More luggage options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinLewis

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I'm planning for an extensive tour this season and am looking to add some more luggage along with the saddlebags and top case, what are some options available?
I have seen many Harley bikers they have added another bag like this "https://www.vikingbags.com/products/viking-voyage-elite-extra-large-motorcycle-sissy-bar-bag" on top of their tour packs as shown in the link, so I was thinking if there something I can do with my FJR like this.

Please share your thoughts on this.

Don't stick additional load on the topcase. You risk a broken subframe. (Givi SR357 rack helps, but I still would not want to add a bunch of extra weight.)

If you are not riding 2-up, you might want to consider a dry duffel bag across the pillion seat. That is what I use when motorcycle camping. This one is pretty big and does restrict my space a bit, especially with a tank bag as well.

1707918944748.jpeg

Digging that trailer! Now I want to build one!! I use a duffle when traveling, in place of a pillion, works like a back rest. Wish my ride was silver...

Pete-o
Trailer is interesting - haven't seen one like that before.
I have a trailer that I rarely use (and a hitch/wiring harness for the bike). Thinking I'll try to find a buyer for it next spring...
Bike with swivel hitch and you can hardly tell you are pulling anything. An ideal solution if you are riding 2-up and can't use the pillion seat for luggage.
Unsurprisingly, there is a bit of a hit on fuel economy, especially in windy conditions.

1707924506241.jpeg

Trailer is interesting - haven't seen one like that before.
I have a trailer that I rarely use (and a hitch/wiring harness for the bike). Thinking I'll try to find a buyer for it next spring...
Bike with swivel hitch and you can hardly tell you are pulling anything. An ideal solution if you are riding 2-up and can't use the pillion seat for luggage.
Unsurprisingly, there is a bit of a hit on fuel economy, especially in windy conditions.
Many years ago a company called pasq started teasing a trailer that they were trying to build. Every year or so, they would post up some more drawings or sometimes a prototype. I thought they had a neat idea, but were taking a really long time to actually build something. So I got bored last winter and built that trailer in my picture out of a crashed FZ1. Pasq is finally selling their trailers now - they are very expensive.

Don't stick additional load on the topcase. You risk a broken subframe. (Givi SR357 rack helps, but I still would not want to add a bunch of extra weight.

If you are not riding 2-up, you might want to consider a dry duffel bag across the pillion seat. That is what I use when motorcycle camping. This one is pretty big and does restrict my space a bit, especially with a tank bag as well.
+1 on this. The subframe isn't built for ton of weight. I've crammed a bunch of stuff into my V46 sometimes, and it's held up when touring. But, I wouldn't make it a regular thing. The dry bag on the pillion seat is something I've done as well and it's a really good solution. Don't forget to pick up some Rok Straps while you're at it.

Another believer in dry bags here. This is a 60 liter, a little bigger than I'd like but it is loaded with a TON of camping gear. I've downsized because I didn't like it against my back pushing me into the tank.

And don't waste money on motorcycle specific bags, they're twice as costly. This one is made by COR. On Amazon, waterproof, tough and with plenty of tie down loops and straps. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J51RRQE/ref=dp_iou_view_item?ie=UTF8&th=1
loadedforcamping.jpg

Parachute effect? Even with my 52l there is no way that it is catching wind behind me. The top case is shoulder high.

Parachute effect? Even with my 52l there is no way that it is catching wind behind me. The top case is shoulder high.

I'm happy for you & glad you found something that works. But yes, I feel topcase emphasize the wind behind me. Some do and some don't.

I'm not a big guy. I can even see past my shoulders in the mirrors. Plus I likely use a different windshield. I may even sit at a different height and posture. Apples and oranges, my friend. I ride infrequently with a topcase, mostly just when tripping, so yes to me its effects are apparent. I'll use the bag on the seat even when it's mostly empty to minimize them.

Last edited:
I'm happy for you & glad you found something that works. But yes, I feel topcase emphasize the wind behind me. Some do and some don't.

I'm not a big guy. I can even see past my shoulders in the mirrors. Plus I likely use a different windshield. I may even sit at a different height and posture. Apples and oranges, my friend. I ride infrequently with a topcase, mostly just when tripping, so yes to me its effects are apparent. I'll use the bag on the seat even when it's mostly empty to minimize them.
I think it depends on the geometry of the rider, topcase and windshield. I feel a little push from the wind with the topcase but barely noticeable. I always ride with the topcase - place to store spare gloves, cleaning cloths, lunch, beverage and lockable storage to throw stuff like GPS into when stopped. Tank bag works for some of that but isn't secure. I used to ride with side cases all the time as well, but now usually only when I'm going to be away overnight (or longer). The duffle bag on the rear seat eliminates the "backdraft" but reduces rear vision (I need to find one that is smaller or at least less wide).

Hello Everyone,
I'm planning for an extensive tour this season and am looking to add some more luggage along with the saddlebags and top case, what are some options available?
I have seen many Harley bikers they have added another bag like this "https://www.vikingbags.com/products/viking-voyage-elite-extra-large-motorcycle-sissy-bar-bag" on top of their tour packs as shown in the link, so I was thinking if there something I can do with my FJR like this.

Please share your thoughts o

I use the dry bag option. It holds all the odd-ball things like extra shoes, jacket, sleeping bag, tent, you name it. Only drawback was not feeling secure leaving it on the mc when moteling it. I chose the Wolfman brand. Yellow. Never fails. Good Luck.

Attachments

• 20230827_YAMAHA LOADED ON THE ROAD.jpg
    20230827_YAMAHA LOADED ON THE ROAD.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
I mentioned that the dry bag I have is too wide for optimum vision, but the price was right. Semi-hard bottom and reinforced vinyl/polyester upper. 110 Litres for under $50. They also make a 70 Litre version that might be better, depending on your needs. I've had mine for 10 years or so and absolutely waterproof. Same bag goes by different names and a huge variation in pricing from various retailers.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/375031653994?itmmeta=01HPQ0VJ3W3JWX6E3CJ1SFJKAF&hash=item5751a0e66a:g:7IoAAOSwyctlRRk3&itmprp=enc:AQAIAAAA4G4BIGm++4LxLbSUymjvbBOXtY55HdoryNaxe4ThcMaekCOrkBpKpbKM83n5xKb0B7Xg9QviNRInoksI2qsTPOgPYFHW3wjRoxSfkZ5bGMV4NbLRmQGE6pTAksJU3TfqGNSIv+iYTQhWiiUVSzbzHHKj3oV0k2p8dctI7z7Vtb0k+4ouX/pj++WsB0RicWUtaycWOWmqdA73k8TXObYSwucHsN/5d6V/U0ROgBJVG99QAJX3C7wwq0r8znLW8vy4KKgdtws0gqqLIbI60eKsRj+J0KjiU5gluhrbuW2NZmJq|tkp:Bk9SR_6h7uC1Yw

Smaller
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/285047469471

Hello Everyone,

Please share your thoughts on this.
I've done my fair share of camping/touring on the FJR. These trips to Omaha from California are always known camp sites on graded dirt roads or KOA.
Gear is dispersed as follows:

- camping gear in 20gal project box as top box
- Yamaha saddlebags store riding gear (hot, cold, rain, gloves, wraps)
- large duffel bag sits Screenshot_20240215-112025_kindlephoto-610073.pngon passenger seat and contains clothing/personal items

That setup seems to cover most things I've ever needed for touring.
Safe Travels!

I ride with a rear topcase about 20% of the time when necessary.

Do I feel the weight back there? You betcha!

Do I feel the topcase back there in crosswinds and interstate turbulence? You betcha!

Is that buffeting by wind effect reduced when there is something filling the void between rider (me) and topcase like a big drybag or passenger? You betcha!

Are all these effects big? Nope! But I still prefer no topcase unless I need it.