Need help to stop farkle mania :)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I second that.....especially on a sportbike. When I had my CBR600RR, stopping at a red-light during the summer was about the most miserable I've ever been on a bike.

Side note: I see your Airborne Ranger status down there. When were you in? I was 1ID from '02-'05 and 4ID from '05-'07."

1973 - 2000, 1ID 88-91 including Iraq

Last edited by a moderator:
I stop the itch by asking my self

1) Do i need this or do i want this

2) How does help me enjoy riding more?

3) Value vs cost

That thinking has limited my farkling to:

-new seats

-A big trunk

-Power distribution and some exra sockets (2 DIN and one coax)

-Sliders

-Highway pegs

-FOBO TPMS

-Risers

-Higher Windshield (OEM)

slowly turning my FJR to a Goldwing but whatever

slowly turning my FJR to a Goldwing

You'll need to buy a set of these and tuck them in the saddlebags. ;)

41KyqX2V6BL.jpg

Awesome man. It's always great to meet another BigRedOne brother. I don't suppose you'll be doing much riding this winter....way up there in the tundra. I've always wanted to visit and spend some time in MT. I hear it's amazing out there. I'm a little jealous....but I'd hate to have to give up my winter riding
cold.gif
Cheers!

A few years ago I was recovering from an accident. I had a Buell XB12Ss that I'd done everything non-major that you could do to it. But, parts availability had started to shrink, and I decided that the time was ripe to part with it. This left an empty space in the garage. Well, two, as I'd sold the bike I stacked. So, I got garage space, couch time, and rolling into winter. Pretty much critical mass. Found a bike (that I couldn't ride). Put together a shopping list of "gotta haves." I had the two boxes (air ship from Italy) sitting in the living room before I picked the bike up. Hadda have help getting it on and off the trailer and into the garage. I was still in a sling when I started turning small wrenches on some of the bits.

Yeah, it's a disease.

HA! I'm unaware of any 12 step program for the disease, and this is a crowd of enablers rather than abstinance counselors. But for me, it's easy:

I've always seen street riding as skiing on pavement (similar lean angles, lateral traction management, speed and control thrills, etc.). I live at 3,000' elevation, where the snow seldom sticks more than a couple days, and about an hour away from great skiing. For me, it's a mix of sports that helps fend off cabin fever and farkle-itis (skiing since 2, motorcycles since 13, golf since 23). So, in the summer, it's golf and motorcycling that sooths my skiing jones, and in the winter it's skiing that sooths my motorcycle jones (though cold turkey withdrawals are kept at bay by golfing and motorcycling on the nicer days here below the snow line).

Today, it's raining, so I'll need to procrastinate creatively if I'm to avoid doing some of the shit I should get done. Hmmmmm - wax skis, regrip golf clubs, read FJRforum OR clean the house and finish refurbishing pellet stove for the downstairs?

That thinking has limited my farkling to:-new seats

-A big trunk

-Sliders

-Highway pegs

-FOBO TPMS

-Risers

-Higher Windshield (OEM)

This is the exact list that I've whittled my farkle desires down to, lol. And THAT's what these bikes are for!! That's what my fully farkled dream looks like, anyway.

The most effective way to control farklitis is to have your wife control the purse-strings.

You think the Moto Farkle bug is bad, my wife rides horses. Take a look at one of those catalogs. :nono:

That thinking has limited my farkling to:
-new seats
-A big trunk
-Sliders
-Highway pegs
-FOBO TPMS
-Risers
-Higher Windshield (OEM)

This is the exact list that I've whittled my farkle desires down to, lol. And THAT's what these bikes are for!! That's what my fully farkled dream looks like, anyway.

While that list is all good stuff, it's far too short. What about:

GPS capable of doing complex routing.

Rambone to mount the GPS in a convenient spot.

Intercom of some type to talk to passengers and other riders and hear your GPS instructions

Radar Detector to keep from talking to HotRodzilla's peers.

BigFoot to keep your bike from napping on the hot asphalt.

Snakeskin tank protection set to keep your new ride shiny.

RealTime Industries reflective bag stickers to keep cars from running you over at night

LIN3 and 3rd Brake Light Flasher to keep cars and trucks from running you over at stop lights during the day

FZ1 Mirrors so you can see the cage driver coming up behind you before he runs you over.

Bright LED Aux Lights so cage drivers will see you better and maybe not turn left in front of you.

Heated Gear (jacket liner and gloves) for those cool mountain passes, and late season rides.

Gore Tex riding jacket, pants and boots so you don't have to stop to put rain gear on.

...and the list just goes on and on.

There's stuff I've done that I don't remember doing. But out of shield, seat, peg lowers, bar risers (heli), techspec tank pads, RTI bag reflectors, FOBO TPMS, Nolan N-Com B5, ram mounts, admore light bar, Kisan switchable modulator, SR357/E55/V47, R&G sliders, bigfoot, T-Rex bag guards, and givi tankloc bag and ring, I'd do it all over except for the tank pads.

It's not possible. Give up.

I just bought a passenger peg mount hydration system on the Facebook FJR group. And found myself bidding on a blue Smuggler that Garauld was going to paint black for me. (thank god I lost that auction).

Come to think of it, that might fix it for you. Only buy on Ebay, and only make lowball bids. You won't win anything, and if you do, it'll be a bargain.

You think you have it bad? I recently calculated that over the years I've spent somewhere around $28,000 farkling my airplane.
coolsmiley03.png

But it's perfect now, except maybe I should ...

Last two new bikes I bought the wife says "you going to sell any bikes"?

No, i didn't even think about it.

One time she said, "you think you could leave this one alone".

No answer.

If you think you are addicted to FARKLING you may need to seek therapy at your local fitness club. Get in shape and then off set that with moderate consumption of fine craft brewed beer. After you acquire a taste for good beer you can try home brewing over the winter. Adding a lot of stuff to the bike that has no practical benefit is a waste of your time and money.

You asked for advice, now get on with it.

aikido.gif