

google: heated grips site:fjrforum.com

good luck,

Mike in Nawlins'

That "female RCA jack is probably a powerlet outlet. It is used for heated clothing and lots of other things. Go to powerlet.com for all kinds of adapter that can go in there. Cigarette outlet, cell fone charger, gps, you name it.

the Shenko tires. I will leave them on until worn and replace with a good set, I have never skimped on tires before.
personally, for the $300, I'd replace them with the Michelin PR2'S or PR3's

those damn tires are just plain dangerous in the wet...I could not begin to be comfortable riding on those new or not...ask if the dealer replaced them to sell the bike cause the old ones were worn or what?

make sure the bike has sliders...order them now and put them on the minute you get home before the next ride

oh, heated grips...google is your friend

google: heated grips site:fjrforum.com

good luck,

Mike in Nawlins'
I have a set of Shinko Verge 011 on my 2006 FJR and I've been extremely pleased with the performance. I now have 10k miles on them and it appears I'll get a couple more thousand miles before replacing them (with another set of Shinkos) for my upcoming cross-country adventure. I had a chance to try the wet weather performance this past weekend and they handled very well on the wet pavement. I've never felt uncomfortable with these tires even when pushing them to the point of dragging the footpegs. Overall, they are a fantastic value. I can't comment on the quality of the PR2's, but the Shinko's are far superior to my previous Metzler's and Bridgestones and you can't beat the price.

Enjoy the FJR.