New Seat Purchase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel_Gin

Reaction score
Last summer I took a short trip (250 miles) on the OEM seat to see if my butt and seat could coexist on long trips. Well after about an hour and a half I had my answer, very uncomfortable, and I still had another two and a half hours to go. Since that was my only trip I had planned I wasn’t rushed to buy a new seat right away and I had plenty of time to do my research. All the reading of reviews, other riders write ups on this forum and seeing how fast they sold here I went with a Russell Day Long. In some of the reading I had seen someone usually organized a group buy so I kept a close eye out for one, was fortunate to come across one and got on the list (limited to 100 people & a 20% discount). Then the search began for seat pans, I didn’t want to convert the only seat I had just in case I didn’t like it. Plus I wanted to keep the OEM seat because I planned on using it for my everyday commute to work. Got lucky again, came across ExtremeMarine parting out his bike after a get off and landed a set of seat pans. (If he sells anything else, feel safe buying from him. Smooth transaction.)

Order was placed in January, shipped the seat to Russell and received the new seats early March. Put them on the bike and knew immediately I need handlebar risers; I was leaning forward a lot more compared to the OEM seat. Plus I had talked with the seat builder (Mike) who said I would need risers to move the handlebars up and back, I would be leaning forward a lot more because the seat is higher. (I’m 5’8” with a 30” inseam) So another round of research began and ended up going with a new Heli Tripletree.

All said and done I bought, seat pans, Russell Day Long seat, Heli Tripletree and paid my dealer to install the tripletree. I had a hard time spending that much money on something I haven’t seen in person let alone tried, I kept telling myself you did the research, so I just turned my head opened up the wallet. In the end I spent about $1000. Over the years I have taken long trips on four different bikes and none of them were comfortable. I went on a long trip about a month ago and this is the most comfortable I have ever been on a motorcycle. Two hours in to a 240 mile run I knew I made the right decision, went none stop for the full 240 miles and zero butt pain; I felt like I could have done another 240 right then. Now the only thing that will hold me back from a trip on my FJR is time and my wife.
smile.png

I have read some people don’t like the Day Long because of the wings and I have to admit I wasn’t too fond of the seat for that reason as well. But the research kept pointing back to the Day Long. I came across a picture of the Day Long that caught my eye because the vinyl material looked similar to the OEM seat. My thought was, the wings are still there but the design on the vinyl still gave it the OEM look and it might offer some friction so I won’t slide around much, so I went with the vinyl basket weave with the half moon stitch. The first time I put the seat on my bike I was thinking how bad is this going to look. Well I was pleasantly surprised it didn’t look half bad in person. I planned on only using the Day Long only for trips but now I leave it on all the time. So if you think the wings look bad give it a second chance.

I didn’t see the vinyl basket weave listed on Russell’s website so I emailed them a picture of the seat I had seen asking if that was available. They replied back saying it was and said to write it in the comments section that I wanted the vinyl basket weave. The people at Russell are very nice to deal with and always responsive to returning a phone call or email. Great company to work with.

Yeah I spent a lot of money for comfort but it was worth it. Add in that I have a reasonable chance the triple tree (I kept the OEM triple tree) and seat will fit my next FJR makes it even better I can get many years out of this purchase.

DayLongSeat2.jpg

Leftsideview2.jpg

HeliTripletree.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with the heli-Bar and russell seat rebuild two years ago for the same reasons that you did. Never second guessed my decision after the first ride! You won't either. Yeh, it's a lot of money, but definitely worth it.

After that 1st long trip and sore butt, The Russell is the most beautiful seat I have ever cast my eyes upon.

I recently set mine in the highest position to combat knee pain on trips (it worked) then had to add a Laminar lip to the windscreen to raise the air a bit, and switched the Helibars tripleclamp for an MCL to get 1/4 inch more height and 3 degrees more forward angle (wrist pain) I had been running with the outer pins on the bars removed but have them back in place now. Like the Russell seat, the Rifle shield gets rave reviews here. I guess I'll try one of those next.

Does the farkleing ever end?

Think about those of us who bought our FJRs sight unseen before they'd ever been brought into the US! A Russel was easy-peasy after that. :)

I cheated. Even though I had to wait longer (an '02 order for an '03 model), I already had a Russell on my then-current bike.

deang,

Your bike and saddles look fantastic.

I just shipped my saddle(s) and passenger backrest off to Russell today expecting a new startup run on 7.23. I still haven't decided on materials or color yet. I'm leaning toward the basket-weave in half moon quilting pattern with baby butt vinyl on the sides in graphite color (dark gray/black).

Just wondering if you can feel the basket-weave on your butt after a long day's ride. I get a sample and it's certainly VERY 3-D.

Russell also sent me samples of the baby's butt and Gripper Vinyl (BTW, the Gripper feels/looks almost identical to the FJR OEM covering.

Thanks for your help!

Congrats on the upgrades! Makes a helluva difference, doesn't it?

My Russell came to me third-hand with the velour cover. Now, 4+ years later and ... uh ... prolly 40-some-thousand miles, the velour is definitely looking a bit wore out. I think this winter I'll get 'em to re-cover it and I really like the cover & stitching on your seat - I think that's the route I'll go.

Thanks for taking the time to document your 'sperience!

IMHO long distance motorcycles do not come with seats. They come with seat starter kits that you use as a base to build a seat that fits you and your needs. I have tried Corbin, Sargent, Bill Mayer, Spencer and Russell. Whatever my next touring/rally bike is I can guarantee that I will just go straight to Russell for a ride in appointment. It is 1300 miles from my house to there. After the seat is finished I ride 250 miles to my dad's house, spend the night and ride 1050 miles home the next day. That is my break in period. I have done it on my exBMW and my FJR. I will do it on the next bike also. Yes, it is harder to reach the ground but we spend much more time with our feet on the pegs than on the ground. I am a satisfied Russell user, I think you will be also. Not paid for this plug.

As has been noted before, you can spend as much for a combination of partial solutions and still not have the comfort of a truly ground-up custom seat like the Russell.

Dang, Deang... nice lookin' seat. To the rest of yas,

You guys are killing me. Wish the Russels weren't so much $$, and that you guys didn't scoop them up so FAST when they pop up in the classifieds on this forum. I had a Corbin on my 05 up until this spring when I bought my Sergeant. It was a little better, so I stuck with it. However, this summer on my "Coast to coast in 48 1/2 hours" ride, I was reminded more than once that I haven't found the right seat yet. Much serious butt pain. Nothing like back to back 14 and 16 hour days to reveal the comfort (or lack thereof) of ANY given seat. The last time my butt hurt that bad...

SPANKING.jpg

... was about 51 years ago when I got caught stealing some caps from Kmart. I was sitting on the ground, pounding on the protruding "tail" of a roll of caps, popping them off one at a time... with a rock. Dad heard the noise and came out. He asked me where I got them. I lied and said I found them. "Where did you find them? Show me." I replied, "Right over there..." and I pointed to the grass nearby. Dad held the clean, new, and dry cardboard box with the little roll of caps in it. He examined the KMart price sticker. "Didn't I just tell you that you couldn't have these at KMart less than an hour ago?" Playing dumb, I replied, "I don't know." He continued, "And if you just now found these in the grass, how is it possible that the box is perfectly dry, but the grass is wet...?" It had just rained and the ground was soaked. My answer: "Uggghhh..." About 5 seconds later, I was in the process of getting a serious butt-ache. Not a half-hour later, I was standing at the cash register at that same Kmart, handing the caps back to the lady at the register while trying to explain through my tears what I'd done.

On the way to the store, dad had me convinced I was probably going to jail. Not that I cared. At least I wouldn't get any more spankings there...

Gary

darksider #44

So, after totally up everything you've spent trying to NOT buy a Russell, did you really save any money and end up with the same level of performance?

I know I didn't. The next time 'round I went straight to the Russell and quit fucking around.

On the way to the store, dad had me convinced I was probably going to jail. Not that I cared. At least I wouldn't get any more spankings there...
Gary

darksider #44
You think not? A cute little fellow like you, a spanking would be the least unpleasant thing to have happen to your butt in jail. Unless you are doing something to toughen up your butt you better come off some of that money and get a true custom seat. If I find out you've been watching Brokeback Mountain looking for ways to toughen up your behind, our friendship is over.
smile.png

Gary

darksider #44
You think not? A cute little fellow like you, a spanking would be the least unpleasant thing to have happen to your butt in jail. Unless you are doing something to toughen up your butt you better come off some of that money and get a true custom seat. If I find out you've been watching Brokeback Mountain looking for ways to toughen up your behind, our friendship is over.
smile.png
Dayum RH! Just when I think I know what kinda guy you are you go and say some shit like this. I like it!!!

Gary, I found $5 outside the corner grocery 51 years ago, I was 8. When I went inside there was a handwritten sign at the register saying a kid lost $5 outside the store. I kept the $5 and later that day I went to a hobby store with my Dad and bought a model car. When we got home he got to thinking and asked where I'd gotten the money since my allowance was only 25 cents a week. I lied and he knew it because he'd been to the " little store" and saw the sign. Hauled my ass to the hobby shop to return the model, then hauled same ass, now good and red, to the little store to explain what I'd done and give back the 5 bucks. I'm sure the store's owner thought those were tears of remorse, he was only partially right. Thanks for reminding me of a great memory!

On topic, I'm very happy with my Laam seat. It's not that I notice how comfy it is, rather after 8 hours I don't notice the seat much at all.