Peter Behm Wins Iron Butt Rally!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you not on LDRider...

What do you do after you win the IBR? Disney World? I don't think so.

For context, the V Twins are an IBR finishing couple.

Dear Mike & Lisa
What did you do to Peter? How many athletes do you see indicating they are going to Disney World after winning an event? Nah, not our Peter! No adrenaline in Disney World.

Today we visited with a friend who lives near Yellowstone.Conversation:

OUR FRIEND Hey you should have been here yesterday. One of your pals who just won the IBR was here".

V TWINS Peter ?

OUR FRIEND Yeah that's the guy.

V TWINS Where is he now?

OUR FRIEND "Up there" pointing to an 11,000 foot mountain peak!!!!!

Yes Mike and Lisa you got Peter so fired up that he does not want to come down so right now Peter is snowmobiling in Montana above the 10,000 foot mark at the most dangerous time of year for avalanche incidents.

BTW, I checked and his SPOT is not on. GOOD LUCK PETER!!!
Then Kneebone responded...

Thank you for the update on Peter. I ran into him the morning after the rally and he was so excited - which is unlike him. Of course assumed it was for winning the rally, but in talking with him I learned that he was so excited to go snowmobiling - I am paraphrasing a bit here to condense a long conversation, but it went along the lines of, "snowmobiling in July is not something you can do every day!"
All I could think was, neither is winning the IBR :)

Atually it turned out to be a pretty tame ride as most of the snow had melted since we put this plan together a few weeks ago. But I can now say I've ridden on the 4th of July.

P7030358.jpg

I also want to thank everyone for their kind words. I can't tell you how much they have meant to me. I can only hope that over time I will get to meet all of you. That whole evening was something that I will never forget. I knew I had run a good leg but was expecting something around 5th. To say it was a surprise to be the winner is an understatement.

Congratulations to everyone else on their finishes and also thoughts and prayers out to those that are healing up from injuries. Hopefully everyone is back to 100% quickly.

Hey Peter! I want to add my congrats too. What a ride! You made all the feejer brethren and sistren proud.

And now the rest of us can point to our rally results and say, "Well, yeah, I got beat, but it was by Peter Behm." ;)

Great job!

It was my daughter's first birthday, and the opportunity to spend it with here AND have the finisher status in the bag was enough to make me forgo the juicy Carson City/ Sacramento bonus.
When someone said you had finished the rally early, some questioned why you would do something like that... I think your reason why was a very good one and glad you saw that as well... the little buggers grow up way too fast so spend the time with 'em while you can! B)

And congratulations, Peter... on the IBR AND snowmobiling in July... now, go buy a lottery ticket!! :lol:

Congrats to Peter B. and the fellow FJR riders on the list who made it to the finish.

Outstanding ride!

I went in looking for the ultimate road trip, and I got it. 48 states, 4 corners, and a sampling of capitals.

What was it like on the final 26 hours? Woke up Thursday morning knowing I had 1770 miles to the finish. Gaining 2 hours in time zones helped.

Would I change anything? In a word, NO.

As Bungie mentioned somewhere, the bike will remain in L.A. Over the next several months I hope to become more familiar with the roads and riders out West. Looking forward to my new riding life.

Peter Delean

Someone pointed out a pretty significant error my scores for Meese in legs 1 and 2 in the above data, which I posted on July 2nd. I had a problem in a spreadsheet that calculated some of the values before the scores were released in their final form.

I believe this is now correct:

ibr2011score4.gif

A reminder that the data extrapolates Meeses ride to include the bonii he was apparently heading for before the critter knocked him down. At the time of the accident it appeared he had enough time to get Carson City, Sacramento, San Ysidro and get back to Ontario before the penalty phase.

I also want to be clear that is is not my intention to attempt to use "what if" to elevate the status of Meeses DNF, or in any way denigrate the tremendous achievement of Behm and the other top finishers. As the old saying goes, "To finish first, you must first finish." I only seek to compare the relative potential of the different basic routing options chosen by the top riders.

Anyway, the corrected data changes rocks some of my earlier conclusions.

On one hand I still think it's possible the biggest dogs could have scored higher with the 4-corners route that put Madawaska in Leg 1, than with the Hyder/4 corners route with Madawaska in leg 2.

But there's too much "what if" in there to say that confidently. I think if Meese had skipped Cheyenne he might have gotten Harrisburg, a 518 point swing. And who knows whether the hours he spent retrieving his 150 point towel cost him more than 150 points in lost opportunity.

So possibly his route was indeed the one with the highest potential. It's close though - I'd love to see how some of the top routers would tweak my fantasy route, and how many points they could squeeze out of it.

Many apologies for the confusing error in my earlier post.

Congrats to Peter B. and all the other finishers.

I am back to work for the first day, and in the process of getting my life back in order.

Peter D., look forward to seeing you in SoCal when you come back to see us.
I like that nice, small number that's now in your signature...

I went in looking for the ultimate road trip, and I got it. 48 states, 4 corners, and a sampling of capitals.
Memorable quote heard during the ride...after bagging Key West I pulled into a gas station somewhere in central-north FL. It had been raining much of the way down and back. Peter D. was there, and we'd both been watching green blobs on NEXRAD re-form into red/yellow storm cells directly in our path.

Peter commented, "This thing looks like a lava lamp!" :lol: . That bought me a couple extra hours of riding.

Over the next several months I hope to become more familiar with the roads and riders out West.

Peter Delean
If you ever need a place to crash in the Phoenix area, my door's open.

Plus you get a $10 plaque and a license plate backer....but to have Warchild say that you " look like hammered horsecock when he is *fresh*, let alone after several thousand miles".....priceless.... :yahoo:
Much better than being a "rusty can of used fuck", don't you think? :lol:

Plus you get a $10 plaque and a license plate backer....but to have Warchild say that you " look like hammered horsecock when he is *fresh*, let alone after several thousand miles".....priceless.... :yahoo:
You were just waiting for a chance to use that weren't you :p

You were just waiting for a chance to use that weren't you :p
Hell YES!! There are very few venues one can mutter that particular ditty without getting into trouble! :lol:

Better late than never... catching up from being gone. Awesome ride Peter and congrats to all the other IBR participants...

It was great to read all the posts and follow through the forum... Thanks to those adding their insight. Way to represent the PNW crew L&S for sharing the FD.

A speedy recovery to all those needing it. My thoughts and well wishes are with you.

Looks like the IBR presented me with a new adventure. Although likely not in 11 days - maybe 16 to 20, but four corners and 48 states with capitols is definitely a future trip for the FJR.

Looking forward to the next IBR and hopefully, the committee will see past the few over zealous individuals and allow us arm chair followers insight again in 2013.