LOVE my FJR but thinking of adding some "Adventure"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No One

Reaction score
Really love the FJR and not dumping it, just thinking (dreaming) of adding a new bike to the stable... What the wife calls all the bikes.. Anyone have a GS 1200? I'm thinking about maybe a used GS Adv 1200... I know there are a few guys that own both the FJR and the GS 1200.... Can you give us some info on your thoughts on the pro / cons of the GS.... I know its a WHOLE different animal but just some insight would be great. Wanting to do allot more touring as I do with the FJR, but wanting to go back up some fire roads in AR / TENN / CO / Etc and do some good O'l camping and exploring... Not sure I want to take the FJR down some damp/muddy fire roads and cross some water with the bike loaded with camp gear.... good luck picking that up................... LOL

Any info would be awesome ! ! !! HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: what do you guys this of the KTM, here is a post from this forum... https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=124405

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out my crash/dump pictures in my signature line for pictures of one FJR in mud. :huh:

I own a dual sport now and am loving the combination. I have read a lot about the GS series, but no personal experience. So I will defer to people that know more. No matter your choice, best of luck. You have great trails and roads out there just made for fun.

Merry Christmas No One: I own a 2009 BMW F650GS Twin, 1996 BMW R1100GS and an FJR; all great do-all moto machines!

Whenever I go to Europe or New Zealand to ride motorcycles, always rent the R1200GS; perfect for the Alps and Pyrennes.

My GS's have been all over Mexico without a hint of a problem; but again, my FJR also goes "paved" to Mexico all the time.

The R1200GS and Adventure are perfect for fire roads! My lighter GS is perfect for true dirt trails like Copper Canyon, MEX.

You may want to consider renting R1200GS for a weekend and do some fire roads, just to see how bike fits you personally.

If you want to send me an e-mail for a rental location: [email protected] or call my home at 480-917-3863 anytime.

Check out my crash/dump pictures in my signature line for pictures of one FJR in mud. :huh:
I own a dual sport now and am loving the combination. I have read a lot about the GS series, but no personal experience. So I will defer to people that know more. No matter your choice, best of luck. You have great trails and roads out there just made for fun.

Thats JUST what I was thinking in my head... Hope your OK.. Looks like the bike is ok..... What dual do you own? and do you like it ? Thanks for your post!

Merry Christmas No One: I own a 2009 BMW F650GS Twin, 1996 BMW R1100GS and an FJR; all great do-all moto machines!
Whenever I go to Europe or New Zealand to ride motorcycles, always rent the R1200GS; perfect for the Alps and Pyrennes.

My GS's have been all over Mexico without a hint of a problem; but again, my FJR also goes "paved" to Mexico all the time.

The R1200GS and Adventure are perfect for fire roads! My lighter GS is perfect for true dirt trails like Copper Canyon, MEX.

You may want to consider renting R1200GS for a weekend and do some fire roads, just to see how bike fits you personally.

If you want to send me an e-mail for a rental location: [email protected] or call my home at 480-917-3863 anytime.
GREAT... thanks! I will Email you my info and we can go from there... I also spend allot of time over at the https://www.advrider.com/ web site... Do you visit this site? WOW that have some awesome pictures, stories, education (for me)..... LOL Ill shoot ya an Email !

Thats JUST what I was thinking in my head... Hope your OK.. Looks like the bike is ok..... What dual do you own? and do you like it ? Thanks for your post!
I have a KLR650 which is likley one of the least dirt-ready dualsports out there, but perfect for all-around duty, gravel, dirt, fire roads, etc. Without modifications it would take skills to go truly off-road into single-track woods for example. I'm still learning. However, it has more wind protection, comfort and heft which are a plus on the roads/highway getting to and from the hills you mentioned.

The KLR is a sturdy platform with known bugs and fixes for them. Cheap too. But not near the quality (or price) of KTM's, BMW's etc.

If you have any interest in the KLR there is a lot of commentary on ADVrider and also KLRnet. If you look at my threads started there are a couple short ride reports in the hills here on my KLR. But it is a totally different animal than the big Beemer.

I have a KLR650 which is likley one of the least dirt-ready dualsports out there, but perfect for all-around duty, gravel, dirt, fire roads, etc. Without modifications it would take skills to go truly off-road into single-track woods for example. I'm still learning. However, it has more wind protection, comfort and heft which are a plus on the roads/highway getting to and from the hills you mentioned.

The KLR is a sturdy platform with known bugs and fixes for them. Cheap too. But not near the quality (or price) of KTM's, BMW's etc.

If you have any interest in the KLR there is a lot of commentary on ADVrider and also KLRnet. If you look at my threads started there are a couple short ride reports in the hills here on my KLR. But it is a totally different animal than the big Beemer.

I agree with you.... Another good choice for me might be the V-Strom 1000.. As far as money goes this would be the better choice... I really love the GS1200 but the bike is expensive and the parts and service are crazy priced..... I truly want it as what its meant for as a "Swiss army" motor cycle.... I could CARE LESS about the 'huffy-puffy-look-at me BMW rider". I want it for what it can do, on and off road. One just went off Ebay loaded 2008 for a great price......

Do you load up your 650 ? do you have pictures ? Thanks !

My dream bike has been the gs1200 but unfortunately until I am convinced that it has the reliablility of the fjr I am passing on it. I can't see paying that kind of money to buy and ride and not be able to count on it. Sorry, been reading too many post of people stranded on their beeners.

No One: Sounds like you need to decide what you are going to do with your dual sport! If you, per your first post, only want a machine capable of fire roads, then either the V-Strom 1000 or a BMW R1200GS or a KTM Adventure 950 fills the bill.

But, in your 3rd post, you're referencing Adventure Riding as you see it on ADV websites; and this is where KLR or KTM 690 or Honda XR650L come into play. If you don't mind my two cents, start with a used KLR and see if it satisfies your ride needs.

As Shiny says, where the KLR falls on its face is getting down the highway to the off road areas you are seeking out to ride.

Case in point, October of 2007 five of us left Phoenix for Mexico's Copper Canyon. Dave Cooley, Martin Osete, Brian Boles, Marty Reidl and yours truly. Those four were all on BMW GS's, and I was mounted on my 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Mule II".

Long story short, for 3 riding days down to Creel, 1 in Estados Unidos and 2 crossing Sonora and Chihuahua, I only saw the other four at desayuno and at the hotel for la Comida in the evening. The KLR was simply way too road slow to keep up.

Didn't matter to me, even though they offered to wait for me, I've been riding solo into Mexico for over forty years now.

Now, once we descended onto dirt in Copper Canyon, all things once again became equal. The GS's had no real dirt edge.

Now, don't sell the 1995 or 1996 BMW R1100 GS's short; they are great machines. Chuy's R11GS wound up with 154K on it!

Another good choice for me might be the V-Strom 1000.. As far as money goes this would be the better choice... I really love the GS1200 but the bike is expensive and the parts and service are crazy priced..... I truly want it as what its meant for as a "Swiss army" motor cycle.... I could CARE LESS about the 'huffy-puffy-look-at me BMW rider". I want it for what it can do, on and off road. One just went off Ebay loaded 2008 for a great price......Do you load up your 650 ? do you have pictures ? Thanks !
I bought a leftover 2005 V-Strom 1000 in 2006 and rode it for 6000 miles. I recently had an 80 mile test ride on a used 2007 V-Strom 1000 to refresh my memory, and then bought a leftover 2009 R1200GS.

In my opinion, the V-Strom is not as nimble as the GS. Both are heavy bikes for off road, but the GS handles it better, even after careful attention to the V-Strom's set up. I think the V-Strom looks the part, but its been built to a price point, and it may represent an excellent value, but if the price isn't a factor, it comes up short.

I like my FJR AE, but when I ride it after riding the GS, I really feel its weight. Also, my experience is that the FJR is a very noisy cockpit unless you run the windshield up, and I really prefer to ride with the shield low. The GS cockpit seems quieter with the windshield in the low position. I guess I like the low windshield position because when I started riding in 1967 windshields weren't that common, except on things like Harley hogs and Lambretta scooters.

I really like the saddlebags on the GS better than those on my FJR too. I can get more stuff in the GS bags, in part because they have a larger capacity (69 liters vs. 60 liters I think), but also because of their pure rectangular boxlike shape. The GS bags along with the inner bags are the best factory luggage system I've ever experienced. This was another really weak point of the V-Strom. The bags on the V-Strom were an afterthought outboard of the high rise dual exhaust, and the subframe installed to mount the V-Strom bags changed the vibration response of the frame and caused a buzz that irritated the male rider.

To sum it up... The FJR and the R1200GS are both very nice bikes, but also very different. I find the GS to handle better in the twisties, and I find both to be fairly comfortable at 80 mph on the interstate. I wouldn't begin to consider taking the FJR into the mud or gravel, unless I had no choice. The GS is reasonably comfortable in mud or gravel for a 500 pound bikes, which is to say that I would rather have the Supermoto when I find myself on these sorts of surfaces. I had to change both the GS and the FJR factory seats for Sargent seats, but Sargent makes a standard replacement for both bikes, so you don't have to go custom unless you really want to.

Knee bend is more than I like on both bikes. If I could only have one, it would be the GS. Its probably worth noting that I do NO two up touring. I've ridden about 18000 miles a year the last couple of years, but the miles are always spread out over several bikes, so none typically see more than maybe 8000 miles a year. Before I got the FJR, I was typically riding about 12,000 miles a year, so the FJR had a positive effect on my road time. That's gotta be a compliment to the FJR.

You asked for pics of the KLR. Here are some threads I started from getting advice about the KLR/off-road riding to ride reports. Have fun with some light reading:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=118950&hl=

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=119596&hl=

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=119860&hl=

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=119853&hl=

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=119961&hl=

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=124145&hl=

And here is a Copper Canyon trip initaited by Beemerdons with some off-road wisdoms and pictures. It includes discussions on what dualsports would be advantageous in different situations, their limitations and virtues, etc.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=122097

FredW dreams of a light dual sport:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=124199&hl=

I am a newbie to this, but I encourage you to think first of what kind of riding you want to focus on. If you clarify that in your mind, in time, with patience, the bike will find you. By all means spend a lot of time on the adventure and dual sport websites and forums. Soak it in. The wise listen to people who have been there, made the mistakes, and are trying to pass on their knowledge so you may avoid their follies.

YMMV

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=640.0 No One: Here is a typical AZ Beemers BMW Motorcycle Club trip to Mexico's Copper Canyon, ridden on both KLR's and BMW R1200GS's. Both motos do well going to both Urique and Batopilas. In Reply #5, you see Senor Martin Osete, of Hermosillo - Estado Sonora, standing next to Papa Chuy's KLR at the first bridge on the road down into the Canyon over the Rio Urique. Now, this coming November when ShinyPartsUp, Papa Chuy and four others from your FJR Forum ride the length of Copper Canyon to the Sea of Cortez, we will be crossing Rio Urique many, many times without the use of any stinking bridges. This is where the trails need a light KTM or Suzie 650!

In Reply #7, you see the site of future home of Papa Chuy's Cantina. I already offered ShinyPartsUp employment as dish washer and window cleaner, but he arrogantly turned me down. Barb and MEM have signed on as my barmaid and waitress respectively, and dcarver said he would cook in La Cocina. Old Michael has agreed to be the resident bartender and Irish Elf!

https://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/19...100-GS-95961369 Here's a '98 BMW R1100GS with 69K miles on it and perfectly outfitted for Yukon, Alaska, Labrador or riding down to Costa Rica. Like I say, 154K on one of these, con no Problemos; ese!

https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=640.0 No One: Here is a typical AZ Beemers BMW Motorcycle Club trip to Mexico's Copper Canyon, ridden on both KLR's and BMW R1200GS's. Both motos do well going to both Urique and Batopilas. In Reply #5, you see Senor Martin Osete, of Hermosillo - Estado Sonora, standing next to Papa Chuy's KLR at the first bridge on the road down into the Canyon over the Rio Urique. Now, this coming November when ShinyPartsUp, Papa Chuy and four others from your FJR Forum ride the length of Copper Canyon to the Sea of Cortez, we will be crossing Rio Urique many, many times without the use of any stinking bridges. This is where the trails need a light KTM or Suzie 650!
In Reply #7, you see the site of future home of Papa Chuy's Cantina. I already offered ShinyPartsUp employment as dish washer and window cleaner, but he arrogantly turned me down. Barb and MEM have signed on as my barmaid and waitress respectively, and dcarver said he would cook in La Cocina. Old Michael has agreed to be the resident bartender and Irish Elf!
I agreed to be barwench to an Irish elf? was I drunk at the time this deal was struck, Uncle Chuy?

I agreed to be barwench to an Irish elf? was I drunk at the time this deal was struck, Uncle Chuy?
If memory serves me you were in a "happy" time when the deal was done. And remember, sunny Mexico versus snow/ice!!

And since Whiny turned down Papa Chuy's offer of a job at mi Cantina, there's one less OR Weasel to concern yourself with!

If memory serves me you were in a "happy" time when the deal was done. And remember, sunny Mexico versus snow/ice!!

And since Whiny turned down Papa Chuy's offer of a job at mi Cantina, there's one less OR Weasel to concern yourself with!

all I need to know is........................

When do we go??????????????????????????????????? :yahoo:

I'll deal with the Irish elf, in good time *GRIN*

Papa Chuy, Barb will need a bodyguard from all the banditos and impertinent touristas. I don't do windows but I could watch over the place. I promise never to leave Barb's side. Even in her sleep I would be like a guardian angel.

If you say no I will be forced to whine while away my days in the cold drizzle of the Cascade Mountains.

Papa Chuy, Barb will need a bodyguard from all the banditos and impertinent touristas. I don't do windows but I could watch over the place. I promise never to leave Barb's side. Even in her sleep I would be like a guardian angel.
If you say no I will be forced to whine while away my days in the cold drizzle of the Cascade Mountains.
I can see why she needs the protection by looking at her avatar. :eek: :eek:

Hey No One do you have any experience on dirt?

I would go with the KLR. I asked Austin Vincent ( Mondo Enduro) about bikes. He said for real adventure riding he has some basic rules. Less electronics is a good thing. Smaller is better, trading off 50 lbs for 50 less HP he would do anytime, weight is the critical factor on having fun. Watch The Long Way Around and note all the issues with falling due too just plain too big of bikes. The camera guy on a little about 350cc or so had no issues with falling etc.