New boots for Christmas...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only wear Danner Acadias for riding. Insulated for really cold weather, regular and desert versions the rest of the time. Protective, comfortable, and comfortable to walk or hike in. Cheap they're not.

So, it is appearing that I'm getting new boots for Christmas. I think that this time around I have decided to try a pair of tactical style boots as opposed to the ill fitting motorcycle boots (Oxtar Matrix that only closes by the velcro. Will not zipper) that I've had or tried on up to this point. The ones that I'm looking at are the Danner men's Striker II Gore Tex Tactical boot. https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24435326&cp=4406646.4413987.4417989.52416826. I picked these because they are fully leather & Gore Tex, of course.
I have large ankles & calves despite not being terribly overweight & finding boots... men or woman's... has been a real issue for me. As a last resort at dedicated motorcycle boots, I tried the Aerostich Combat Touring Lights a few months back. They appeared to have a lot of adjustability. It was a no-go & I once again had to eat the return shipping for those.

I think that the lacing combined with the side zip of these boots may just be what I need this side of buying Engineer/Cruiser type boots which is not going to happen.

Any last minute opinions? I already know about the dangers of catching laces on the shifter or footpeg. There is also the fact that they are not armored like dedicated motorcycle boots. A compromise that I am willing to make. Any other reasons why not that I haven't already thought of? This looks like a decent compromise for someone in my position.

I wore Sorel Chugalug boots for several years.

51zo3ACm3LL._SY395_.jpg

They are kind of a pain to get on and off, but you can walk around in them all day without any problems, and they just look like normal shoes. On the down side, they aren't great for a lot of wind exposure under 40 degrees, but they seem to have adequate water protection for riding on the FJR.

How much is it worth to you to have boots that fit? I have a pair of Bates boots that I have been wearing for around 10 years. They are on their second set of heels. They are not as protective as the modern road race styled boots but they are as comfy as a pair of slippers from day one. You send them tracings of your foot and a bunch of measurements and they make you a pair of boots. I have scrawny bird legs and these are the only zipper boots I have owned that fit my calves properly.

For use on a motorcycle, I'd be concerned about the lack of ankle protection that tactical, work or hiking boots provide. If you ever do take a tumble, your ankles aren't going to appreciate how rugged and "technical" your boots look around the parking lot. There is a reason that they make motorcycle specific boots, and generally it is increased ankle protection.
I've been wearing the TCX (which was Oxtar at one time) X-Five Plus GoreTex boots for the past couple of years now and must say that I have zero complaints about them. They do have side zippers and Velcro above the zipper (above the ankle), but I seriously doubt that these are coming off in any crash where your foot stays attached to your leg.

They are completely waterproof. Never even had a hint of dampness inside. And I feel like they do breathe a bit better than some of the waterproof boots I've owned in the past.

If it's a sizing thing and you just can't get them on over your calves (they do seem to have a wide range of adjustment on the Velcro), then that's obviously an issue for you, but for security, protection and comfort. I think they can't be beat for the price (~$240).

Details at Motorcycle Gear.com

YMMV of course.
did you read my entire comment? Pretty sure that I stated that I realize that cycle specific boots are armored but I was accepting of the fact that tactical boots are not. My present boots are ill fitted. They have zippers that will not zipper up. I've been using the velcro only... & that barely meets around my calf. You haven't brought up points that I haven't already thought about. What I'm figuring is boots that are all leather & actually fit are better than boots that don't fit. I'm not attempting to appear cool. I have tried many pairs of motorcycle specific boots & paid the return shipping because they didn't fit. If I cannot try them on it is likely that I won't be buying them. The boots that you've linked to are almost identical to the ones that I have now... except it was when Oxtar owned the company rights. They don't fit properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heidi,

See if you can find someplace local to try on a pair of the TCX X-Five Plus boots. They tend to be a bit roomier than others I've owned. The zipper only goes just over the ankle and then it is a large section of velcro above that , which gives you more variability for calf diameter. So if you can get the zippers up over your ankles you'll be good to go.

How much is it worth to you to have boots that fit? I have a pair of Bates boots that I have been wearing for around 10 years. They are on their second set of heels. They are not as protective as the modern road race styled boots but they are as comfy as a pair of slippers from day one. You send them tracings of your foot and a bunch of measurements and they make you a pair of boots. I have scrawny bird legs and these are the only zipper boots I have owned that fit my calves properly.
I have an opposite issue. Will look into this. Thank you everyone for comments.

Heidi,See if you can find someplace local to try on a pair of the TCX X-Five Plus boots. They tend to be a bit roomier than others I've owned. The zipper only goes just over the ankle and then it is a large section of velcro above that , which gives you more variability for calf diameter. So if you can get the zippers up over your ankles you'll be good to go.
Those boots are almost identical to what I have that doesn't fit.

luvtoride said:
I have an opposite issue. Will look into this. Thank you everyone for comments.

Heidi,See if you can find someplace local to try on a pair of the TCX X-Five Plus boots. They tend to be a bit roomier than others I've owned. The zipper only goes just over the ankle and then it is a large section of velcro above that , which gives you more variability for calf diameter. So if you can get the zippers up over your ankles you'll be good to go.
Those boots are almost identical to what I have that doesn't fit. I'm not exxagerating Fred. This has been a real issue for me. I'm kind of built like my aunt... & she has problems finding boots, also... although she isn't looking for cycle boots.

If memory serves, you were trying to deal with this dilemma not too long ago also. My suggestion would be to find a pair of motorcycle specific boots you like for protection and comfort and that come close to working for you. Then either with some good pictures or a willingness to deal with return shipping, find a saddlery or bridle shop which I'd imagine you could in Virginia. If they don't do their own leather work they could probably point you towards someone who might be able to customize those boots to your liking. You might end up with the best pair of riding boots you've ever owned.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator: