Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lot's of good stuff from Jestal....
So if I'm understanding you correctly, If I see 5W-40 Rotella T Synthetic on the shelf at Wally world, I won't turn my engine into a time bomb by using it during the next oil change?

I doubt that it would care at all.... It wouldn't be my first choice (this is a religious experience afterall) but the engine would be fine. The gearbox action might change slightly but I doubt that it would be significant.
All hail jestal.....Master of all oil knowledge.....we're not worthy....we're not worthy....(I really liked the religious experience part) :eek:k: .....or as the younger members of the forum would say...."Your the man".... :)

Excellent info from jestal, pertant, and informative. Now can we get back to that crisco thing? :blink:

FWIW, am running a little experiment of my own. Have been using M1 15-50 in Frank for just about forever. For breakin used Rotella 15-40. Tried Rotella Syn with STP for a while. Recently got some Amsoil 10-40 scoot oil at a good price, so thought I'd give it a try. Results after 1500 miles as opposed to M1 15-50 Gold Cap, no difference in clutch action, more notchy on shift action, the only real difference noted is that the Amsoil is roughly twice as spendy. It's back to Mobil1 for me.

FWIW, am running a little experiment of my own. Have been using M1 15-50 in Frank for just about forever. For breakin used Rotella 15-40. Tried Rotella Syn with STP for a while. Recently got some Amsoil 10-40 scoot oil at a good price, so thought I'd give it a try. Results after 1500 miles as opposed to M1 15-50 Gold Cap, no difference in clutch action, more notchy on shift action, the only real difference noted is that the Amsoil is roughly twice as spendy. It's back to Mobil1 for me.
WORD.

I use Mobil 1 15w 50 full synth. it's been used since 600 miles and works great.

BTW.... Rad.....

I heard an add on the radio that napa has the m1 1550 on sale @ 4.99 qt.

I am going to check this out...

I have used the Shell Rotella T synthetic and eight ounces of STP for over 25k miles now and the FJR shifts smooth as buttah.
Now, if I could just get rid of that awful CLUNK when I first put it in gear......

So easy to avoid the clunk. Start the engine like normal and when you hop on to ride off hesitate just an instant before popping it into gear for the first time. Hit the kill button, shift into first gear with the engine off, kill button back on as you pull in the clutch lever and hit the starter button. Let the starter break the clutch plates loose the first time with the trans already into gear and there will never a clunk be heard again. After you do this a few times it will be as quick and natural as just clunking majorly into first like you do now. And you do not even have to change the oil.

STP.....gag....gag.....arghgggg....

Last edited by a moderator:
WORD.

I use Mobil 1 15w 50 full synth. it's been used since 600 miles and works great.

BTW.... Rad.....

I heard an add on the radio that napa has the m1 1550 on sale @ 4.99 qt.

I am going to check this out...
Visited my local NAPA this last weekend. At least out west, the 15-50 is on sale for $5.69, the thinner energy conserving stuff is available at $4.99 sale price. Local store did have the NAPA "Gold" filters on sale, gonna try one on the next change.

--G

STP.....gag....gag.....arghgggg....
ibid
+1 Why use that junk when you can have.....

logo_blue.jpg

Is STP oil treatment Jestal's Kryptonite? Wouldn't that make Andy Granatelli - Lex Luthor? :blink:

Then who is Lois Lane?..... :unsure:
I think this might be her... that looks like a light-sweet refined oil that would be more to Jestal's liking....

Stop looking now if females in bikinis offend you....

car-babe-oil-371.jpg

Is STP oil treatment Jestal's Kryptonite? Wouldn't that make Andy Granatelli - Lex Luthor? :blink:

That would be Dolly, Andy's better half. Real sweet gal, IMO. 'Course, Andy told me the story of STP. Ended it with a wink and a wry smile. "Made lots of money off that stuff."

That would be Dolly, Andy's better half. Real sweet gal, IMO. 'Course, Andy told me the story of STP. Ended it with a wink and a wry smile. "Made lots of money off that stuff."
Actually Nut, if Andy is Lex, then Dolly would be Kitty Kowalski.... :) Lois would be Jestal's squeeze, who you see pictured above testing the latest in lubricants...

Hey jestal, does it come with a bridge, from say, Brooklyn. :D

Well, I guess you could put it under your bike and have it trip left turn traffic lights.

Last edited by a moderator: