OHFJR Rack Damage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, during the Malibu ride, DocDanDC and Slappy both pointed out that my Givi was bouncing a lot more than it should be. Slappy and I took off the Givi and the cover to the Givi mount and found it was cracked. I put everything back together and thanks to Slappy's ingenuity, and a folded up 12 pack box, we were able to stiffen the top case for the rest of the ride. When I got back home, I took off the trunk and this is what it looks like:

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

I have a friend that is a machinist and I am going to take it to him to see if it can be repaired and what can be done to stiffen it up and possible keep it from happening again. Has anyone else had this happen to an OHFJR Rack. I know somebody else posted that theirs had damage around the bolt hole. My bolt hole is intact. I will keep everyone posted as to what we do to fix it or if Mark can fabricate a different one at a good price that will not vibrate or bounce as much and that has some stiffeners put in under it, possibly even some kind of rubber damping material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, mine cracked too. Caught it before it went all the way across though.

They have a newer, better built rack available.

I didn't get much of a discount, but think mine was the first to fail. I think I abuse the rack, dirt roads and all, so didn't squawk when having paid nearly new price for new rack. Since then, IIRC, 2x more have failed.

The new rack IS much better.

Contact them and see if they'll help you.

Looks like it's cracked from every angle...

Take it to a welding shop, have them chamfer both sides for full penetration, and heli-arc it back together. With that big top case bouncing around back there (on that long moment arm) you've found the weak spot. A piece of 1/8" aluminum flat stock 2" wide placed underneath will provide all the support needed...Of course next time it breaks you'll find the next weak spot...

Good luck.

--G

I seem to recall that the first racks from OHFJR back in 06 were recalled - due to cracking.

I'd suggest you contact them to see whats up wit dat ...

Final Resolution:

I sent this to Duane at PCA and he is going to replace the rack. It is on its way with an EDD of November 25th. :yahoo: Thanks again Duane for the great customer service.

Stupid question time (actually 2 stupid questions)

1. What exactly is OHFJR?

2. Is that rack base aluminum? In some photos, it looks like some kind of composite.

Yeah, escape artist is right.....does indeed look cracked. I think a few more pictures are in order, though....we need more opinions on it's being cracked. Was it seven or fifteen pounds max you could put in the upper box?

Yeah, escape artist is right.....does indeed look cracked. I think a few more pictures are in order, though....we need more opinions on it's being cracked. Was it seven or fifteen pounds max you could put in the upper box?
I think you're right odot, it *looks* cracked but we need more evidence. Can we get an x-ray?

When you've got a big flat plate cantilevered off the one support point at that aft hole, did you expect it not to crack?

2. Is that rack base aluminum? In some photos, it looks like some kind of composite.

OHFJR (Duane) owns Premier Cycle Accessories, where the rack was purchased. Great customer service there.

I believe the rack is cast iron, powder coated. The new racks are thicker than the one pictured.

No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people that make you feel stupid for asking questions that you may not be enlightened about. :blink:

1. Jagermeister answered already.

2. It was the first of the racks built by Duane and it was a different type and size of aluminum than he is using now. The rack that I just received and installed is thicker and of a better quality aluminum with a much better design.

When you've got a big flat plate cantilevered off the one support point at that aft hole, did you expect it not to crack?
If it was built correctly to begin with, no. Also, for all the rest of the questions about weight, the most I ever put in their was approximately 6 pounds of weight, so it wasn't originally caused by that. Duane provided a new one that is much thicker and angled differently. I put it on the bike last night and it is very sturdy and the case doesn't bounce like it did with the old one. There is more rigidity to it. I also placed garden hose gaskets around the holes where they mount to the bike and this seemed to help a bit.

The rack is made from air craft Aluminum. Yes that rack should not crack, I have one on my bike..

Premier is a top notch company and stands behind its product