New boots for Christmas...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
So, it is appearing that I'm getting new boots for Christmas. I think that this time around I have decided to try a pair of tactical style boots as opposed to the ill fitting motorcycle boots (Oxtar Matrix that only closes by the velcro. Will not zipper) that I've had or tried on up to this point. The ones that I'm looking at are the Danner men's Striker II Gore Tex Tactical boot. https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24435326&cp=4406646.4413987.4417989.52416826. I picked these because they are fully leather & Gore Tex, of course.

I have large ankles & calves despite not being terribly overweight & finding boots... men or woman's... has been a real issue for me. As a last resort at dedicated motorcycle boots, I tried the Aerostich Combat Touring Lights a few months back. They appeared to have a lot of adjustability. It was a no-go & I once again had to eat the return shipping for those.

I think that the lacing combined with the side zip of these boots may just be what I need this side of buying Engineer/Cruiser type boots which is not going to happen.

Any last minute opinions? I already know about the dangers of catching laces on the shifter or footpeg. There is also the fact that they are not armored like dedicated motorcycle boots. A compromise that I am willing to make. Any other reasons why not that I haven't already thought of? This looks like a decent compromise for someone in my position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heidi,

I would find a local place to try on a pair of the Icon Patrol Boots. They have laces & buckles, are waterproof, very adjustable, and all leather motorcycle specific boots. I have been using them for several years, summer and winter.

Everytime that someone has a comment about boots, you push these. Must be great boots... but a of yet, not 1 pair of cycle boots that I've tried on fit me. & how high are there? I've settled on a minimum of 8". I'm pretty sure that nobody around me carries the Icon brand, either. Is it worth another return? I really don't know.

PS... they appear to have the same kind of adjustments that didn't fit that the Aerostich lights had.

They are not very high...probably not over 8", and with the buckles are very adjustable in the ankle/lower shin area. I do like these boots a lot. They have served me well. We have ridden in a lot of the same weather...my feet have never been wet, or cold with these boots. And they can be had for $170.

Just trying to help ya out.

Good luck.

If you're gonna pick tactical boots, you can't really go wrong with the Danners. I have two pairs of their hiking boots and absolutely love them. Most people on my Dept wear them. My next pair will probably be a set of Danners, but I'm a cheap bastard and look for clearance sales. My favorite boots are Converse Tacticals.

I am not a fan of zippered boots. My least favorite pair of boots has side zippers. They're convenient to put on, but they're just funny. Tuck your laces into your boots and they won't get caught on anything. Good luck.

The "Tactical" company makes some really nice boots also. I've got a number of friends using these for riding and they love them.

They have both woman's and men's versions. The Storm series is also waterproof and breathable.

Here's a link:

https://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=5-11-Tactical-Womens-ATAC-Storm-Boot&i=449103

Danner also makes a woman's version of the Striker II GoreTex that you mention above.

https://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Danner-Womens-Striker-II-45-GTX-4-5-Uniform-Boot&i=420237

I've been wearing the same Alpinestars Ridge boots, for the past 80k miles. They don't have zippers, just velcro and I've had the velcro replaced once under warranty once. I've thought about having zippers added thats how much I love these. I bought them for $99, but prices have gone up.

I've been wearing "jungle boots" for decades.

The pros:

cheap-ish (especially if you had sons in the military), durable (still trying to wear out the last two pairs I bought several years ago), comfortable all day long - on and off the bike, waterproof (Goretex liner), low maintenance (a little Kiwi once in a while)

The con:

Not as much protection as true "motorcycle boots".

Enjoy!

Have a pair of Danner Acadias? I bought in Korea in 88 when I was stationed there, they're the ones that lace way down towards your toes... five or six resoles later and they're still waterproof and still my favorite duty boots. I don't wear them riding because I prefer Sidi for that but they are by FAR the best investment I've ever made in footwear followed closely by Vasque for all things off the bike and Sidi for all things on. Good luck!

I need a boot that comes in liquid silver grey.

Yeh, that's what ime thinkin,

seriously now: I have cruiserworks boots. not much side protection if any at all but dam comfortable. Easy on Easy off slip on.

Dave

Thanks for all of the comments, folks.

HelzBells... I saw those boots not long ago. It's one of those things... nowhere to try them on. I'm at the point where I don't want to eat return shipping costs AGAIN... since this isn't my first rodeo trying to find boots that fit. The only place that has anything worth trying on is the Cycle Gear up the road from me & I can tell by looking at their offerings that anything they have will not fit me. Their choice is extremely limited. Tactical boots are a dime a dozen around here. After all, I live near the largest Navy base in the US.

Danners are awesome. I'm currently deployed and was issued two pairs for the deployment. I couldn't tell exactly which model they are, but they are the first boot that I have had that I can wear for as many as 18 hours a day and my knees not be killing me. I like them so much that I am doing my best to not wear the 2nd pair so that I won't ruin them and be able to have them when I get home.

For use on a motorcycle, I'd be concerned about the lack of ankle protection that tactical, work or hiking boots provide. If you ever do take a tumble, your ankles aren't going to appreciate how rugged and "technical" your boots look around the parking lot. There is a reason that they make motorcycle specific boots, and generally it is increased ankle protection.

I've been wearing the TCX (which was Oxtar at one time) X-Five Plus GoreTex boots for the past couple of years now and must say that I have zero complaints about them. They do have side zippers and Velcro above the zipper (above the ankle), but I seriously doubt that these are coming off in any crash where your foot stays attached to your leg.

They are completely waterproof. Never even had a hint of dampness inside. And I feel like they do breathe a bit better than some of the waterproof boots I've owned in the past.

If it's a sizing thing and you just can't get them on over your calves (they do seem to have a wide range of adjustment on the Velcro), then that's obviously an issue for you, but for security, protection and comfort. I think they can't be beat for the price (~$240).

Details at Motorcycle Gear.com

YMMV of course.

I agree that motorcycle specific boots will offer significantly better lower leg protection. My boots have shin guards, ankle bone armor, toe protection, foot protection and full leg zipper with velcro outer closure to keep the boots on in an accident. Non motorcycle boots can't compete with these safety features that are made specifically for biking. My MC boots are as comfortable to wear as house slippers and I can hike in them with no issues.

If there is a boot or two that you like, try sending the company a message that says 1) I like your boots 2) I have an ankle/leg sizing problem 3) Is there anything you can do to help me? If they can offer a custom fit or have unadvertised sizing then get into the actual fitting dimensions with them.

I picked up a pair do Daytona Road Star GTX boots from Revzilla this year and love them. They have lots of adjustability to help customize them to the rider. The other plus is that they use Goretex. Only drawback is the price. Take a look at the video they may meet your needs.

Good motorcycle specific boots have better ankles and heels protection, among other things. The heel bones are going to shatter into pieces on impact and there is a reason they all have heel cup. Motorcycle boots also prevent hyperextension of the feet that hiking or leather boots don't.

Long ago I dropped the idea of looking for 'protection' and 'comfort' at the same time, in a pair of motorcycle boots. They are pretty much mutual exclusive. If I want protection, I know I won't be able to walk comfortably or vice versa. As long as they don't cause pain, for me, protection is number 1.