Pilot Road 6 GT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone running PR 6 GT's on their FJR? Wondering if you noticed longer life from the 4's or 5's.
I never liked any of the Michelin roads until I tried the 5 GT.
Loved these.
Just but Rodd 6GT on last week. Only a few hundred miles but they're great so far.

I installed the New road 6 on my 14’, then put 1800 miles on it. smooth as silk and handles well. got home and couldn’t tell that I had just put 1800 miles on it, with my wife and loaded luggage as well.. seems to be a great tire.

Reminder that this thread is about Pilot Road 6 GTs and to remain on topic. You want to talk about something else, send a PM to the person, use one of the MANY other threads we likely have on the subject, or start your own thread.

Thanks.
The Management

Update: Sigh. Seems even a reminder goes unheeded. This thread is a good one and shouldn't be moved to NEPRT because a few people seem to think it's an invivation to talk about their non PR6 GT experiences. I guess we'll try a combination of more direct guidance and/or just toasting off-topic stuff.

Last edited:
I replaced a Road 5 GT front with a Road 6 GT. Rides great but think I noticed more tire roar

Reviews around the web are outstanding for Road 6. In fact, I just now ordered a set for my 2014 FJR. I bought her in Oct 2021 with 1838 mi and now have 4400+ miles. The OEM tires are starting to flatten slightly in the center and slip slightly when pressed moderately in turns. In short, my confidence in the 8-year-old OEM tires is starting to give way. So, instead of waiting to buy tires over winter for spring 2023, as was my original game plan, I am getting them now. I will mount them at my first opportunity. They aren't cheap but many say they go 12000 to 15000 mi. And... prices are likely going up. Ride Safe.

Got a pair of Road 6 GTs ten days ago for my new-to-me 2005 FJR ABS. Have around 700 miles on them so far and enjoying them much more than the leaky 7 year old Roadsmart 3 tires that the bike came with. They’ve been very good on both freeway and in the twisties, two-up with gear.

I had 5 GTs on Pandora, wore the sides of the front down to the wear bars in the cupping. This was the only tire set where I managed to wear out the front before the rear! Less than a year old -- I was not impressed. 4s lasted much longer.

I replaced the front only with a 6 GT. Michelin states that the difference between the 5 and 6 is that they have applied the "MICHELIN® 2CT+ Technology" that was part of the 5 rear to the 6 front. Basically, it's touted to stiffen the sidewalls under cornering and increase longevity. Time will tell, but I passed Pandora on to my son shortly thereafter so I'm not sure how much time it will take.

For the brief period I rode it with the 6 GT up front, I found the dry handling to be excellent, equal to what I came to expect from the 5 GT and several 4 GTs before it. I never had it out on wet roads though.

As for differences between the rears, I haven't come across anything definitive from Michelin. The fronts looked the same and photos of the rears look the same, so differences, if any, must be internal.

UPDATE - I have mounted the Road 6 GTs on my 2014 FJR and they are fantastic. Confidence in the turns is significantly improved. The first ride on them required taking a few wet roads (both concrete and asphalt) on which I discovered the wet grip of the Road 6 GTs is better than the dry grip of my prior OEM tires. I am super satisfied. There is less road noise as well. I can highly recommend these based on initial quality. Still, I am interested in how long they last. A few high mileage guys said they already have over 10k mi on them and the tires are not yet ready for replacement. Only time will tell if that works out the same for me. I sure hope so. If they last that long, I may become a Road 6 GT guy for life.

I just ordered a set yesterday. Pretty damned expensive, so I hope they work well and have a long life. I typically wear out PR2s in 3,000 to 3,400 miles, and the Pilot Powers I have run recently barely made it to 3,000. (BUT, the Pilot Power front retained excellent handling and tire profile to the end, unlike the PR2 fronts). I hope these 6 GTs are worth the money...

Just added new pilot 6gt rear to my sub 2000 mi pilot 6 gt front. Bike rides and handles amazing. No regrets. We’ll see how things last

Have maybe 600-700 miles on the new rear. So have a fresh set front and rear.

Love them. Very confidence inspiring. However hope they last but to be fair I have to ride on gravel more than preferred so may be at a disadvantage.

Recommend to anyone

4s were better than 5s and 6s are better than 4s. Currently 7000 miles on a set of 6GTs. They feel great on the road and have held their shape well, no weird wear patterns so far. They will easily go past 10000.

Latest posts