My Impressions of the MV Motorrad Bar Riser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say,

I just purchased the MV Motorrad plate for my 14 FJR. Arrived quickly but the installation instructions are all in German. I thought I read on this forum that they supplied the installation instructions in English as well? Does any one out there have the instructions in English they could PDF me? Thanks very much!

Shoot them an email. I bet you get a copy quick. Finished up moving to the new house this past weekend. In the process I tossed out my box and instructions. But they weren't for your version anyway, sorry.

Can't find my English instructions. Probably threw them out after installation. Kept the German instructions because, well, they're in Deutsch.

gixxerjasen is right, though: send them an email and you'll probably get a PDF English instruction sheet back in less than 24 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, check the early pages of this thread. There's some excellent pictures of the install and pictures of instructions. Looks like MV is having trouble with their website right now as I can't access the site or the pdf downloads posted earlier. The pics will be different from your bike but should get you going. Post up where you are stuck and I bet we can help too.

Still considering risers on the Feejer. I have the bars moved back, big whoop, a whopping 11mm, and trying to get into the Yoda position. Can do it for short rides, but yesterday went for a longish ride, ok, only 190 miles, but long enough to know I'm still thinking about risers. On the ride, I saw a guy sitting bolt-upright on a Kawi Concourse 14, I mean straight up. At the next stop, I checked out the bike. That guy had the biggest riser plate, and extended bars, with rotary knuckles for adjustments, that I'd ever seen, so I asked the guy. they were Helibars, with special order add-ons. 800 bucks, plus installation. all the hoses and cables had to be lengthened or replaced. $1000.00 all in. The guy said it was worth every penny. Got me to thinking. Back in the day, I was a pretty darn good metal fabricator, before I made the jump to the office. My BIL has a pretty complete machine shop, and what he doesn't have he knows someone who will. I wonder if I could make a set of bars. Has anyone attempted this before?

I'd think fabricating the bar risers would be doable, and if you get something that works, let us know.

My experience was like yours, FJRRYDER: how to salvage the big pile of money I spent on this bike that I can't ride comfortably for more than 90 minutes? It is nothing short of amazing what a difference is made by an inch or two up and an inch or two back.

I now ride like Master Yoda himself for a continuous 5 to 6 hours, mostly upright. Then the stock seat starts bruising my tender butt, and I start twerking like Miley Cyrus.

Arrived quickly but the installation instructions are all in German. I thought I read on this forum that they supplied the installation instructions in English as well? Does any one out there have the instructions in English they could PDF me? Thanks very much!
The risers came with a bucket load of documentation (in German), mostly legalese to satisfy EU requirements as they're seriously fussy about what you can attach to your vehicle. But there were several English language installation pages as well, which they may have inadvertently omitted in your shipment.
Before I bought them, I asked to be emailed the English installation instructions, which they were happy to do. They were a crude translation of the original German ones, and so the narrative was wanting in some areas (like in meaning
smile.png
), but a study of the photos was quite instructive, and it gave you the sequencing. If you still need this, shoot me a PM with your email address, and I'll send them to you.

Arrived quickly but the installation instructions are all in German. I thought I read on this forum that they supplied the installation instructions in English as well? Does any one out there have the instructions in English they could PDF me? Thanks very much!
The risers came with a bucket load of documentation (in German), mostly legalese to satisfy EU requirements as they're seriously fussy about what you can attach to your vehicle. But there were several English language installation pages as well, which they may have inadvertently omitted them in your shipment.

Before I bought them, I asked to be emailed the English installation instructions, which they were happy to do. They were a crude translation of the original German ones, and so the narrative was wanting in some areas (like in meaning
smile.png
), but a study of the photos was quite instructive, and it gave you the sequencing. If you still need this, shoot me a PM with your email address, and I'll send them to you.
NightShine,

That would be great if you would email me that information! I will PM you my email address. Much thanks!!!!

I have had a set on my Gen III for over a year now. Initially I had the bars as far back as possible. Last month I changed them while I was doing steering head bearing check, moved bars forward or out. Like this position even better as the wrist angle suites me much better. I figured out the tapes nuts trick on my own, always good to tape your nuts, it is the untaping that can be unpleasant. No waxing for me! JSNS!

You guys and your easy methods. You miss out on all the fun of performing a cavity search on your motorcycle for a missing nut.
biggrin.png

You know that feeling, when the nut drops and you wait for the sound of it hitting the floor and all you get is silence. Sigh.

gixxerjasen posted: You guys and your easy methods. You miss out on all the fun of performing a cavity search on your motorcycle for a missing nut.
biggrin.png

You know that feeling, when the nut drops and you wait for the sound of it hitting the floor and all you get is silence. Sigh.
... and next time you ride, there's something rattling down deep in the fairing. That's when you head for the street with all the speed bumps.

It seems it's relatively cheap and easy to raise the bars on a Gen II, but to bring them back an inch or so, not so easy, or cheap.

Still considering risers on the Feejer. I have the bars moved back, big whoop, a whopping 11mm, and trying to get into the Yoda position. Can do it for short rides, but yesterday went for a longish ride, ok, only 190 miles, but long enough to know I'm still thinking about risers. On the ride, I saw a guy sitting bolt-upright on a Kawi Concourse 14, I mean straight up. At the next stop, I checked out the bike. That guy had the biggest riser plate, and extended bars, with rotary knuckles for adjustments, that I'd ever seen, so I asked the guy. they were Helibars, with special order add-ons. 800 bucks, plus installation. all the hoses and cables had to be lengthened or replaced. $1000.00 all in. The guy said it was worth every penny. Got me to thinking. Back in the day, I was a pretty darn good metal fabricator, before I made the jump to the office. My BIL has a pretty complete machine shop, and what he doesn't have he knows someone who will. I wonder if I could make a set of bars. Has anyone attempted this before?
The fjclub had a set of bars and brackets fabricated but only for Gen1s, you can see the details here, unfortunately they haven't provided a picture......

There is a picture in the club catalogue, so if you are interested I'm sure the guys at the club would be happy to send you a pic

I just got back on a 2013 FJR and am considering the MV risers. Most of this thread is fairly old, so: what's the easiest or preferred current way to buy them? I'm also wondering about the current cost.

Thanks for any info.

Yep, order direct from the company. As I posted in July, mine was in my hands two days after ordering shipped from Germany to Texas.

When I read to expect to pay around $220.00 I was like "damn, I don't remember paying that much" so I looked up my purchase in the Summer of 2013 and I actually paid $250.00 "Damn"!