NERDS 2016 "Daks and-over gang"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more I think about this, the closer I get. I'll be halfway there in Montrose till July 31, after all, got a sister in Buffalo I could stop and see on the way, more relatives around Syracuse to sponge off visit after this meet, getting a nice comfy (I hope) new Laam seat Friday, I'm retired--what's stopping me? Might just be seeing you NERDS in August.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do make the trip, I sure hope that you can arrive early enough in the week to meet you, and shake your hand , Mike (after all these years of virtual friendship). As I mentioned earlier I will need to hustle off to my daughter's wedding on Thursday sometime that week.

Either way, I know it will be a time that you will not regret making the effort for. It's a great bunch of people that turn out for these.

I rode Ensign Pond Road about a month ago, and they were doing a lot of road work on it. I'm not sure if they we just fixing potholes and drainage or if they were planning on repaving the whole thing. I will try to get up there before NERDS to check the condition. If anyone else is in the area, please check it out and let us know.

I went along with a couple of friends to Americade this year and we took a day ride up to Lake Placid. On the way back as we passed under the Northway I saw the sign for Tracy Rd beaming ahead but I knew it held no interest for those two iron machines in front of me.
no2.gif
Riding past it was almost in slow motion.
cry.gif
Mike; I know the feeling. Most of my buddies have Iron Horses and would have little to no interest in the Tracey either. When I ride with them, I always ask myself "is this really riding?" anywho, hope to see you at NERDS!
smile.png

The more I think about this, the closer I get. I'll be halfway there in Montrose till July 31, after all, got a sister in Buffalo I could stop and see on the way, more relatives around Syracuse to sponge off visit after this meet, getting a nice comfy (I hope) new Laam seat Friday, I'm retired--what's stopping me? Might just be seeing you NERDS in August.
Mike; Buffalo is perfect! You could actually ride over (with Wine Guy, Madmudder) to do the Finger Lakes Kickoff with us Weds nite! and... you can sponge off me bro, anyone making that jaunt has the green light with me!

---------------------------------------------------------------

ITINERARY UPDATE

Here is my ride-in map, I altered the Finger Lakes part to include the Hilltop Restaurant for breakfast. Really delish and quite reasonable!

I also made this within Basecamp, so anyone wanting the .gpx file?

KSU from my house will be 7:30 AM, Breakfast at the Hilltop is 45min onroute

After breakfast, we will have a Kodak moment/stop (just for Mike the Wine Guy!) in Skaneateles NY. pronounced: Skinny-at-liss. One quaint and kewl ass town!

ontarionorth_4665.jpg

233982_l.jpg

Leg stretcher and another Kodak moment in Old Forge. I'll stop right next to the covered bridge and lake.

After_Fowlersville.jpg

1PM LUNCH

TaleO'thePup BBQ. It's outdoors with covered eating area's. We did this for Art's Dak's ride about 4 years ago.

>So far; Meeting/Joining up with Dave (On2) here!

top2.JPG

thumb_600.jpg

Pretty much a go, unless the in-crowd desires sum-tin different?

-KJ

I went along with a couple of friends to Americade this year and we took a day ride up to Lake Placid. On the way back as we passed under the Northway I saw the sign for Tracy Rd beaming ahead but I knew it held no interest for those two iron machines in front of me.
no2.gif
Riding past it was almost in slow motion.
cry.gif
Mike; I know the feeling. Most of my buddies have Iron Horses and would have little to no interest in the Tracey either. When I ride with them, I always ask myself "is this really riding?" anywho, hope to see you at NERDS!
smile.png

Mike; Buffalo is perfect! You could actually ride over (with Wine Guy, Madmudder) to do the Finger Lakes Kickoff with us Weds nite! and... you can sponge off me bro, anyone making that jaunt has the green light with me!

ITINERARY UPDATE

Here is my ride-in map, I altered the Finger Lakes part to include the Hilltop Restaurant for breakfast. Really delish and quite reasonable!

I also made this within Basecamp, so anyone wanting the .gpx file?

KSU from my house will be 7:30 AM, Breakfast at the Hilltop is 45min onroute

After breakfast, we will have a Kodak moment/stop (just for Mike the Wine Guy!) in Skaneateles NY. pronounced: Skinny-at-liss. One quaint and kewl ass town!

ontarionorth_4665.jpg

233982_l.jpg

Leg stretcher and another Kodak moment in Old Forge. I'll stop right next to the covered bridge and lake.

After_Fowlersville.jpg

1PM LUNCH

TaleO'thePup BBQ. It's outdoors with covered eating area's. We did this for Art's Dak's ride about 4 years ago.

top2.JPG

thumb_600.jpg

Pretty much a go, unless the in-crowd desires sum-tin different?

-KJ
Ate at tail of the pup once, great food!

1PM LUNCHTaleO'thePup BBQ. It's outdoors with covered eating area's. We did this for Art's Dak's ride about 4 years ago.

top2.JPG
Ah - I didn't put 2 & 2 together until I saw your pic. Neat place from what I remember.

My prior map still had the Redneck BBQ as our meeting / lunch place. Neither one is a bad choice btw, I just thought the outdoor ambiance here to be the winner winner, bbq dinner.

Map now updated to "Tail O' the pup" BBQ

Menu here for you real pre-planners

I just stumbled upon this bike article talking about Rte 73 in which I already have included in our "Daks and over gang" ride-in (albeit in reverse of what these bikers did).

There's no doubt that the 'dacks will leave a very memorable impression w you, and if NERDS comes again next year (well, so Fred can be in it this time!), I will likely include the 'dacks once again. So don't fret if ya can't make it this time around!

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

As a very scenic sidebar, we could chose to ride up Whiteface Mountain. Bad news here, it's $15/bike. I haven't been up there in a few years, but I do remember an elevator ride up a tower to get to the very top (almost castle like) with simply unbelievable views. If it weren't for the road/admission, this would automatically be in our Adirondack tour, but I guess?.... we can discuss over our lunch if you guys would like this Kodak moment....

vmh.jpg

highway1_3.jpg

Thanks for the effort on the route and sights KJ. I think I'd rather do a couple laps on the Tracey Rd... looking forward to that! Tail 'o the Pup is a place I've been meaning to go to for years, see you there!

David.

As a very scenic sidebar, we could chose to ride up Whiteface Mountain. Bad news here, it's $15/bike. I haven't been up there in a few years, but I do remember an elevator ride up a tower to get to the very top (almost castle like) with simply unbelievable views. If it weren't for the road/admission, this would automatically be in our Adirondack tour, but I guess?.... we can discuss over our lunch if you guys would like this Kodak moment....

vmh.jpg
On the Beemerdons' great "Extreme Alps Tour" that some of us lucky fellers did 3 or 4 years ago, we rode many wonderful roads and went up and down some incredible mountains. So it was kind of a rude shock when we came to the toll booth on one (but not the best) of those mountain passes--in Germany, I think, and found that each moto had to pay something like $35 U.S. Automobiles, IIRC, had to pay over $50! (Anybody here from that bunch remember the name of that road?) That was the only toll we had anywhere, including the amazing Stelvio Pass and the Grossglockner, probably the two best of many fantastic rides. The worst part was there was no real alternative, except to turn around and figure out another way around the mountain.
angry01.gif
Maybe $15 isn't all that bad?

BTW, that doughnut-shaped lake in the background is Lake Placid, not the pretty lake just abutting the town of Lake Placid.

Mirror Lake is the name of the water body the town of Lake Placid is on. It is an extension of, though not directly connected to, the bigger Lake Placid. Just to be consistent, the town of Saranac Lake is near, but not on Saranac Lake either. Tupper Lake is on Tupper Lake, but it isn't much of a town, or much of a lake for that matter. Those crazy Adirondack New Yorkers!

As for mountain auto roads in New England (which, much to their dismay, Upstate NY is not part of), most summit roads do have tolls. The Pass, Gap, and Notch roads are all free .

Mt Washington, the most prominent mountain east of the Mississippi river, is $17 for bike and rider, plus $9 per passenger, and cars are $29 for car and driver plus $9 per passenger to use the summit auto road.

Mt Mansfield near Stowe is the tallest mountain in Vermont, and the toll road to the top charges $22 for car and driver and $7 for each passenger, but they do not allow motorcycles
angry01.gif
which is why you never hear us talking about it in conjunction with NERDS. We should sic the AMA on their commie butts!

Mt Equinox, down south near Manchester, VT, has Skyline Drive where the toll is $12 for bike and driver, no passenger fee.

Mt Ascutney has an auto road to the summit through the State Park, so you can ride up for the $4 per person park entry fee.

The only free mountain summit drives that I am aware of in the area are Mt. Greylock near North Adams, MA (a very fun MC ride up and down, especially on a weekday) and little Mount Agamenticus just outside of York Maine. You can also sneak up on top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia NP in Maine for free (we often do), but you are supposed to have a National Park pass.

When you grow up you can get the Geezer Pass for a one time fee. I got mine on the way to EOM 05

The only free mountain summit drives that I am aware of in the area are Mt. Greylock near North Adams, MA (a very fun MC ride up and down, especially on a weekday)
The ride up and over Mt. Greylock won't cost you anything, but if you want to park and enjoy the view, check out the monument or visit the Lodge, be prepared to get your wallet out.

Ha ha yeah, but it's voluntary! I've been up there a number of times and haven't felt the need to donate to the state yet. The monument has been under repair for the past couple of years, so you can't go up into it anyway, and I've never felt a desire to go into the Lodge. Figured it was just a gift shop money grab.

It's pretty low key on weekdays, and I've parked right in front of the monument for photo ops and a quick look around before riding back down the other way. Last time, when bbdig and I were up there this spring, they did shoo us out of there. But we were just there for the ride up and down anyway.
bike.gif

Soooooo...... let's just say, for the sake of argument, I made a reservation at a certain hotel in Stowe. And let's say I get approval for time off at work (actually re-approval, because I already had the time off, but cancelled it.)

Let's also say the real boss doesn't give me a hard time about taking a long weekend on the motorcycle without her (her new job started today).

Would there be a place for me to lay my head Wednesday night without packing a tent?