Look Ma... no cats!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
100_3046.jpg

100_3048.jpg

100_3047.jpg

Woohoo!! Can't wait to see how they run. It's probably finally about time to get an appointment on the dyno and have a custom map made for my PCIII

yeah, yeah... The previous owner did that. He was apparently a frustrated rice boy. Traded the bike in at one year and 10k miles on a BMW of all things... Told me the FJR was too big and heavy for him. :rolleyes:

Did ya make 'em? If not, what brand are they? Were you able to remove the header bolts without removing the radiator, or did you just kick the bottom out a small amount? The header bolt torque is surprisingly low.

What was the motivation to do this to an otherwise good running motorcycle? :unsure:

Looks just like my Holeshot headers except yours appear to be ceramic coated. Hmmm, I think I saw these in the 'for sale' section recently. Nice! Did you do a weigh reduction comparison? I've wondered a few times how much heavier the stock header is.

edit: Yeah, a custom map is probably a good idea. I don't know why Dale didn't put a crossover tube in the system. Now you actually have two separate exhaust systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Missus Howie has occasionally talked about getting back on a bike. I'm wondering what model Ducati that is in the background? I think she'd be interested.

fredw.jpg

Is this what you would call a cat-stration?

Will be interesting to see what Mr. Dyno has to say about it and if driveability remains good in all RPM ranges.

Is this what you would call a cat-stration?

Will be interesting to see what Mr. Dyno has to say about it and if driveability remains good in all RPM ranges.
I've had the full monty Holeshot system on mine since I bought it from the PO, custom mapped, and it's like butta!

Them there are Holeshots that were previously ceramic coated (silver) by their PO. I scored them in the classified section here.

My objectives were multiple: To begin with, I have not been using the O2 sensor since I installed the PCIII. With no closed loop the cats will eventually get gunked up. Based on my 1/2 hour road test (just completed) I would say that was partially true already. The bike feels much free-er revving than it did yesterday. I can detect no drive-abilty negatives so far.

Any dyno time will be spent optimizing fuel mixtures in the parts of the map that I ride in, not looking for the last little bit of horsepower.

I was also looking to lose some cat emitted heat in mid-summer (not now!) and don't mind that these are considerably lighter. Sorry, didn't think to weigh them before bolting them up.

To install, I drained the coolant and disconnected most of the lower hoses, removed the one lower bolt and tipped the radiator out at the bottom. And yeah, the header bolts are only 14 ft-lbs so easy peasy to get out. All except the worst one. the lower bolt on cyl #3. Can't use a socket because it's too tight under the exhaust tube. Used a regular 8mm Allen key and got 'er dun.

Looks just like my Holeshot headers except yours appear to be ceramic coated. Hmmm, I think I saw these in the 'for sale' section recently. Nice! Did you do a weigh reduction comparison? I've wondered a few times how much heavier the stock header is.

edit: Yeah, a custom map is probably a good idea. I don't know why Dale didn't put a crossover tube in the system. Now you actually have two separate exhaust systems.
If I remember correctly it was only a 2 pound difference between my one sided Muzzy headers and the stock system with cats. I'm not kidding. The stock headers are extremely light. I think it was 8lbs vs 6lbs...

When I had my full system with dual opening airbox dyno'd on my 04 the standard Muzzy map with the 02 connected was nearly flawless on the dyno, done by an experienced tuner.

Having hefted my 4 into 2 Holeshot headers and the OEM one with Cats, I find it hard to believe there is only a 2 pound diff. Maybe my Cats were full of spooge?

I also forgot to mention in my objectives that my OE header had taken a good whack on a speed bump and both the cat chamber and one of the downtubes had flat spots in 'em.

Anyone wanna buy a stock header system cheep? :rolleyes:

Hold on there partner!

There's money in them there cats. I know on cars that are junked they cut the cat's off and get between $50 to $100 bucks for them. You may want to consider your options and see if there is any market value for motorcycle cats. Just thinken.

Dave

Yeah, I was just being facetious about selling them anyway. I usually try to hang onto stock parts like this (and the PAIR plumbing) just in case I ever want to sell it. I can't see that day ever coming right now. As long as this B4 is still running I intend to be the one behind the controls. But these mods are entirely reverse-able. Heaven forbid if a potential buyer happened to live in a state where they take that emissions stuff more seriously, or worse if Cow Hampshire started following the "green" mantra adopted by many other states.

One nice thing about this mod is that you free up the exhaust restriction somewhat, but without increasing the noise level. It would be interesting to hear a set of Trooper Modded stock cans mounted on these headers, but I'm not going there. Bad enough I'm contributing to the air pollution over the Atlantic ocean with my cats-tration (I like that), I don't want to be adding to the Harley din of murdercycle noise pollution.

I like the stealthy approach far better... :assassin:

Please let us know how you like that system.

I still have my stock header laying around I'll weigh it sometime out of curiousity. Overall the FJR has pretty light exhaust system, Gen1 cans are only 8.5lbs each, Gen2 are 10.5lbs....

PS> That's a beautiful virgin footpeg feeler you have :D

Please let us know how you like that system.

I still have my stock header laying around I'll weigh it sometime out of curiousity. Overall the FJR has pretty light exhaust system, Gen1 cans are only 8.5lbs each, Gen2 are 10.5lbs....

PS> That's a beautiful virgin footpeg feeler you have :D
I obviously have the stock header to weigh also. I just forgot to weigh the holeshot header before putting it on.

If I can find a spec somewhere I'll be sure to post it.

PS - If you are looking to date my footpeg feeler you can just forget about it. :p

Actually, if you look real close you can see that it has touched down before. But I'll admit that I'm definitely (obviously) not a regular peg grinder. When it does happen it's when I'm down south, or else it's a total mistake. :eek: If that makes me less of a rider in someone's eyes... well I guess that is their problem. ;)

I don't want to be adding to the Harley din of murdercycle noise pollution...I like the stealthy approach far better...
The town of Hancock will welcome you back to Fiddleheads.
To 'splain what the Professor is talking about...

As we were enjoying our 2PM breakfasts on Sunday at the Fiddleheads Cafe in Hancock, one of the other patrons, a woman of about our own age (which is to say "mature") was leaving the cafe and came back in to ask us about our motorcycles.

Apparently she hadn't realized that we were on bikes when we came in, and probably just thought we liked to dress funny. :huh: She thought that they were beautiful and that they were especially nice because they didn't make such an awful racket as a lot of those other motorcycles. :p

So yeah, we'll still be welcome at Fiddleheads...

To tack on to this story, earlier, while we were getting ready to leave from LA Burdicks, a younger couple in a pickup truck parked next to me walked up and the lady smiled and told me how beautiful our bikes were. She, apparently a woman of superior intellect and taste, told me that she really loved the color of my Bass Bote Blue Beauty. So while the proprietors of Burdick may have been total dick heads, at least their patrons were friendly enough. If we'd had a longer time to chat, I wonder how that couple would have felt knowing that we had just been rejected by the restaurant... <_<

I hope this change from stock form lasts longer than your CT expirement.

Also Fred, did you check the stink factor? Riding behind my buddies that ride non-cat bikes remind me why I choose to be in front during low speed (closer following distances) ride sections. Jes askin...

Regardless, they look sweet.