Metzler Belt Separation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a set of Z6 under for 12.000 km, my front tire has run into it´s final, the rear tire has a 6000 km left.Is this normal for a FJR, the rear is a

B version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got rid of my OEM Metz tires for the sake of trying to get more mileage...I did succeed, but found that the unintended side effect was much better traction w/ my Avons.

It seems that the Wing community has similar problems w/ Metz...

GWRRA Mezt thread...

Been running the Z6 on the FJR with great results, no problems. I have gone thru 3 sets of a mixed Z4 rear / Z4 front on my ST1100 with great performance and no problems.

I usually burn thru a rear every 4k to 5k miles and maybe 6k to 8k on the front.

I have a set of Avons for the FJR's next tire change, since I hear they are so great, I'll see for myself...

6000 miles on a set of Z6s and the only problem I have with them is that they're lasting too long. I usually only get 3500-4000 out of a rear.

6000 HARD miles on my Z6 front. 3k on the rear, and it doesn't look worn at all.
I don't understand at all why those mileage numbers would be considered impressive on a sport touring bike like the FJR. My Concours routinely got at least 10,000 miles on both front and rear using the stock Dunlops that came with the bike. Did plenty of hard cornering, and had no problems with traction at all.

The stock Metz tires that came on my FJR are sacked at both ends after only 5000 miles. Granted, the FJR is much more powerful than the Concours, so I expect a bit more tire wear, but the FJR is also lighter and uses larger tires. Tire wear should not have doubled, especially on the front. Since I'm still new to the FJR, I'm still exploring its capabilities, so I sort of took it easy at first to get used to things and was surprised at the rapid tire wear.

This was my first set of Metz tires, and their wear performance and effect on bike handling did not impress me at all. Major failure issues aside, I'll be trying something else next time around. That's not following the herd, it's following your own common sense. Brand loyalty offers no reward besides a free sticker now and then.

That's the only reason I'm going to try another brand.

I'm having no problems with the Z6's and I'd buy another set if I wasn't so interested to see how the othr brands handle.

Well....except for Avon. I STILL refuse to buy a tire with the "wobble" engineered in at the factory. ;)

I have Z6s on both my FJR and FZ1 and I really like them. A riding buddy put them on his Z1000 of all bikes and couldn't be happier.

I was concerned about this tire after hearing about the problems but after doing some research I could only find a few cases where there was actually a problem and all the other drama about this tire pointed back to these few incidents with the same pics posted over and over. What were the variables involved in the original incidents? It's hard to say.

I would suspect that if there was a widespread defect we would have heard of it by now as someone would be trying to sue the shit out of Metzler.

I will say this though. I was told by the dealer who was told by the Metzler rep that as soon as you get down to the wear bars, (which are a little harder to see on the Z6) you should change the tire ASAP. I've seen this same advice many times from European riders who ride this tire quite a bit. The Z6 is very popular in Europe.

-r

I've got a pair of Z6s on my ZZR1200 with around 4000 miles on them now; minimal treadwear so far, and fantastic traction dry or wet, absolutely no headshake.

Strangely enough, the Z6 is one of the most popular tires for the ZZR (which is just as big and heavy as the FJR, and MORE powerful), and I haven't heard of a single story of tire failures in that community (had never heard of the problem til I came to this board).

Those pictures sure are scary though! :(

Were any of the Metz tire problems traced back to a particular lot number or manufacturing date?

I put a little over 7,000 miles on a set of MEZ4's with no problems and had approximately a third of the tread left.

Recently completed a RT from MN to Glendale, CA on the FJR. Saw quite a few bikes with tires that should have been replaced long before being on a trip. Saw a fair amount of rear tires that were bald in the center, and several sport bikes had rear tires with the cords showing through in a couple of places. When you run a tire down that far, you are just asking for trouble.

Also, after looking at those pics above, I have my own questions.... second tire looks like it was ridden in an enduro. New?  uh...OK. Looks like a LOT of dirt on it. Exactly where was that tire ridden off road? Even new tires don't hold up well to abuse.
second tire is my tire...

'off-road' dirt is from riding the bike up my driveway into my garage AFTER a tow home...

the tire popped a blister at 35 mph, nursed it home at 17 mph til it blew wide open...

might of had 4200 mile and proper pressures...

dana

Okay, Okay, who let the Kawi guy in?  ;)
*lol*

well, my wife has two Yamahas, one of which is an FJR. Does that count? Can I play here? :)
Hello there, fellow Kawasakian :lol:

I also have a Kawi (ZZR-1100, or ZX-11 like you 'mericans call it) and used to have two Yammies, now only one, the FJR. My poor XJR1300 was mercilessly crushed between two cages, two weeks ago tomorrow. *sigh*

Welcome!! Kawi guy. In adddition to the FJR, also own a 96 GPZ 1100. Sort of s spare bike I got a good deal on and kept it at the vacation house til I sold it, now sitting in my garage.Last bike my dad and I bought together before he passed away, so I can't sell it. 6K miles, Jetted, advancer, D205's, Micron pipe, Corbin, new brakes and etc... I REALLY like the ZZR, considered it before the FJR, but didn't like the cheesy bags and their mounting kit and thumbs down to the chain. If they don't let you join here, the neighbors dog gets it (just kidding guys, don't barage me w/animal rights stuff)

After having too many handeling problems from metzlers I switched

over to dunlop d220s front and rear.

Now I have just over 500 miles on those d220s and so far so good.

No more front end wobble and it handles like a dream, rock solid and

sure footed.

I can't wait to see how well they handle after a few thousand miles.

The Venture riders have also sworn off Metzlers after having several tires disintegrate while driving. Cracking, entire chunks of tread separating from the tire carcass, blow outs, etc. I had Metzs on the '89 VR I purchased and it split the rear right down the middle following the rain grooves. No Metzs in my future but I did buy their wheel balancer!

;)

There are no friggin' way a Metzler will ever go on my FJR...
So what does WC and the other LD riders of the IBA use as the tire of choice?
With very few exceptions, most all of us LD types use the Avons.

Front: Avon AV45 ST 120/70ZR-17

Rear: Avon AV46 ST 180/55ZR-17

I don't understand at all why those mileage numbers would be considered impressive on a sport touring bike like the FJR. My Concours routinely got at least 10,000 miles on both front and rear using the stock Dunlops that came with the bike. Did plenty of hard cornering, and had no problems with traction at all.
The stock Metz tires that came on my FJR are sacked at both ends after only 5000 miles. Granted, the FJR is much more powerful than the Concours, so I expect a bit more tire wear, but the FJR is also lighter and uses larger tires. Tire wear should not have doubled, especially on the front. Since I'm still new to the FJR, I'm still exploring its capabilities, so I sort of took it easy at first to get used to things and was surprised at the rapid tire wear.

This was my first set of Metz tires, and their wear performance and effect on bike handling did not impress me at all. Major failure issues aside, I'll be trying something else next time around. That's not following the herd, it's following your own common sense. Brand loyalty offers no reward besides a free sticker now and then.
Yep. The FJR really IS that much harder on tires than the Conk. It's not the weight. It's the power on call at the twist of that right wrist. After all, look at the weight of the GL1500 and the tires usually used on it got 15,000 miles.

While I don't pin the throttle or raise the front tire, it doesn't take much in the way of the loudness control to make a big difference when used enthusiastically.

Compare the torque specs and the PtW ratios of the two.

Well, I tell you how bad I hate my Z4's--I just had a new set put on today. I have run the shit out of the Z4's on there now and just saw no reason to not buy a set for $220 mounted and balanced. I may die tonight because of a "bad metzeler tire", but I doubt it and what's more I aint' gonna worry about it.

Think how many THOUSANDS of Z4's have been put on bikes in the 3 or 4 years(whenever they came out) hell they come OEM on a bunch of bikes (FJR, VFR, etc). Any confirmed deaths yet?

So following the logic of this thread, all Z4's are shit and everything else rules. Got it. Yawn. Now I'm gonna go ride on those "shitty" Z4's. Pray for me.

thanks,

tr

I believe you have missed the point. My '04 had 'Stones, the '05 came with Metz. I replaced the OEMs at 5K. My choice. I tend to take the information here about Metz as advice. Should I choose to run them and have a problem, then onus is on me because I made a decision to use that tire that had been reported as having some problems.

I (me, myself and I) chose to not stay with the Metz tires. I didn't want to be the 1 in 50,000 (or whatever the number) to have a problem. I replaced the 'Stones on the '04 because I didn't like the feel of them. Others love their 020's. So!?!?

Should you have a problem with your tire of choice, there are those here with a long memory who would stand in line to say, "I told you so!" Even that would be in jest because the terror involved is nothing any of us would wish on another rider.