My next farkle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
The wife gave me the Okeedokee on a new LD seat. I missed out on Russel group buy, so I looked into Bill Mayer's Saddle. Spoke with Susan who is willing to work a great seasonal deal. Will be taking pics and filling out the application this weekend. Then its just sending my seat in the next week or two and waiting to maybe the middle of January (Holiday season in all).

Thank you Bill Mayer for working with me!

Any thoughts or suggestions I should include on making a new dual vinyl saddle? I'm choosing to go preferated top. Any thoughts?

Sport

Last edited by a moderator:
Sport,

When I had my drivers seat fitted to me I had them add the heated seat option. He offered 2 types, just the pad with wires threaded through the seat pan, or the pad with a high/low switch added to the side of the seat. I opted not to get the high /low switch. I ended up controlling the heated seat with a HeatTroller instead. Glad I did, it doesn't take much on-time to keep me warm and the balance of the cycle time draws zero amps from the battery.

I also suggest you send the passenger seat in to have a matching cover installed.

Brodie

Sport,I also suggest you send the passenger seat in to have a matching cover installed.

Brodie

Brodie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going a step further and having the pillion seat fitted for my wife as well. At present she doesn't ride with me much (for an hour or so a couple of times a year), but I'm hoping to slowly change that.

With regards to the heated version. Naw, not interested in heated arse. I've never noticed coldness coming from the seat, only the fingers and toes. The only heat I'll be getting are in the form of gloves and socks.

Thanks again.

Sport

I love my Bill Mayer saddle. After two tries with Rick Mayer and his saddle still not cutting it, I followed twowheelnut's strong recommendation to try Bill Mayer and have been happy ever since. I ended up getting the leather, but either way, I think you'll be very happy.

+1 on the Bill Mayer saddle. I rode in to get mine (I only live 3 hours away) and they did a nice job. I got the basketweave vinyl on the front seat and had the pillion recovered only.

After a couple of thousand miles, I'm very happy with the seat.

+1 on the Bill Mayer saddle. I rode in to get mine (I only live 3 hours away) and they did a nice job. I got the basketweave vinyl on the front seat and had the pillion recovered only.

Foxhuntr,

I too am looking at the basket weave, but was told that it may soak up more water as it breathes. WHat are your thoughts? I am not a fair weather rider and ride year round in Central PA. There have been a few times (though I tryu not to) that the bike has SAT in the rain for several hours and a lot of times that I have ridden in rain. Should this type of riding preclude me from a Basket Weave vinyl top?

Foxhuntr,

I too am looking at the basket weave, but was told that it may soak up more water as it breathes. WHat are your thoughts? I am not a fair weather rider and ride year round in Central PA. There have been a few times (though I tryu not to) that the bike has SAT in the rain for several hours and a lot of times that I have ridden in rain. Should this type of riding preclude me from a Basket Weave vinyl top?
I rode in to get mine also. I got the basket weave on the front and had the pillion covered with solid. My wife won't ride with me so no need for a custom seat for her.. Maybe when I get the Goldwing... Living in sunny CA, rain is not usually a problem. Fog, dew is, however, on winter mornings. I solved that problem by keeping it covered which keeps the seat dry. The basket weave is "cool" for those toasty Central valley days. Much improved ride over the factory..Also an inch shorter, for this inseam challenged senior citizen.

Too bad you can't ride down and get it done while you wait. It's a great experience, with really nice people to deal with.

LC

BMS leather is the way to go. I have the heat, but haven't hooked it up yet. Waiting to get a fuse box.

I also went with the Bill Mayer seat in leather with heat for front and rear. I went with the hi/low switch on the seat. It is almost too hot and I have it running to a Blue Sea so the seat is only on when the bike is on. The high/low switch works for me but the switch is in a spot where the rear seat covers it a little and low is easy to select but high is next to impossible and because of the overlay of the rear seat being on top of it my passengers legs have accident;y turned the heated seat off. The heat takes lots of amps so if you do it consider a Datel voltmeter. As a side note, I do use the conditioner on my seat but for the most part do nothing else to it. I guess what I am trying to say it these are really good quality seats and can take all of the abuse you can send it.

Thank you all for your input.

I have a build date of next Monday (01/05/09) and am sending the seat out today.

+1 on the BMS. Just wish I had done it sooner! So far I have gone 15 hrs (about 880 miles) in one day and my arse is fine. I went with the dual basketweave vinyl. I believe they use marine grade vinyl so you don't have to worry about rain on the saddle ever!

Got home from work and guess what was waiting for me...You got it! My Bill Mayer Saddle.

First impressions...Professional finish and workmanship.

I went with the weave top for breathability and slipness (if that's a word). It was noticed right away that my short sightedness failed to plan, nor take pics of the Givi frame/box attached before sending the seat in. As such, the pillion seat is a bit tight against the Givi tube frame, but it fits all the same.

The seat does seam a bit higher than stock, but the heals still touch while seated. There is a noticable increase in comfort when first seated as it seems to cradle your arse. I'll be able to add more info in the coming days/weeks and provide a more informed evaluation. In short, I'd like to thank Everyone at Bill Mayer Saddle for the discount, PR, and a job well done.

Got home from work and guess what was waiting for me...You got it! My Bill Mayer Saddle.
First impressions...Professional finish and workmanship.

Got a go for now...I'll edit this later.
I'm interested in how you like Bill's saddle. I tried Rick Mayer with my old 04 FJR and didn't think it was much of an improvement even after sending it back twice for adjustments. I told myself I wouldn't buy a custom seat again unless I could do a ride in, but you might change my mind. Let us know how you like it.

GP

Went out for about an hour this morning. Bit nippy here at 11F with a -3F windchill factor. Nevertheless, the seat was soothing. As a request, the seat does slide me forward up to the tank, but when I sit back, the seat pocket is incredably comfy. Now I need to put some hard miles to get her broke in and see/feel how my arse feels after a 500+ mile day.

Laida

Sport

Got mine back on Friday also, but there is not way in hell I am going out for a rider when it is this darn cold in Michigan, but it sure is a work of art. I also got the basket weave on mine. I am going to be adding a Givi this winter also.

Finally had a chance to put several hundred miles on my arse between yesterday and today. In short, the Bill Mayer seat ROCKS!

It wasn't until after I arrived to my destination that I began to realize that my butt was NOT sore! In addition, reflecting back on the journey it became apparant that a need to shift the butt around occasionally was no longer necsessary. The Bill Mayer seat IS the way to go!

More to follow

Finally had a chance to put several hundred miles on my arse between yesterday and today. In short, the Bill Mayer seat ROCKS!
It wasn't until after I arrived to my destination that I began to realize that my butt was NOT sore! In addition, reflecting back on the journey it became apparant that a need to shift the butt around occasionally was no longer necsessary. The Bill Mayer seat IS the way to go!

More to follow
I know what you mean. I put about 350 miles on today and nothing.

Latest posts